Author Topic: Fuse Box replacement options by DS & electrics  (Read 679 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Fuse Box replacement options by DS & electrics
« on: October 05, 2021, 10:39:55 AM »
Hurt my back yesterday just doing a simple bit of wiring to the garage electrics - hobbled around the rest of the afternoon & evening looking like a famous Notre-Dame Campanolgist. So today I am under orders to keep out of the garage until I can straighten up my posture.

So I've been looking at my old fuse box & the DS replacent options of £55 genuine or £29.95 aftermarket - has anyone here experience of the cheaper option?

The main earth lead on my bike was fastened in the wrong place and might not be the correct one - that got me thinking about how well the engine/frame earths will be after the frame powder coating. Do folk here use star washers to assist in making a good frame contact?

My earth cable is 12" long am I right in thinking the correct route should be from the battery down the frame and onto the rear upper triangular engine mounting?

.earth cable by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Fuse Box replacement options by DS & electrics
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 02:08:54 PM »
Hi Ted, having worked in that space  restricted area before, I think I would be tempted to bite the bullet and get the OE version, at least you know it's going to fit just right. Before you re-connect the multi plug behind it, take a little time with some small jewellers files and clean the terminals inside both parts of the connector. This was the cause of many blown main fuses for me a couple of years ago due to the pretty shade of green they achieve over the years! I wound insulating tape round it afterwards to try and keep out the worst of the elements. DON'T connect the earth lead before you have done this!!  Your earth lead looks about right, and yes, connect it to the engine mount. Knowing what a problem bad earthing can be, I think it's worth sacrificing a little bit of paint to achieve this.
   Just as an aside, I am in the process of tidying up and checking all the parts of a 1966 CL160 USA model at present. I hate to say this, but the build quality and strength of that era far outweighs even our 1970's possessions. The only piece of plastic I have found so far is the rear light lens. Plus of course, it ain't so bleedin' heavy. Stay Safe. Mike.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »
After my frame was powder coated I removed the paint on the earth points to ensure good conductivity.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 03:59:45 PM »
I like the idea of blade fuses Oddjob - the link is not active - looks like I need to send an e-mail to get the right one - definitely worth exploring. Cheers Ted

Offline oapcb400

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 06:46:38 PM »
i got the blade fuse box from hondaman a couple of years back, it was then cheaper than one from mr. silver!   mark paris   aka  hondaman was great to deal with.   checked my email from him,  sohc4shop@gmail.com     hope this might help

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 11:19:00 PM »
Try this Ted, it's in the top sellers on the right hand side. I'll be buying one soon as well as the electronic ignition mod.

No "this" found but I have registered and found the top seller listing the ATC/ATO Blade-fuse holder now I need to decide if I need a blade or a receptacle in the white male plug. My old fuse box is a recepticle - just need to check my new loom to be sure it's the same!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal