Author Topic: Head is leaking oil again. Again.  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Brian.

• View Profile
Re: Head is leaking oil again. Again.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »
5 x 2.4 according to the Parts book in Aladdin's Cave on here.

I used a slightly bigger thickness Viton O rings on my CB550K2, with an aftermarket head gasket from David Silvers, and it never leaked again.

Hope this helps,
Brian.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »

I used a slightly bigger thickness Viton O rings on my CB550K2, with an aftermarket head gasket from David Silvers, and it never leaked again.

Hope this helps,
Brian.
How many km since?

Offline Brian.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 11:09:31 PM »

Hope this helps,
Brian.
How many km since?
After doing the work I did about 2400 miles up until I sold it, I think that'd equate to about 3700 km.

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 07:28:57 PM »
Julie’s set of 5 o rings sorted my oil pump. Bone dry now👍
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 05:24:54 AM »

Hope this helps,
Brian.

Hey Brian

So you used a slightly thicker version than the 5x2.4? Or did you use the actual 5x2.4 sizes?

Offline Brian.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2021, 07:23:51 AM »
No, as per advice from here it was definitely thicker than the 2.4 in the parts book.  After I bought my O-rings from Seal Supplies of Loughborough via Ebay (I bought various ones, not just those) I saw that Nurse Julie on here stocks and supplies O-rings, it's probably a good idea to see what she has to say on the subject.

I don't have the receipt for the O-rings I bought, but it would have been one size up I'd say.  And I bought some in Nitrile and some in Viton.

I hope this helps!
Brian.

Offline Brian.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 07:46:39 AM »
Further to the above, I've been through my Ebay purchase history at my O-ring purchases.  Based on the Honda standard thickness of 2.4 and what I bought around that time, they would either have been 2.5mm Viton (which I doubt because it's hardly any thicker at all) or 3.0mm Viton.  I'd say it's 99% definite that I used 3.0mm, which makes sense to me today as a proper thickness upgrade.  And mine definitely didn't leak again up to when I sold it.

But, you would be far better advised by Nurse Julie's experience than my recollections!

I hope this helps.
Brian.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 02:20:38 PM »
Further to the above, I've been through my Ebay purchase history at my O-ring purchases.  Based on the Honda standard thickness of 2.4 and what I bought around that time, they would either have been 2.5mm Viton (which I doubt because it's hardly any thicker at all) or 3.0mm Viton.  I'd say it's 99% definite that I used 3.0mm, which makes sense to me today as a proper thickness upgrade.  And mine definitely didn't leak again up to when I sold it.

But, you would be far better advised by Nurse Julie's experience than my recollections!

I hope this helps.
Brian.

Thank you Brian! I've written Julie on here in a PM, so hopefully I will hear from her soon :)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 10:01:32 AM »
Just a quick update question: Since I've just changed the entire gasket set for the top engine, can I take it apart and only substitute the O-rings, or do I have to substitute the whole thing when I take it apart??

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 11:54:26 AM »
Depends on if it was an originaly sticky gasket and does not rip when you take the head off also only if it hasnt been run

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 05:15:58 PM »
It definitely has run!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »
Then you definately need a new gasket