Author Topic: The rebirth of Lazarus  (Read 31889 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: The rebirth of Lazarus
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2023, 03:26:45 PM »
Golly, that frame has seen some action hasnt it?
The wheels are shocking too aren't they but after refurbing some as bad for the 400, it's surprising what you end up with and I have no doubt that they'll look the biz when done Mick. Really looking forward to seeing those laced and the frame coated up. I'm with Ken on the 'get somone who know's bikes' to do it for you, saves a lot of money in the long run and means there arent any disapointments along the way. Nothing worse than receiving something that doesn't equal what you had in your head or were expecting!

The chap in Bristol who I use bunged every hole, inserted bolts in threads and those he didnt have sizes for he filled with 'Rock wool' durimg the process, not seen that before but worked a treat and dead simple to clean out leaving zero crap behind. Clever!

She's getting there MIck, keep at it buddy, she'll be ace when you've finished her.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2023, 03:39:27 PM »
The frame  indeed look like it’s past its best. I wonder if the structural integrity is compromised. The frame Ted has identified is of course an American import and may have had an easier life environmentally speaking. On average the American stuff seems to show much less evidence of corrosion.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2023, 03:59:52 PM »
The guy i am using has done a lot of bike stuff, his main business is car wheels, does not do other stuff like garden benches. I have just had an hour with the dremmel looking at the worst bits and honestly not as bad as i thought although i discovered a small hole on the rear footrest mount which will need welding, Ken that is a rough bit near the engine mount hole and will need a bit of fettling but not too much of a problem. I am determined to keep the original frame, although many other parts have been swapped he is a bit like Triggers broom, ( only fools and horses Trigger not our Trigger!)Frame and forks, tank and some engine parts original, and i still have the original crankcases to be repaired at a later date. It has become a labour of love to bring Lazarus back and I am determined to finish, or finish me trying!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2023, 04:20:26 PM »
Totally get that hope your frame can be saved I always like to have a worst case scenario back up just in case. 👍👍👍
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2023, 10:45:45 AM »
Reply from TripleS Ted. A 500 frame is £175 plus vat these days.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2023, 11:18:46 AM »
Some more progress while waiting for the frame to be powder coated, front wheel rebuilt with new rim and spokes plus bearings etc. Rear hub has been replaced with a re-lined item from Graham as original was cracked, and is all polished and refurbished ready for rebuild when my replacement spokes come. Received some re-chromed items, although some were not originally chrome but do like a bit of extra bling here and there. Quite a few sub assemblies are done ready for the big build so exited to see him coming together at last. Pics to follow from my phone

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »
Hang on....

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2023, 11:43:51 AM »
More

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2023, 12:09:11 PM »
Those wheels & hubs look brilliant.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2023, 03:27:54 PM »
I'm doing a front hub as we speak Mick, I know exactly how difficult it is to get any sort of decent result on them, by far the worst casting on the bike, the inner ribbing is especially difficult to get shiny, the bottom of the ribs curve is really poor with small pits everywhere, I'd say that was a really good result on that hub, mine might have been about the same starting. Not done a rear hub as I don't have spoked wheels and I binned all my rear hubs when they cracked.

Few questions, the chain adjuster have odd marks on them, is that reflection or a result of having them re-chromed? One of the bolts at the top is different, I presume the rest are number plate bracket bolts but one has a much longer shoulder, clutch lever pivot bolt? I've had a few of those parts done myself in the past, the rear brake spring will crack the chrome off I'm afraid, chrome doesn't like flexing much, keep an eye on it.

Done the brake rod as well, I'd suggest finding a stainless steel spring and adjuster nut on Ebay, they are available, the nut will lose the chrome as you use a spanner on it, chips the edges, same applies to the spring as the front spring, cracks off. I paired my brake rod with a chrome torque arm as well, looked really trick. Doing it again this time except the rear brake rod is stainless this time, if you haven't got those stainless bolts off the seller on the forum (Mark?) I'd advise doing that. Really nice job he made of them. Saves more rust.

Impressed Mick, it's coming along nicely.

You been grinding the edges of those parts to remove the cast marks Mick? the rear brake pivot pin is really nicely done and I know how poor those edges are, chrome just doesn't like sticking to such poor casting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 03:36:56 PM by Oddjob »

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2023, 04:22:00 PM »
Hey Ken, the chain adjusters is just the reflection, and yes the small bolts are number plate mount, and the long one is a clutch lever. I did wonder if the springs would crack the chrome but time will tell, I am sure i sent a torque arm but seems to be missing. I did not do any real prep, just a bit of wire brushing. I have not polished the hub centre, just wire brush finish.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2023, 04:24:43 PM »
Oh Ken which bolts are in stainless? the long engine bolts? I would like some but must have missed that post.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2023, 05:02:01 PM »
You may have a problem getting that plated brake pivot through the frame mount

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2023, 07:18:58 PM »
You may have a problem getting that plated brake pivot through the frame mount

I could not get my spare brake pivot (came with the return spring) to fit into the frame on my 500 with just a tickle of spray paint on it to stop corrosion!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2023, 10:14:26 PM »
I had mine plated and it fitted ok in the frame, I also fitted a grease nipple onto the frame running through the frame tube and coming out where the recess is on the pivot pin is. Worked a treat.

The bolts in question Mick were the 2 bolts which hold the torque arm to the bike, special one that runs through the brake plate and the one whihc runs through the flange on the swinging arm, they were made by a member on here called Max, AMX1992

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28777.msg272459.html#msg272459

He's still around, really good quality as well.

Oh IIRC he also did my rear wheel spacers as well Mick, the one inside the sprocket cover and the one next to the brake plate. Well worth dropping him a PM.

Oh BTW, you reminded me that I was restoring a set of chain adjusters some months ago, they were pretty bad, lots of pits etc, came off the bike that I'm doing now and are the original ones that came with the bike, found them again, luckily I'd stored them in a sealed plastic bag but they were still a little rusty after being stripped of chrome and ground to remove the pits, I've now finished one and the other is 95% done, just removing the pits now from the inner surface, not sure why I'm bothering TBH as I'll paint that surface with zinc paint when they are plated so they don't rust anymore but might as well do a good job whilst I'm doing them. They've come out really nice, no more pits and lovely and shiny, they were so bad I just bought 2 news ones to fit but I might as well sell those now. Been busy all week getting steel parts ready for the chromers, just done the torque arm, the front mudguard brace, the horn cover, the chain adjusters and halfway through doing a CB550F chain guard, I prefer the chrome look to that awful plastic one the 500 got, fits the swinging arm if you drill an extra hole in the rear fork area where the axle fits. I usually cut off the middle mount for the 500 chain guard as it's no longer needed. Still got a couple of grab rails to do, some speedo/tacho dishes and possibly my spare swinging arm, was chromed before and I liked the look of it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:29:14 PM by Oddjob »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal