Author Topic: First Post! My Honda Cl100 Project transmission  (Read 642 times)

Offline MHirschfield21

• View Profile
First Post! My Honda Cl100 Project transmission
« on: August 12, 2021, 09:59:49 PM »
Hi All, I'm Matt from East Yorkshire.

I own a Honda Cl100k1 1971, share a Honda C70 with my dad and I have vespa t5 (but that's probably not valid point for discussion on this forum ;D)

I'm currently working on my Honda CL100K1 (1971) (which is why I've joined the forum). I'm hoping to get some advice on a problem I have with the transmission, mores specifically the shift plate and gear drum mechanism. I'm also not sure if it is bad etiquette to jump straight in with a problem to fix during my introduction, if so please accept my apologies...

I bought the CL back in 2017 as a quick project to sell on and after getting the old girl running and taking her on a short test flight, the head gasket blew and I ended up pushing her home, 6 miles, in December... To cut a long story a little shorter, for the last 4 years the bike has been moved around stored in various boxes, in my garage due to family and work etc, this year I decided that enough is enough and I needed to get her going again.

The Cl is now running reasonably well, apart from the odd little thing, indicators have stopped working and I have an oil leave from behind the points housing, anyway I managed to get 2.5 miles out of it before the transmission started playing up. The bike was selecting gears fine, going up and down on my bench and up and down the street before I set off on my little run around the block but I shifted up to 3rd and the couldn't shift in any direction? It felt like the shifter was not turning the star wheel on the shift drum.

I checked everything over when I got back and could find nothing wrong with the clutch so preceded to drain the oil and have a look inside the clutch housing. As expected the shift plate was no where near the star wheel and was snagging on the shift drum stopper?

Now when I put the selector back in during the rebuild, I noticed there was quite a lot of lateral play in the shift plate but the drum was selecting fine no binding up and no apparent issues.

Now on closer inspection it looks like the plate is slipping off the star wheel when shifting then disengaging from the star wheel completely?

I can't see any wear on the plate or the star wheel pins so I'm struggling to understand what is wrong, or what I have done wrong during reassembly.

I can add some photos of the actual bike if anyone thinks that would help jogging the odd memory or two if any one has had any previous experience of this? I've tried to attach some images to this post but in case it doesn't work The gear selector mechanism is shown on page 31 of the CB100/Cl100 shop manual.

I'd love to get my next test ride before the winter sets in and hopefully return without any more problems... so if anyone can suggest a possible solution please let me know:) .

Cheers

Matt

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: First Post! My Honda Cl100 Project transmission
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 10:06:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum Matt - I'm sure one of the ex Honda mechanics and current engineers will be along shortly to help. Hope you enjoy the forum
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal