Author Topic: Spares prices????  (Read 645 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Spares prices????
« on: October 20, 2021, 04:49:50 PM »
As I am looking for a few bits and pieces, I have been keeping an eye, specifically, on 750 F2 parts prices.

Have to say...some of it is absolutely shocking.

Under the seat is a plastic toolbox compartment....DK Spares were selling the bottom half ( minus top) for £49 ...and £25 for the top! A set of exhaust headers, with a socking great hole in one part of the collector with a crack on top....£45  The thing is basically scrap, with heavy rust all over.....£45. £250 for one with a massive patch over the silencer where it's blown out ( where they all go....I have one that did the same.... ) a big dent and other holes. Plus no mounting bracket. They wer eselling a sealed beam headlamp assembly for £60 as non working...the main beam filament has blown. £40 for one footrest.

Now I don;t know if these prices are ever actually obtained, but if they are....my discarded parts pile is worth around £500 in DK prices.  Rear grab rail, seat cowl, footrests, pillion pegs, footrest hangars, toolbox, rear light, rear light bracket, inner mudguard ( plastic), seat trim ....and some very rusty indicators.

This might be genuinely what these things are worth now, but it just seems to be getting a bit 'tasty' in terms of what people think rusty old motorcycle parts are worth. Especially parts that really don't look to me like they are ever going to be useable. Sure, a slightly scabby exhaust can be rechromed....but a pipe that has blown apart and rotted....you can't weld it. You can't rechrome it...its had it
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

oldchuffer

Re: Spares prices????
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 07:50:32 PM »
Yes i agree. Seems extra rife in the UK. I've been looking for parts for my CB400F and i've ended up buying quite a few bits from the USA FOR MUCH LESS than the same item in the UK, and that includes the freight & duty!

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:25:06 AM »
yes it does make you wonder if anyone actually buys these things, i check ebay several times a day and sometimes a bargain comes up but a lot of sellers are unrealistic.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:23:28 AM »
if these things were good, solid, usable parts, I would expect them to have value.
Rare NOS parts...sure, they should command a premium. Anyone looking at a concourse restoration will pay the price for spotless genuine items.

My search was really for an alternative layout exhaust for my project. I have a rotten silencer, but repaired and probably usable headers that need a re-chrome... but I wanted a 4-2 or sort of 4-4 setup, even though mine originally had 4-1

I looked at various pipe layouts, and the 750KZ headers have exactly the layout I want. So I figured I would look and see what was out there, and maybe pick up a tatty but usable set. Allowing for the likelihood of modification, etc. But the utter rubbish on sale at inflated prices got my blood up. I can buy a complete stainless system for £400 ...... or I could buy rusted, cracked and dented junk for about the same money. Probably have to spend the same again trying to find some genius with a welding torch who could make it whole, not holey.

Just for a test, I have put a few of the 'choice' examples into my watch list .....and so far...they are all still there.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Online Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:16:55 AM »
I agree that these prices are getting ridiculous, but can’t see them ever improving as the demand continues and the supply gets less. I could have bought two really nice semi modern motorcycles for the money I have spent on my current project and it’s still a pile of bits, but that does not interest me in the least. I love the feeling of saving another from the knackers yard and to own an icon that you could only drool over when they were current.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 11:33:28 AM »
I couldn't agree more. Loads of junk on Flea-bay that should have gone into the melting pot. Just found a CB750 petrol tank for £135, hmm, not bad until you consider the numerous dings and dents, some small, some medium and at least one large and there is also some ferrous oxide thrown in for free.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Spares prices????
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 01:30:44 PM »
Yes spare parts are starting to gradually increase in price for the Hondas especially for NOS and spotless used spares

But we are lucky at the mo unless you are into restoring a 2t Yamaha’s

Prices out of this world for parts for the RD350LC and the YPVS and glad I did mine a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »
Its the same with spares for Suzuki GT750 Kettles  ::) , cheers Mick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal