Author Topic: Security  (Read 4574 times)

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Security
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a disk lock that will fit a 550, or any other easy to carry on the bike security device?
On my other bikes I use a Xena disk lock alarm but it doesn't even come close to fitting. I've got the garage sorted with ground anchors, alarms, extra door bolts etc, this is just for parking at work.

I'm in the process of cleaning out the powdercoat from the steering lock but since the seat lock has been forced I'm not confident that the key I have will fit. I also have a tilt switch to make a DIY alarm, and yes I'm a bit paranoid.

Cheers

Allan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Security
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »
I havent seen one that would fit unless the disc is "drilled" so i resorted to the humongous covered chain with big heavy padlock method after mine was knicked with the factory steering lock on

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
I put an ordinary padlock through the large holes in the front disk.  I haven't bothered but one could spray it a bright colour to make it more visible.  I did try to ride away with it attached a couple of times, one time nearly falling off.  When riding, I attach it to the grab rail.

I used to have a large chain but I grew bored of carrying it because it was annoying and heavy.

I don't believe there is anything that will stop a determined thief but something that will put off the opportunist is always good.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:31:24 PM by florence »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
I use a cheap alarm from ebay, has remote alarming, remote starting / engine cut out and it's own inbuilt trigger wire (protect accesories) and tilt switch. I fitted it after a few drunks tried starting my bike outside work on the nightshift. It did the trick and there has been no futher tampering of any of my bikes. With the remote starting it's a prime thing for scaring the living **** out of tampering idiots. The drunk who liked trying to start my 500/4 outfit outside work ran like his very life was at stake when as he walked up at 2 am and the bike started up in front of him, then switched off again. Also worked for a couple of curious kids who were hanging around and as a joke making a colleuge jump.
Ok so a determined crinimal could probably disarm it in seconds being a cheap alarm but it keeps the oppertunists and fools off. A pro thief will doubtless bypass most security.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
I've seen brightly coloured alarmed padlock's so I could try to use one of them through the large disk holes.
 You've just reminded me that I also need to source a grab rail.
I plan to make my own alarm using a tilt switch but I may be tempted by a cheap one.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
I went down the large cloth covered chain route, it lives in the box under the seat hump (CB750F1) but if someone really wants the bike they will just bung it in the back of a van. Plus how many people actually take any notice of an alarm going off these days, not many !

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
I'm just aiming to put off the opportunist really, I doubt anyone would make a serious attempt to nick any of my bikes as they're all worth less than a grand.

I've got a cheap alarm, alarmed padlock and short chain on order now. It's all a bit wasted at the min though as I can't get it running right to take it anywhere.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »
When I was leaving my 550 in a bike bay in a back street in West London while I was in work I was paranoid about someone nicking the bike. I reckon that the best thing that I did was to cover the bike with a proper waterproof cover as well as securing it with a big 'U' lock through the back wheel & swing arm, & ordinary padlocks through the front discs. I also put one of those shackle locks around the throttle & front brake lever.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
The alarmed padlock I bough doesn't fit through the disk so it's being used with a short chain. Hopefully this will be adequate for this area as it's parked outside, but it is next to a much more valuable bike.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »
I wouldn't recommend the cheap alarmed padlocks on ebay, the ones where the the lock barrel sticks out to one side that are sold under several brands. Mine has now started clicking loudly when disarmed and it's sensitivity is all over the place when armed, sometimes breathing on it would set it off other times shaking it wouldn't.
The Krall disk lock I've bought to replace it doesn't fit through the disk either.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »
I just use an ordinary padlock through the disk, it isn't even designed for bikes but it works.

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
... but it is next to a much more valuable bike.

That's the answer!  ;D

Phil (apologies for the lack of constructive input there...)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:54:33 AM »
I'd put a chain through front wheel to frame and same for rear as it just makes it much harder to lift one end and wheel it out of sight to work on/put in a van. They are not worth much to sell on I guess but broken up could provide enough cash to incentivise someone to have a go.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
I think I'll try to find an ordinary padlock that fits through the disk, but I might have to find somewhere where I can try before I buy as none of the 5 I have will fit and I'm not looking to start a collection.

It's really just to have something easy to carry that will stop an opportunist wheeling it away from outside the office as I don't have the steering lock key and it's been powdercoated over. I'll take the chains that I use in the garage if I take it anywhere less secure.

rigwit

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 04:16:30 PM »
get a big dog ............... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal