Author Topic: Feeling really pleased with myself  (Read 1625 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Feeling really pleased with myself
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »
Today i thought i would spend a few hours in the garage on the F2 , so i went out and got my cylinder head out, this head has been getting me down as it had a seized bolt which the PO had just drilled through, and left the really rough corroded head fused to the aluminium.
The bolt i am talking about was one of the four bolts under the rubber pucks ( the ones people usually forget and hammer the shit out of their head breaking off fins before realising), anyway i had tried all sorts of things to get this out but it was corroded in there real bad and was in such an awkward place to access, i had an idea  to get an easy-out in the top of it and jam it in tight then turn the head around and tap it through from underneath, after many attempts i won the battle and got it out. A proper eureka moment!
Also there are a few stripped threads in the head one of them a cam tower fixing bolt thread, so i for the first time used my helicoil kit  drilled it out and inserted a new helicoil thread, i am so chuffed that i have got out there in amongst all mess and done something constructive,its back to full on enthusiasm for me , and to add to the excitement DS emailed me yesterday, and the box of new goodies i ordered quite a while back is on its way so i can crack on with the rebuild.
Pete
the remaing peice i managed to get out
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:13:46 PM by UK Pete »

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
Re: Feeling really pleased with myself
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:17:04 PM »
Nice one, glad you're back on it now. Bit of a mess that bit, ain't it?

Phil

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:19 AM »
urghhh is all i can add!!

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
That's great stuff, it usually ends in tears but nice to hear this one had a happy ending, must look at my spare F2 head and barrels as I bought them from a breakers and they were a bit rough dismantling so I have a few miss treated bolts and studs as well.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »
Pete's got a big smile on his face now - and he has caught the bug. I will let him expalin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
A bit difficult to recognise that lump of metal as having come from any bike Peter, let alone a 750 Honda.  But I agree that getting something done on a bike that's been a bit of a downer when you just want everything to be straight forward & simples is a real heart warmer. That feeling of hearing the engine run after a major rebuild is a bit difficult to explain to the non-bikers out there. The missus would quite often bring me a cuppa tea out in the shed, would see the bits of bike strewn about all over the place & then enjoy the sound of the engine running again....especially if it was her bike that i'd been working on.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal