Author Topic: Recommendations please  (Read 537 times)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Recommendations please
« on: August 10, 2021, 08:10:53 PM »
Hi all.

Hope you are all well.

Now cracking on with the engine break down and the cylinder head is off after lots of wd40 and a bit of patience to remove the two well rusted cylinder head nuts that sit where spark plug 2 and 3 are :)

Also I now have a firm plan of the changes I would like to do and want to do the following.

Take the engine up to 460cc with a big bore piston kit (Possibly Yoshi even though it is a tad expensive)
Fit a Yoshi stage 1 cam (again a tad expensive)
Have the head ports and flowed to suit Keihin CR 26 carbs and basically restored to as new to suit the stage 1 cam
Uprate / modify the oil pump to suit a GL1000 oil pump rotor
Do a complete rebuild of the bottom end seals bearings replace both primary and cam chains and replace any other stuff like the primary drive Cush rubbers, new clutch plates and springs etc etc
Dynatech ignition

Also planning to fit an oil cooler to ensure that the oil temperature is better controlled as all the above changes will increase the oil temp. And it looks cool too!!

Lastly (and as mentioned earlier) fit a set of Keihin CR 26 carbs. But with these I will also need to modify the bottom of the tank  for the required clearance.

Very happy to complete the engine build itself, but wondered who to trust / outsource the work to like the re-bore and head work?

Ideally would like to deal with one company rather than use one company do the re-bore, and another company to do the head work etc. 

Was looking at D & M Engineering and wondered if anybody here has used them? Or if there was any other trusted recommendations for other companies / people in the UK.

Many thanks to all in advance.

Very best wishes Al.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 10:35:50 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:40:48 AM »
Just speak to Julie and trigger, they've just done some superb work for me and who they dont know aren't worth knowing. Even if they cant do it they will be able to point you in the right direction
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 03:23:53 PM »
I would second that plus they do a sensibly priced collection & delivery service for those who are distant from them geographically..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:41:30 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 09:13:24 PM »
Thanks both

Sent a email message to Trigger

Many thanks again Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal