Author Topic: Oil pressure switch  (Read 937 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Oil pressure switch
« on: August 11, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »
Is the genuine Honda part any better than the after market version. Want to change mine as it sometimes flickers when hot.
Cheers

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Oil pressure switch
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 03:22:57 PM »
Definitely not. In my experience all OEM switches on CB350F and CB500/550 seem to give up sooner or later. Any switch that has the right thread (!), will do. And do not try to screw it in all the way!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 07:03:07 PM »
Oil pressure switches or sensor are NOT all the same even with the same thread  :o

Oil pressure switches are rated in BAR max pressure. You can get a switch that has a value of as low as 0.25 bar to upwards to many, many bar. Put the wrong rated switch in and though the light may have gone out, your engine may not be getting the correct pressure  ;)

Flickering of a oil light can mean :
Incorrect oil.
The oil had started to break down.
Knickered oil pump.
Oil galley cracked or cut through by chain
and so on.   

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 08:05:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Will order an aftermarket one and see how it goes. Noticed a bit of flickering after a fastish run, when the motor was hot. Oil (Silkolene 10/40) and filter (genuine) have only done 300 miles.
Easiest option is to change the switch and see if that sorts it.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 08:57:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Will order an aftermarket one and see how it goes. Noticed a bit of flickering after a fastish run, when the motor was hot. Oil (Silkolene 10/40) and filter (genuine) have only done 300 miles.
Easiest option is to change the switch and see if that sorts it.

If the oil you are using is silkolene 10/40 synthetic then, you are using the incorrect oil and it would be better to change it to mineral oil  ;)

If after changing to the correct oil it still flickering , the oil pump is not delivering the correct pressure .

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 09:53:51 AM »
You could put a pressure guage in there temporarily to see what's really happening as it would cover both system abilities and what the light is telling you.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 11:13:50 AM »
Pressure relief valve sealing properly  ?

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 01:08:23 PM »
Mistake on the oil, its Rock oil, 10/40 mineral for motorcycles. Level is fine. Only flickered once this year after a hard ride. First option is to swap the switch before doing anything more complicated. If this does not help, then I will look at the pump strainer, etc
Thanks all for the advice

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 12:47:10 PM »
I had a problem with the oil light flickering on my commuter CB550F1 many years ago.
I changed the pressure switch in the first instance & it cured the problem.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »
I also found a new switch cured the problem in the past. I also found lightly nipping up the contact for the wire to the switch which was loose caused the switch to leak oil on one occasion. Just be sure to buy s decent switch intended for that bike so its calibrated correctly.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 08:08:41 AM »
Thanks gentlemen. Finally got round to changing the switch and after 2 decent rides, one to the Ace Cafe in London and one to Supersausage in Pottersbury. Both in warm weather and no flickering to be seen.
Just thought I would post a result

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal