Author Topic: New owner with a ignition problem  (Read 2019 times)

Offline mung

• View Profile
New owner with a ignition problem
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »
I just picked up a 74 CB750.  I think it has an issue with the power from the alternator to the ignition.  The battery ran down and the bike wouldn't kick start.  I charged the battery for a bit and it ran for a few minutes until the battery ran back down again.  I am guessing that the bike should run with a dead battery just on it's own power from the alternator but maybe these beasts are different.  The headlight does get brighter when the throttle is turned so that usually means the alternator is working.  So does anyone know where I should start to trouble shoot this?

A second smaller issue is that there is a small oil leak and it looks like it's coming from a notch in the top of the motor just behind the carbs.  It feels like there is a hole back there that maybe is supposed to have a breather that goes to the airbox or something?  The airbox is gone of course because it has cone filters.  I can post a picture of the area I am talking about if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New owner with a ignition problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »
Alternator is not a stand alone(like car) on the 750 it needs battery power to charge, You need to do a full charging/rectifier/regulator check as described in the Honda workshop manual--Not Haynes or Clymers

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
you should change the battery as a matter of course its a good sign that its chargeing but a battery will only give as much as its got, crap battery means crap electrics .there is a breather pipe above the carbs if there is oil coming from there could be bad news like a worn engine we need more info like is there back pressure coming from engine breather ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:44:53 PM by steff750 »

Offline swidds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:41:08 PM »
Hi Mate,

Had same problem with mine (1972 K series). On mine the old regulator was shot, so I upgraded it to an electrix world one. http://www.electrexworld.co.uk
and http://www.slickschoppers.com/TechArticles/DOHC_Regulator_Rectifier.htm for more info. I fitted the DOHC one rather than the SOHC because it seemed easier to wire in.

Best regards,

Paul

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
Hi,
I have a CB750 K4, if you post some photo's myself and others can give you some advice. as suggested, your electrics will need to be tested  to eliminate cable/connector faults and component failures. Do you have a multimeter?

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:16:12 PM »
Hi Mate,

Had same problem with mine (1972 K series). On mine the old regulator was shot, so I upgraded it to an electrix world one. http://www.electrexworld.co.uk
and http://www.slickschoppers.com/TechArticles/DOHC_Regulator_Rectifier.htm for more info. I fitted the DOHC one rather than the SOHC because it seemed easier to wire in.

Best regards,

Paul

Hope that you didn't throw the old regulator away? I found on several bikes that the 'points' were corroded & just required polishing up with a points file. I then reset the actuating voltage level using a variable power supply.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal