Author Topic: The rebirth of Lazarus  (Read 37934 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: The rebirth of Lazarus
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2023, 03:06:02 PM »
I always do the oil test with no cam in and the camchain suspended on a socket bar or screwdriver. It's the last thing I do before buttoning up the engine.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2023, 01:33:12 PM »
still working on the electrics, the handlebar switches are temporarily plugged in to test they work before cosmetics are done. So far not too much trouble, needed a couple of new connectors but have working park dip and main beams along with all idiot lights, neutral light works correctly when in/out of gear and full beam and oil light also ok. A couple of questions about harness route near the seat area, the bit that goes from the main loom to the 8 wire connector at the top of the electrics plate, does it go through the space above the plate or to the side then up, will take photo if not clear what i mean, i have seen 2 pics in the manual and seem to contradict each other. also in the same area the wires to coils and brake switch, what exact route should they take? not much slack to play with.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2023, 07:23:03 PM »
Just went to look at my K0 as it's never been apart and surprised that it has a 12 way connector. Then looked at the K1 (8 way) that I put together and both go up and between the top of the electrics plate and the frame.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2023, 10:50:48 PM »
cheers that seems logical

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2023, 08:25:07 AM »
Just looked at all my build pictures of 500's and not one had the picture you require. If i get some time today i will dig out a 500K1 for a picture  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2023, 10:08:59 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2023, 12:01:54 PM »
cheers Graham thats perfect, i have it wrong which throws everything else out.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2023, 03:27:59 PM »
Thanks to Trigger and seabeowner I have re-routed the main harness to the correct position and fits much better. In that same area, the leads that supply the points and rear brakelight switch, do they go over the airbox then down the other side frame tube?. I have re-wrapped parts of the loom so all looking tidy now, and connected the rear light and indicators and started to paint the handlebar switches, etc but the headlamp shell has reacted to the paint so will have to re do it or use another one I have. Also found a positive battery lead of the correct type in my electrics box so fitted that. Feels like I am getting there but slowly, He will live again.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2023, 03:31:12 PM »
That regulator is missing a mounting bolt, sack the restorer  ;)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2023, 11:03:02 AM »
Thanks to Trigger and seabeowner I have re-routed the main harness to the correct position and fits much better. In that same area, the leads that supply the points and rear brakelight switch, do they go over the airbox then down the other side frame tube?. I have re-wrapped parts of the loom so all looking tidy now, and connected the rear light and indicators and started to paint the handlebar switches, etc but the headlamp shell has reacted to the paint so will have to re do it or use another one I have. Also found a positive battery lead of the correct type in my electrics box so fitted that. Feels like I am getting there but slowly, He will live again.

If you have taken a photo of your correct wiring harness route that would be handy for when I fit mine if you could post it here or send me a copy by e-mail if you want to avoid full scrutiny.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2023, 06:04:32 PM »
Still working on electrics, most things back in place. I am using some indicators i have in my spares, just picking the best condition ones to use for now. Does anyone rechrome indicator bodies or would it be easier/better/cheaper to buy from silvers.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2023, 06:47:47 PM »
The metal they are made from barely qualifies at being described as metal. Buy new, it's cheaper.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2023, 07:01:48 PM »
Still working on electrics, most things back in place. I am using some indicators i have in my spares, just picking the best condition ones to use for now. Does anyone rechrome indicator bodies or would it be easier/better/cheaper to buy from silvers.

They don't re chrome well Mick. Part number 33401-292-003 has now been superseded to 33401-341-701 and Sliver is not cheap at nearly £ 30 per base  ;)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »
Lazarus is still fighting me, had to open up the loom again as had an intermittent fault on side/rear light circuit, had a break internally so replaced wire, now ok. My new headlamp rim is proving a bit tricky to assemble, its the repro from silvers. Had to come away and have a coffee as getting frustrated, will attack again soon.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 19, 2023, 12:53:47 PM »
You must be having a bad day Mick. Must of fitted over 50 of those DSS head light rim kits, usually a 10 minute job  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal