Author Topic: Front Fork Oil leaking from Spindle Clamp area - Can it be done in situ ?  (Read 456 times)

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

While doing work on the bike I have noticed fork oil continually leaking from the front fork spindle area on the O/S. If you look at the attached diagram there is a bolt and copper washer that screws up inside the damper to hold one of the internal components (267).

My question is I remove the wheel spindle clamp to access this (bolt 349) and (washer 390), can it be removed and replaced without stripping the whole fork system down. My concern is that if I unscrew it, something might move inside and then I won't be able to refit the bolt with a new washer to seal it. :-\

It may be that there is sufficient spring pressure (260 versus 262) internally to prevent any movement. Has anyone experienced this. ?

Thanks  :)

Dennis
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:06:17 PM by 400 Cafe Racer »
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Usually easy to do as you desribe on Honda (some of the other Japanese bikes require special tool to hold) just spin it out and don't let the leg drop down.

You may find it needs a impact electric "spanner" to undo it though,  not for torque requirements but because the damper rod wants to spin against the spring rather than release the threads. It's not difficult,  just that a bit of snappy speed does it easily as just levering conventionally can't quite get it to release initially.

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Hi K2-K6,

Thanks very much for your advice, I'll get the parts lined up ready to do a quick change and use an impact wrench as you suggest.

Does this crop up often ?

I think the PO fitted new fork seals so it might have been disturbed then.

Cheers

Dennis

- 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
"Does this crop up often ?"

Not a particular weakness but may not have annealed them them when last done by po, heat to dull red and quench in cold water for copper as you're probably familiar with.

Pinching them back tight again you may also have to tweak them with just a little speed to get them to bite, you'll feel if they just spin easily when you get near pinching them if they are going to tighten to compress the washer competently. 

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
"Does this crop up often ?"

Not a particular weakness but may not have annealed them them when last done by po, heat to dull red and quench in cold water for copper as you're probably familiar with.

Pinching them back tight again you may also have to tweak them with just a little speed to get them to bite, you'll feel if they just spin easily when you get near pinching them if they are going to tighten to compress the washer competently.

Thanks again for the tip and the benefit of your experience on these bikes.

Just put the engine back after the rebuild, so the forks will be next.

Plan to fit extra guages too, rather than just rely on the idiot lights.

Cheers

Dennis

- 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal