Author Topic: Tank derust advice please.  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tank derust advice please.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 08:24:20 AM »
This product. Others are available…..

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 08:50:03 AM »
Friend of mine did his tank by electrolysis. Worked really well using washing soda and a battery charger

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
I would be really careful with acetone if the tank isn't to be repainted.
I have used De-OxC successfully in the past but it really depend on whether there is varnish in the tank from old fuel.  I have removed this with hot strong caustic soda solution but of course solvent if you don't care about the paint being damaged.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 11:56:06 AM »
Thanks Ash. Care noted. I had no choice as the tank was filthy and much debris had been passed to the carbs :'(

The acetone process is over and I’ve moved on to the DEOX-C stage. What came out during the acetone stage was woeful.

I’m being as careful as I can be. Precautions include a liberal coating of grease, followed by liberal spraying of WD40 before wrapping in several layers of cling film with liberal and regular WD40 overspray. I put some on the tank too :D ;D ;D. I also placed two condoms  over the filler neck and bound the neck with string soaked in WD 40 then clipped the ends off to provide a make shift anti spill filler and drain. Seems to have been effective so far.

Like I said,I have no choice.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 12:03:01 PM »
I wonder what deionised water is. Demineralized?

Deionised or demineralised water is essentially the same thing. It starts with what is generally tap water that has been filtered through an electrically charged  ion exchange resin to remove the bulk of the various soluble impurities. As it sounds the resin exchanges contaminant ions for less harmful ones it's usually pH neutral (pH7). The resin works a bit like a molecular seive blocking the larger molecules from passing through replacing them with smaller like charged ones. Like most things it is graded for pharmacutical use they use high grade stuff to reduce impurities to as close to zero as possible - what you buy for domestic use is still pretty good.

There is also RO (reverse osmosis) water it's essentially a less pure form of demineralised water, lastly there is distilled water - a final condensate when you distill water in a distillation column - this is essentially like steam condensate. Its a complex process as the final product will try to pick up contaminants from the equipment used, the storage vessels and from the atmosphere. 

One way of looking at is that deionosed or demineralised water is a highly polished version of RO water to confuse the situation more some commercial grades of demineralised water might actually be less pure than high grade RO water. It mostly depends on the end application as to the right one to use.

When I worked in an analytical laboratory in 2008 we used what was labelled as distilled water - it was in fact high grade demineralised water.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 12:06:25 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Ted, you know your H2O  :o

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 12:30:34 PM »
... there is distilled water...
... deionosed or demineralised water ...
What's the (electro)chemical impact of using distilled water for rising/cleanup?
Distilled is avail at every grocery store, demineralised only to be found through laboratory suppliers...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 12:36:52 PM »
From what I gathered, and I might have the wrong end of the stick but its used as its completely inert from any other elemental compounds so theres nothing to react to any stage of the process in any way and or to dilute mixes of chemicals that are being applied. The less ingredients in the process, the better the outcome and the easier the process is. In everything really.

Thats my take it but I could be wrong and theres a mammoth chemical based explanation available, but that what twigged with me
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 03:45:23 PM »
... there is distilled water...
... deionosed or demineralised water ...
What's the (electro)chemical impact of using distilled water for rising/cleanup?
Distilled is avail at every grocery store, demineralised only to be found through laboratory suppliers...

Distilled water is ideal as it leaves no residue when it dries depending on quantity it can be expensive here in the UK.

Are you a Brit living in Austria ST1100 I come from Klagenfurt but live in the UK?

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 03:59:08 PM »
Thanks Ash. Care noted. I had no choice as the tank was filthy and much debris had been passed to the carbs :'(

far.

Like I said,I have no choice.

That doesn't sound good Phil   :-[ :-[... I  though he would have cleaned out the tank before sending it to  paint or a painter would have advised cleaning  or cleaned it himself. That's where Menno Dek is great .. he sent my green CB500K0 tank out to someone he uses  for chemical cleaning prior to painting and it looks like a new tank inside.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »
Are yo ;Du a Brit living in Austria ST1100 I come from Klagenfurt but live in the UK?
Native AuSTrian... a bit too cosmopolitan though, and there aren't many designated forums locally...  ;D

I had experiences of distilled water drawing plasticizers out of materials, making them brittle, hence wasn't sure about any possible "corrosive" abilities towards metal... (I pour it into my ultrasonic cleaner though...)
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 05:22:57 PM »
Yes, not too impressive. Makes me wonder what else may be lurking >:(

On a more positive note, the cleaning process is nearly complete and the results look very promising indeed.

Just need some replacement coils/leads as the ones installed are like bow strings and are pulling off the plug caps.

Engine strip next year me thinks.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »
Are yo ;Du a Brit living in Austria ST1100 I come from Klagenfurt but live in the UK?
Native AuSTrian... a bit too cosmopolitan though, and there aren't many designated forums locally...  ;D

I had experiences of distilled water drawing plasticizers out of materials, making them brittle, hence wasn't sure about any possible "corrosive" abilities towards metal... (I pour it into my ultrasonic cleaner though...)
Your English is extremely good no trace of an accent. I have lived in the UK since I was 5 years of age - my German is virtually none existent today - my late mother who came to England when she was 25 lost her vocabulary over the decades - she could understand her sister when they telephoned at Chistmas but lost the ability to reply except in English.  I have a cousin Heidi who Ihave visited a couple of times she still lives in Klagenfurt with her husband Gottfried. You live in a beautiful country with some great roads to ride.

Sorry for hijacking the original subject.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 01:13:55 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline Popstar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 07:34:12 PM »
I did mine last week using a mixture of apple cider vinegar and white vinegar I only mixed the two types because I’d run low on one of them ,they both had a acid rating of 5% , I emptied(after 4 days) the tank and swilled it out with broken car glass and distilled water, put the hairdryer in the neck of the tank, when dried coated in a thick 2 stroke oil lightly thinned out with petrol. Great final result.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2021, 07:57:32 PM »
Interesting approach. I’ll report on my attempt on Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal