Author Topic: Newbie Here  (Read 1901 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Here
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »
I have always liked the look of the CB-X the engine must be sooooo smooth like all sixes.

Yours looks well neat - a crowd pleaser when parked up!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »
I know a bit of patina is regarded as preferable to stock shine these days, but that is crazy!

Cheers,
Jerry

Welcome from me too Jerry, nice collection bikes. Good luck finding a complete 750/4 to restore. As James says, a K2 onwards would be easier to find bits for if needed and they will be, however complete it may be advertised as.

Like others have said  you'll find a lot of knowledgeable enthusiasts on here who are only too happy to pass on tips and advice based on years of experience. I know members have helped me at lot since I bought my unrestored 1970 K1 in late 2018.

Personally, I prefer my classic cars and and bikes to reflect their age and show signs of use, although I do like clean and tidy paintwork ::) Incidentally, what classic car are you selling - I've recently sold my 1958 Triumph TR3A (owned for 22 years), luckily it went to my cousin so it stays in the family. :) My 1972 TR6 on the other hand is going nowhere and will be passed onto my two sons when I fall off the perch, hopefully for some time to come yet!

Cheers, Andrew
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your search for a 750 to restore. From the pictures of your 500/CBx it certainly seems like you know what you’re doing.

My best advice (having restored a couple of 750’s to concours condition) is find the most complete bike you can and find one where replica 4-4 exhausts are available.

I believe DSS still has the replica HM341’s in stock (for K2-6 bikes. Genuine NOS Honda are £2000+ for a set now, if you can find them. The HM300 replicas (Yamiya) for Sandcast, k0-K1 are now £1850/set (NOS Honda £3000) and are out of stock and sporadically available.

My advice would be start looking for. k2 onwards bike to restore.

James,

Thank you for your welcome and suggestions.

There seems to be quite a few K4 to K6s on the market, so I'm keeping my eyes open.  I have seen several really nice bikes, but until I have sold my classic car, I will have try and control the big temptation to go get one right now!!!..

I'm looking for a presentable bike but with maybe a four into one set of pipes and then buy a repro set from DSS to make it look right.  It may be a slightly cheaper way to achieve a really nice stock looking bike.

I'm not a concourse man, but I like my bikes to look stock,   I like to ride them now and then without too much worry.

What is the difference between the 300 and 341 pipes?  I think it maybe the internals, or is there something I've missed?

Cheers,
Jerry
CB750 K1 1971 Wisconsin, USA
Suzuki GT550 J 1972 Michigan USA
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CBX1000 A 1980 (European Direct Sales)
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »
I have always liked the look of the CB-X the engine must be sooooo smooth like all sixes.

Yours looks well neat - a crowd pleaser when parked up!

Hello Ted,

Yes, always a few people having a look.

She's raises an eyebrow from time to time because being an 'A' model (1980), Honda UK never imported them as they had too many un-sold 'Z' models.

The marketing brochures for the 'A' model presents a black bike, which makes mine stand out from the Candy Glory Red and Perseus Silver ones.  Plus they made only 3400 world wide, which makes them pretty rare any way. This one has frame numbers that would indicate it came from Canada.  It had a Km speedo too.  There were some country specific 'Z' models which had black paintwork.  I think Germany and Italy...maybe others, but not the UK.

Cheers,

Jerry

CB360 G5 1975 UK
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
I know a bit of patina is regarded as preferable to stock shine these days, but that is crazy!

Cheers,
Jerry

Welcome from me too Jerry, nice collection bikes. Good luck finding a complete 750/4 to restore. As James says, a K2 onwards would be easier to find bits for if needed and they will be, however complete it may be advertised as.

Like others have said  you'll find a lot of knowledgeable enthusiasts on here who are only too happy to pass on tips and advice based on years of experience. I know members have helped me at lot since I bought my unrestored 1970 K1 in late 2018.

Personally, I prefer my classic cars and and bikes to reflect their age and show signs of use, although I do like clean and tidy paintwork ::) Incidentally, what classic car are you selling - I've recently sold my 1958 Triumph TR3A (owned for 22 years), luckily it went to my cousin so it stays in the family. :) My 1972 TR6 on the other hand is going nowhere and will be passed onto my two sons when I fall off the perch, hopefully for some time to come yet!

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew,

Apologies.  I missed your question regarding the car I am selling.

It is a 1965 TR4A without the IRS.  It was an early US export car.  The US market was and still is a lover of 'live/rigid' rear axles.  The Mustang only went IRS in 2020! So Triumph modified the new IRS chassis so they could put cart springs and a live axle back in!

This car was repatriated about '91 and was restored and converted to RHD.  As it was exported to California originally and ended its US life in Pasadena, it knew nothing about rain and is completely rust free.

It should be up for auction on "The Market" shortly.

Cheers,

Jerry

CB360 G5 1975 UK
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »
Andrew,

Apologies.  I missed your question regarding the car I am selling.

It is a 1965 TR4A without the IRS.  It was an early US export car.  The US market was and still is a lover of 'live/rigid' rear axles.  The Mustang only went IRS in 2020! So Triumph modified the new IRS chassis so they could put cart springs and a live axle back in!

This car was repatriated about '91 and was restored and converted to RHD.  As it was exported to California originally and ended its US life in Pasadena, it knew nothing about rain and is completely rust free.

It should be up for auction on "The Market" shortly.

Cheers,

Jerry

Ahhh Jerry, you're clearly a man with excellent taste is classics cars!  8)  I've been a TR owner since 1983, an ownership which has included two TR4As, a TR3A and four TR6's, all UK cars.

Good luck with the sale of the 4A and finding a nice 750/4.

Cheers,
Andrew

1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 07:33:50 PM »
When I was 17 I bought a TR2 from the then Lord Scarsdale of Kedleston Hall via my late father who was in the car trade - it was a black one with rotten sills etc. I hated the dam thing as the ride was so firm - it was if I have remembered correctly one turn of the wheel from lock to lock - I lived in the countryside with my parents at the time so it was typical B road drive into town - a nightmare to keep in a straight line.

When it rained water got past the window seals so I got a wet bum. After a couple of weeks I had the bodywork fixed and sold it & bought an FB Victor. I think I sold it for around £450. Hate to think what it would have been worth today. For some reason although I like the styling of the TR6 my favourite is the TR5 PI - closely followed by the Triumph Vitesse convertable or GT6.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie He
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »
When I was 17 I bought a TR2 from the then Lord Scarsdale of Kedleston Hall via my late father who was in the car trade - it was a black one with rotten sills etc. I hated the dam thing as the ride was so firm - it was if I have remembered correctly one turn of the wheel from lock to lock - I lived in the countryside with my parents at the time so it was typical B road drive into town - a nightmare to keep in a straight line.

When it rained water got past the window seals so I got a wet bum. After a couple of weeks I had the bodywork fixed and sold it & bought an FB Victor. I think I sold it for around £450. Hate to think what it would have been worth today. For some reason although I like the styling of the TR6 my favourite is the TR5 PI - closely followed by the Triumph Vitesse convertable or GT6.

Ted,

TRs aren’t the most waterproof vehicles are they  ;D

My wife considers the 4a a bone shaker!  >:(  She would rather get in the Audi A5 Cabriolet.. OK…

A TR6 would probably have been a better ride than a rigid axle TR4A.  Lesson learned!

Cheers,
Jerry
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie He
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2021, 10:31:02 AM »

Ted,

TRs aren’t the most waterproof vehicles are they  ;D

My wife considers the 4a a bone shaker!  >:(  She would rather get in the Audi A5 Cabriolet.. OK…

A TR6 would probably have been a better ride than a rigid axle TR4A.  Lesson learned!

Cheers,
Jerry

Undoubtedly Jerry!  ;D ;D

Lake Como, June 2019

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:02:09 AM by Andrew-S »
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
OOOOhhh! TRs….
Glad to see so much enthusiasm for TR Sports Cars here. At the risk of losing the thread on CBs…
In 1990, I bought a US import TR3A; advertised as a California car but after I got it home turned out it came from Ohio where it rains more than Manchester. Restored it (not very well), changed it to RHD and myself, my new wife and the Cocker Spaniel used it for a good while travelling around the UK and France. Good fun apart from the vague steering, rubbish brakes and side-screen windows that fell out on the motorway; usually when it was raining.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
As the wife didn’t like bikes (still doesn’t) my restored CB750 K2, two C72s, CD175 sloper, C102 (Honda 50 with an electric start) had to go, so were all sold to make way in my single garage for the TR. I kept the XL250K0 though which I still have.
Next thing, life moves on; 2 daughters turn up and with no safe room in the back of the TR, it had to go and was replaced with a Morgan 4 seater. Worst car (apart from the Matra Rancho) I ever owned. A chassis like a garden gate made from angle iron, rock solid pillar suspension at the front (design unchanged from when it was invented in 1910). But with a Capri 1600GT engine in the front it went like the clappers but in a terrifying unusable way. Hated it – I didn’t get the Morgan ‘thing’ and still don’t.
Got rid of that and the only 4 seater open classic I fancied was the Merc SL. A HUGE money pit but nice to drive. But the girls, who are now 20 & 22, don’t like it as they have long hair which gets tangled by being blown about by the back draught. They moan like crazy so it doesn’t really get used.
I give up !! So that’s up for sale next year and maybe I’ll go back to a 2 seater; but whatever happens I’ll always keep the CB750 and XL250.
Phil in Cheltenham.
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your search for a 750 to restore. From the pictures of your 500/CBx it certainly seems like you know what you’re doing.

My best advice (having restored a couple of 750’s to concours condition) is find the most complete bike you can and find one where replica 4-4 exhausts are available.

I believe DSS still has the replica HM341’s in stock (for K2-6 bikes. Genuine NOS Honda are £2000+ for a set now, if you can find them. The HM300 replicas (Yamiya) for Sandcast, k0-K1 are now £1850/set (NOS Honda £3000) and are out of stock and sporadically available.

My advice would be start looking for. k2 onwards bike to restore.

James,
I agree.  There seem to more K4 and K6s for sale.  I haven't seen many K2s.

Cheers,
Jerry
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal