Author Topic: My bike  (Read 2371 times)

Offline PMK

• SOHC Member
  • Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles & Idiot for Hire
    • View Profile
    • Karpettiger Maine Coon Cats
My bike
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »
As promised here are some pictures of the bike.

I picked her up on Sunday and got her MOT'd and taxed her today.

She's either a really original bike or a crackingly detailled restoration. A lot of detail stuff is there like the chain for the petrol tank and stuff like that. She has 35,000 on the clock and rides real well.

What do you reckon

All she seems to be missing is the tank decal for each side.

I await comments and the anoraks to take it apart !   ;D
He who breaks something to see how it works has left the path of wisdom and become an engineer

Honda CB750F2 1978
Harley Sportster 883 1999
Matchless G80 1960

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: My bike
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
Hi That is a really good looking bike, well done on your purchase
I dont know who these anoraks are that your refer to are, most people on hear are just like you and me, only some know a little more than others, anyway enjoy your riding spring is almost hear and the salt is getting washed off the roads so we can all start ridding our classics soon.
Pete

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:10:39 PM »
No anoraks around here, looks like a nice bike to me, I polished up the engine cases on mine as well (and the cambox).

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »
My name's Steve and I'm an alcoh.....    on no, hang on, wrong forum.

I can anorak for England on 500s and 550s; all I would say is that if it's an F1, then it should not have a black engine. If it's an F2, it should have black wheels  (?)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »
Nice bike...

There's a battery retaining strap missing, the front mudguard is aftermarket & there should be two horns (one high tone, the other low) under the headlight, the mounting covered by a small plastic plate with 'Honda' on the front of the plate. Did you get the tool kit that normally sits alongside the battery in the tray? Did you get the owners manual...? If you did, don't follow the instructions for cam chain tensioning as it's very wrong. The correct procedure is in an aftermarket workshop manual.

I'm not a Macintosh, but I had my 750F2 for a long time so knew it inside out...& I have a good memory.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline PMK

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
Did you get the tool kit   :D Yeah Right !!!

Thanks for that.

I'll have a dig to see what I can do about the horns and the plate etc. I think I've got a battery strap lurking about somewhere.

Glad you all like it. When it warms up later today it's service time  ;D  Mmmmmmm tooolllsss
He who breaks something to see how it works has left the path of wisdom and become an engineer

Honda CB750F2 1978
Matchless G80 1960

Offline PMK

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
Well I got the tools out and went through the bike today.

The tappets needed a spot of adjustment and I tried the Honda way and got comnpletly confused and messed them up. So I did it the other (read as old fashioned) way and turned the engine over until the both were shut after the intake stroke, much better!

The carbs were all spot on and the air filter spanking new. I had to close the points a smidge. The plugs looked a little rusty but none of my plug sockets fitted so that's for another day.

Once warmed through the oil was dropped and the filter changed. I only had a little disaster when the funnel decided to disassemble itself when I was draining the tank.  >:(

Still once it was refilled (2.5 litres doesn't seem like a lot) and a quick roadtest revealed a little more willingness to the engine (which is nice)  ;D

So all that's left is to clean it now !!

Honda CB750F2 1978
Matchless G80 1960

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »
For some reason bike polishing is no longer my favourite hobby, I used to spend hours polishing but now I keep putting it off !

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »
Hi Paul
Nice bike looks clean and a good mileage.
For your info you all so have got a aftermarket exhaust and looks like Hagon road rear shocks not the standard FVQ's, i have a pair of the Hagons to go on my 1st F2 when its finished. A good mod you have is braided brake lines this makes a big difference's,my 1st F2 has these my 2 nd one has not and you can notice the difference big time. The engine side case should be black,  and there is some seat trim missing, it depends if you wish to go to full orig or run the bike as a good runner. It is a good solid bike that should be looked after and used. There is a lot of people on here that can help you out with your bike i think we all want to keep as many SOHC  Honda's on the road for as long as we can and will help as much as they can. Aim new to this forum like you and have found it helpfull and friendly, i all so have had F2's since 1979 so like Yoshie 823 do know a little about them and how to keep them on the road it was my only transport for years. Enjoy the bike and ride it nice buy.
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline PMK

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
I knew about the shocks and the exhaust (mainly because they have their name stamped or stickered on them)  ;D

I want to change the fliud in the brakes because I don't know how long it's been in there. Also the brakes feel a little wooden at the front. I used to have a T3 Guzzi and the Brembo's were much nicer.

I'll change to EBC HH pads (the green ones) when the fitted ones wear out. That'll go some way to improve things. The pivots are all free and greased with copaslip too so that's a not a worry. I may also lube the pushrod behind the lever as they can seize up. Also when I took the lever out to silicone the pivot bolt it looked there was battery acid spill (you know that yellow crusty nastiness) in the area.

I know 70's Jap bike brakes were rubbish but I think I've forgotten just how bad they are.

Good job I don't ride as fast as I used to!!  ;D

Honda CB750F2 1978
Matchless G80 1960

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal