Author Topic: Sold my K1  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Sold my K1
« on: November 04, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »
After months and months of deliberating I finally decided to sell my K1 which has gone to the very good home of a nice enthusiastic forum member who I know will do a great job of finishing the old girl off and put her back on the road where she belongs rather than sitting a garage unused since 2015. I’m sure he’ll make himself known in due course.

I would like to thank forum members for their sage advice and support since I joined in Jan 2016, particularly over these last couple of years which many of you know has been a very tough time for me and my family; those that have been extremely supportive know who they are so I won’t embarrass them by naming names, and just I case I inadvertently leave someone out!

However, you don’t get rid of me that easily as I still have my 72 XL250 K0 Motosport (and my 76 Z900 of course), so I will still be popping in from time to time and contribute where I feel I can.

Cheers, Andrew

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Sold my K1
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 11:20:04 AM »
Wow Andrew what I can see you have done looks really good - love the rear end view of the exhuasts - so what's the next project to occupy your mind or have you plenty of other interests to keep you going?

All the best for the future cheers Ted

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
Thats a forward move if ever there was one.  :o

I hate selling bikes as I'm sure we all do but realistically, there will be other lumps of dull metal, wrapped in assorted bits of plastic and rubber that will tap on your door in the coming years that will scream for love and attention, whether they'll be on 2 of 4 wheels.
Every move is a good move. I'm super chuffed its gone to a great new owner and its good you can see the progress through here or the like. You've obviously thought about this hard decision but if it pushes you forward , enables you to breath and  progress then its a good move and this can be a chapter that shines in your life. I admire your decision, It cant have been easy...Well done Andrew, seriously, well done.

Shall I have auto-trader sent straight to your door or do you want it electronically ;) 8)

With very bestest Regards
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 07:51:24 PM »
Wow Andrew what I can see you have done looks really good - love the rear end view of the exhuasts - so what's the next project to occupy your mind or have you plenty of other interests to keep you going?

All the best for the future cheers Ted

Thanks Ted,
The plan is to focus on my unrestored 72 UK XL250 over the winter months (although not a great deal to do other some light cleaning and preservation work) and stay on the lookout for maybe a restored gold UK K1 like my one in 1976 (if can find one??), or possibly a restored K0? I'm in no rush.

Other than working on my bikes and TR6, looking after the house and garden I do volunteer work in Farnham Park on Wednesdays and some Fridays. Yesterday, (my 64th birthday (for the tenth time!!)) I was out cutting back oak trees, hedges and clearing brambles etc (got cut to shreds! ::)) which kept me occupied. I will get used to being retired one day I'm sure.

Thats a forward move if ever there was one.  :o

I hate selling bikes as I'm sure we all do but realistically, there will be other lumps of dull metal, wrapped in assorted bits of plastic and rubber that will tap on your door in the coming years that will scream for love and attention, whether they'll be on 2 of 4 wheels.
Every move is a good move. I'm super chuffed its gone to a great new owner and its good you can see the progress through here or the like. You've obviously thought about this hard decision but if it pushes you forward , enables you to breath and  progress then its a good move and this can be a chapter that shines in your life. I admire your decision, It cant have been easy...Well done Andrew, seriously, well done.

Shall I have auto-trader sent straight to your door or do you want it electronically ;) 8)

With very bestest Regards

Thanks Laverdaroo,
You are spot on. Yes, I thought long and hard about this decision and it wasn't easy, but the motivation left me so I guess it was cover the bike up or move forward without it. I chose the latter and I'm so pleased it's gone to a good home and to someone who will take it forward and enjoy it.

I use Auto-Trader online, but thanks for the offer....... ;D

All the best both,
Andrew
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 09:40:43 AM »
A short story about a one owner red TR6. Between 1973 & 1977 I worked at a car dealership in Burton on Trent when trade was badly affected by the 3 day week caused by amongst other things the Power Workers strike plus a fuel price crisis due to OPEC. This was when they started issuing fuel rationing coupons just in case. We had on our forecourt an M plated TR6 with 25k or so miles on the clock. We could not shift it so after 6 months on the forecourt we dropped the price a couple of hundred pounds. I forget the exact price but it was around £1200. About 2 weeks after the price reduction I received a letter from a bloke in Scotland who was interested in the vehicle. He was working on an oil rig in the North Sea, he had been sent a copy of the local newspaper and had read our advert. When he was back on the mainland he rang me asking why it was so cheap. I explained that big engined cars were not selling due to the current financial climate. I told him the truth about the car it was in mint condition the only blemish was a dent in the boot lid caused by someone closing it onto something inside the boot. The paint was not broken but the dent was there. He drove down from Scotland a few days later paying in cash! Oh how I wish now I could have bought it. I had charged up the battery, put some fuel in it and driven it for a test drive before his arrival. It's still fresh in my memory how well it drove - the grunt of the engine the massive torque.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:01:58 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal