Author Topic: New member  (Read 2626 times)

Offline superblod

• View Profile
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »
Hi, every one.

Summer is coming so I'm blowing the dust from my CB750F2. Had her a few years now but would really like to make it shine. She not looking at her best.

Fitted a new battery and after a good cranking she fired up. Still got a bit of a rattle :-( Then found she wouldn't move cos the rear brake is seized on. Its amazing how much brake fluid such a small system has when you are trying not to get it on the frame.

I expect to have her on the road over the summer and do the engine over the winter.

I'm based in County Durham :-)

The frame number is CB750G - xxxxxxx, all the CB750 site say the frame number are CB750E - xxxxxxx, cant find any reference to a "G". Any ideas?

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
Hi welcome from a new member all so, and a F2 owner as well. i all so am trying to get mine on the go again for this summer.
With the number of F2 owners on this site we could have a meet up ( if all running that is).
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:30:05 PM »
G was for General Export I think - anyone outside of the US or Japan!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »
Hi Superblod, welcome to the site there are quite a few of us F2 owners on hear, me being another one of them, i am building up 2 at the moment, one will be a standard rebuild/ restoration, the other a lovely red cafe racer with many period after market additions and a tuned engine, i am surprised there are so many F2's about 30 + years later considering how many people slate them off for having useless engines, i have nearly all the bits i need now to completely rebuild 2x F2 engines, but as insurance i have also aquired myself a F1 engine just incase .
I personally love the look of the F2, i just cant wait to be able to ride them.They are sneaking up in value and are bound to become quite collectable in years to come, even the spare parts are fetching quite a bit now.
Do you have any pictures of your bike?
Pete

Offline superblod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses, most welcoming.

The only real worry I have is the engine, it a bit rattly. It running now, I'm not convinced it would run again after I overhauled it.

I haven't any recent photos, but do intend to take some and will post them.

As I said shes a bit tired, but she can only get better.

I also intend to replace the ignition system it an electronic contact less set. Undecided wether to go for Dyna S or Newtronic? Any thoughts or experience with these on the F2.

I think I'll have to change the plug leads as well. I have only used her in the wet once, and she wouldn't run. Just got me far enough away from the house to be a right pain....

Thanks for your responses.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
CB750E is the engine number talking to Dave Silver the G mostly came to UK.

Only serious fault with F2 is exhaust valve guides and if its using oil or burning blue smoke the engine needs to come out and have the guides replaced

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:32:13 PM »
I bought new guides for my f2 from dynoman USA, the old ones just pressed out real easy after heating head in oven, hopefully the new ones will press in the same apparently the guides are pre honed and ready to fit.
Another problem with these engines is the valve tip becomes indented and mushroomed, the answer is new valves and new tappet screws or fit lash caps to the tips of the old valve,
The rattle could be the cam chain tensioner needs adjusting, have a read up and try that out
As for ignition the Boyer Bransden was recommened to me and it is also the cheapest out of the few available, i will probably fit that one to my bike.
My F2 is also a CB750G model
Pete

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site,

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
Welcome, I also have an F2 on a slow rebuild schedule.
My bike used to be my only form of transport and didn't like to run in the wet this drove me nuts, I changed the plugs, plug caps, used miles of insulating tape, even tried rubber garden hose fitted over the leads ! Then one rainy night I looked under the tank and saw a right lightening storm, the rain water was getting in where the leads join the coils,  once I'd sealed the leads to the coils I had no more bother.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
Ive had a number of problems with wet running recently - found the best diagnistic method is to spray wd40 onto a suspect area, then ride then dose next area, you soon know which bits to blame. Also a damn good way of getting a sick bike home., now I always carry some.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline superblod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
Once again thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try the cam chain tensioner first. I think thats the most likely area for the rattle. The engine doesn't emit a great deal of blue smoke so I don't think is worn valve guides, but time will tell once I've had a go at the cam chain tensioner.

I have got to do something about the wet running, its bad enough being out in the rain, but being broken down in the rain...

The WD40 idea sounds good.

thanks

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
The other rattle that it could be is the dreaded clutch rattle, all the 750's have this to a certain extent. Does the rattle go away when you pull in the clutch, if so it could be the clutch rattle, check the timing and balance the carbs if so.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
Welcome to the site...

I had a 550 Honda just before a 750F2, but the cam chain noise was often cured by doing the correct cam chain tensioning sequence. I have written about it somewhere on here (or on the USA site) but i'll run through it again.
Remove the points cover as well as the tappet covers for #1 cylinder.
Align the crank onto the T1&4 mark on the advance/retard unit.
Check to see if the tappet adjusters on #1 are loose, as if you going to adjust them.
If they are on the inlet/exhaust cycle instead of compression, realign the crank after turning it 360 degrees.
After replacing the tappet covers, turn the crank to 15 degrees after top dead centre for #1&4.
Although no marks exist, it's roughly the trailing edge of the advance/retard spring post.
Then loosen the locknout on the cam chain tensioner, back off the bolt & then retighten.
The spring on the tensioner should have taken up the slack. Lock up the adjuster bolt, then the lock nut.

Job done...

I once did this on a friends CB750K7. He pulled into the pub car park with the engine making a terrible noise. He said that the bike shop had quoted him
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal