Author Topic: A tappet mystery  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
A tappet mystery
« on: September 02, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »
Cylinder numbers 1-4 are simply counted left to right? I'm sure they are but I can't find anything in the manual to confirm. I did my tappets today because of a clicking sound from the right side top end, didn't have any problems until I tried to get the feeler gauge under the number four (?) inlet valve, I just could get it to do that until I slackened things of like I thought the tappet might get unscrewed, but when I did and set it I thought problem over and closed up the patient. Start engine and clicking is much louder, I'll have to try again tomorrow. Mein gott vot haf I done? ::) Any ideas?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: A tappet mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 04:16:29 PM »
Sounds like you have tried to set the valve clearance while the cam was keeping the valve open, and how the clearance is way (WAY) too large.
You can only set valve clearance (tappet adjustment) when the cam is pointing away from the valve, you have to rotate the engine in order to get to that point for each valve.
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 04:20:04 PM »
Sounds like you have tried to set the valve clearance while the cam was keeping the valve open, and how the clearance is way (WAY) too large.
You can only set valve clearance (tappet adjustment) when the cam is pointing away from the valve, you have to rotate the engine in order to get to that point for each valve.
This is what I'm thinking but the instructions say different! (?)  I'll try again but not today.....
I brake for animals!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 05:09:56 PM »
Set crank th T 1-4 mark and one outside cylinder will have zero clearance and if you rock the crank back and forth over the marks the arms will move up and down you then set the OTHER  cylinder, rotate crank one turn and the cylinders will exchange.

Same for T 2-3

DO NOT turn crank with the big nut on points cam

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 07:29:16 PM »
I turn the motor over using the kickstarter, not by foot but arm power,

When the inlet is closing I check the exhaust,

When the exhaust is opening I do the inlet,
All on the same cylinder,

It may be time consuming, but seems to work for me

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
Is there an error in the Honda manual? I've attached an image of the page, it says and illustrates to turn the crankshaft clockwise, yet everywhere else on the internet seems to be saying counter-clockwise , which is it to be? It says the first adjustments should be cylinder one, both of them, but the inlet tappet is sitting far higher then the exhaust, I thought these things needed to be in their high position to be adjusted? I've got to relearn what I had no trouble with on past twins ...sorry if I'm starting to sound like a dork!  ;D
I brake for animals!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 03:36:36 PM »
Yes George, the manual is incorrect.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 04:19:53 PM »
I have always turned clockwise from points end which puts cam chain slack in the rear run where the adjuster is, doing it in workshop you tend to do all the settings at same time, easy when you are doing several a day.
Also i ignore that table, take cylinders 1 and 4 check which cylinder has the rockers both moving, exhaust closing inlet opening and you adjust the other one.
To try and explain it easy if 1 and 4 are both at tdc (T mark aligned) one cylinder is at tdc compression and is the one you adjust theother is at tdc exhaust where both valves are open

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 04:34:49 PM »
Any tappet to be adjusted will be sat in it's highest position be it inlet or exhaust, yes? Can I simply go to each in turn and adjust when they get there? If so a bit time consuming but easy to understand, that's my issue, being led one way then the next.
I brake for animals!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 05:12:54 PM »
Is there an error in the Honda manual? I've attached an image of the page, it says and illustrates to turn the crankshaft clockwise, yet everywhere else on the internet seems to be saying counter-clockwise , which is it to be? It says the first adjustments should be cylinder one, both of them, but the inlet tappet is sitting far higher then the exhaust, I thought these things needed to be in their high position to be adjusted? I've got to relearn what I had no trouble with on past twins ...sorry if I'm starting to sound like a dork!  ;D

I suspect that on the internet they are standing on the left of the bike where number 1 cylinder is and clockwise from the points end is counter clockwise looking at the alternator end if you get my meaning?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 05:44:46 PM »
Virtually all 4 cylinders are the same "T" for top on timing marks (TDC of 1&4) and both valves will be up on one of the end cylinders, with two of the four valves (one exhaust and one inlet) of the middle two cylinders (2&3) the same. Adjust these four.

Rotate 360 degrees and the opposite end cylinder will have valves both up, plus the two valves you didn't do on 2&3. Adjust these four.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 05:55:08 PM »
I suspect that on the internet they are standing on the left of the bike where number 1 cylinder is and clockwise from the points end is counter clockwise looking at the alternator end if you get my meaning?
I do, but no. I've asked on Quora. com and most agree it should be counter-clockwise. The video I watched was with the mechanic on the right (points end) but choosing to start with that side too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygfESBBUjAA&list=WL&index=22 
I brake for animals!

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 05:57:44 PM »
We all seem to have our own methods for this exercise.
    For me, it's bike on ramp, being nice to my backbone!
    Remove tank
    Remove tappet covers.
    Remove spark plugs.
    Engage 6th gear, and use the rear wheel to turn engine over.
    Line up "T" mark for Nos. 1 and 4.
    Check rocker arms for these cylinders, if you can wiggle both rocker arms, they are the ones to adust if necessary.
    If you cannot move them, then adjust the ones for the other cylinder.
    Repeat the process for cylinders 2 and 3.
    Having the bike in gear and at this height also makes it easier to check ignition timing.
    Have fun!

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 06:03:03 PM »
    Have fun!
You think I'M a gremlin too huh? :o
I brake for animals!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 06:56:11 PM »
You definately do not turn it counter clockwise at the points end as if the tensioner is too loose turning backwards has been know to jump the camchain a tooth and yes i have seen that done.
Forget the internet, whilst there can be mistakes in the HONDA manual they are rare and usually a bad translation.
Haynes, Clymer etc are very good for lighting the barbie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal