Author Topic: Rear Luggage Rack  (Read 508 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear Luggage Rack
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »
Good morning world, hope nobody is suffering from Bank Holiday Monday sunburn!  Have just been looking at pics of luggage racks from DSS. The one for the 350 is a chrome finish, and the 400 version is a bright paint finish.  My main query is are the dimensions for the fixing points identical? I have no knowledge on the 350 model at all. If they are the same, then it's just a case of me deciding which finish and price I prefer!  Thanks. Mike.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: Rear Luggage Rack
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:34:50 AM »
I gave up luggage racks when I gave up dispatch riding!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
I would think that if you take the bike to Draganfly Motorcycles at Bungay who make the Craven luggage range now, they will be able to measure and if necessary fabricate brackets to suit, as well as offer a choice of rack sizes and optional fittings for side panniers too.

I did this with my CB750 K2 in late 2019, and I know that they are trying to extend the range to cover more Japanese bikes. My bike features in their photos for the Honda range, if you want to see the end result.

In my case, the bike was ridden in, measured and ridden out. A couple of weeks later I went back for a trial fit prior to final finishing of components and the rack and fittings were then sent to me.

If you want to pursue this route, I could probably find the names of those staff that I dealt with, one of whom is ex-David Silver.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 01:29:46 PM »
Thanks for the info re. Craven equipment.  Yes I have looked at Draganfly's website, and I am just a 20 minute ride from them.  Like you, in my younger days I owned a 1972, and then a 1975 CB750 K2. Both of these bikes were ridden to the original Craven factory in North London, and had carriers fitted whilst I waited. Those were the days of using the bike for holidays etc., and carrying the kitchen sink!  All I'm after now is a smaller item just to strap odds and sods to, and give my poor old pillion seat a bit of a rest.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »
The Craven rack platform is quite small, however the racks are very solid. I managed to get through two of the Old Tower racks on the 750 and three on the 500. All fractured just behind the rear bracket fixing. All were fitted with a top box (usually empty when travelling and used to store clothing whilst at the destination) and quite old, so might have been brittle.

That's the reason for investing the time and effort with the Craven, almost two years of use and the mounting brackets haven't even needed to be retightened so far! (I still use a top box with it).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal