Author Topic: David Silver Reg/Recitfier  (Read 505 times)

Offline Raygun

• View Profile
David Silver Reg/Recitfier
« on: October 10, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
Hey all,

Was hoping you may be able to shed some insight- I'm driving myself insane with the multimeter and feel I am so very close to getting the bike on the road!

I have the DS replacement reg/rec, with 3x Yellow Wires, 1x Red, 1x Green, 1x Black (with two terminals at the end).

Now obviously this is meant to be plug and play in the new loom, but I've replaced my loom with a m.gadget one, and hence it I need to understand the wiring for this, and given the factory wiring diagrams don't show a combined reg/rec, I am stuck.

Coming off my bike I have the 3 yellow wires, 1x orange and 1x white. I presume these are the 3 phases, a field coil and I'm not sure of the function of the other.

Does anyone know how the DS reg rec needs to be wired in? What the functions of the red, green and black wires are and what they should connect to?

Once I've done that, it's patching the fuel tank and a rear light and I'm good to go.

R

Offline Raygun

• View Profile
Re: David Silver Reg/Recitfier
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 04:07:04 PM »
For posterity- I worked out the confusion and thought I would share the outcome below for anyone searching.

Three Yellows connect to Three Yellows on the Reg Rec
Red from the Reg/Rec connects directly to the battery/starter solenoid terminal if using one with integrated main fuse
Green from Reg/Rec goes to ground
Black from Reg/Rec connects BOTH to switched positive and field coil (white)
Green from Field Coil connects to ground.

What caught me out was that the black on these units is doing the job of both what would normally be the black and the white, and it is switched internally.

Resistance across the field coil was 5ohms aprox

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: David Silver Reg/Recitfier
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »
For posterity- I worked out the confusion and thought I would share the outcome below for anyone searching.

Three Yellows connect to Three Yellows on the Reg Rec
Red from the Reg/Rec connects directly to the battery/starter solenoid terminal if using one with integrated main fuse
Green from Reg/Rec goes to ground
Black from Reg/Rec connects BOTH to switched positive and field coil (white)
Green from Field Coil connects to ground.

What caught me out was that the black on these units is doing the job of both what would normally be the black and the white, and it is switched internally.

Resistance across the field coil was 5ohms aprox

You did well to sort that out - hope it runs when you press the starter button.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal