Author Topic: Adjusting air screws makes no difference  (Read 4054 times)

Offline swidds

• View Profile
Adjusting air screws makes no difference
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Hi all,

Now the CB750 is back on the road, I'm trying to fine tune it. After a good ride out to get it nicely warmed up, I attempted to adjust the air/fuel mixture screws on the carbs. Currently their all 3/4 of a turn out, but adjusting them is making no difference at all!. My understanding is I need to adjust them until the engine idle speed increases then turn back the idle speed with the main adjuster.

Any ideas why adjusting the mixture screws is making no difference?

Best regards,

Paul

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
Re: Adjusting air screws makes no difference
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »
Hi Paul.

It might be a bit difficult to detect a big differance when adjusting the air/fuel screw as it makes a small differance to the overall running of the engine. An air leak around the inlet rubbers will also affect air screw settings...this can be checked by squirting damp start/easi start/WD40 around the inlet rubbers with the engine running. If the engine sounds as though it's increasing in reve slightly, that's where the air leak will be.

From what I remember you should start with the screws turned out by 1.5 turns from lightly seated. The manual then states to turn the screw out until that cylinder faulters, but i've only found this procedure of any use when doing a twin or a single, as on a four the other cylinders seem to compensate to a degree.

If you start with 1.5 turns out, then check all other settings, then balance the carbs, this should give you a smooth running engine. Then, if you feel that the engine is not that responsive from tickover, i'd remove the carbs & check the float heights. It's the air screw & float heights which have the most effect on an engine at tickover, then at about 1/8th throttle the primary jet kicks in...but the air screw continues to affect fuelling all of the way through to full throttle, as does the primary jet.

Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline notobikeparkingtax

• View Profile
    • No to bike parking Tax
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
Do you still have the bellmouths on it that are shown in the pics on photobucket, and have you increased the size of the idle jets ?

If the answers are yes and no, my guess would be that the relatively tiny adjustment afforded by the screws is being drowned out by all that extra air.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:19:15 PM »

Next time I try to get my carbs sorted, I'm gonna invest in a Colortune - http://www.carbtune.co.uk/colortune.html.  Should be easy enough to see what's going on in the outer two cylinders without too much grief and get some idea of the best adjustment 'range' from there.

That said, I won't be buying it from that site.  Even eBay is cheaper.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:51:24 PM »
Hi Paul,

Have you used a set of 4 vacuum gauges to balance the carbs? I had a number of problems with setting-up my CB750 last year, leaking rubbers/eratic tick-over, purchased a set of gauges and followed the instructions, well worth the money

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
I had a Morgan Carbtune and it was excellent.

Simple to use and works really well.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/carbdtls.html
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline swidds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the feedback, going to try those out. Got a set of Davida gauges, yes, worth their weight in gold!

Away on business for the week, but will get some time next week to try the suggestions out...

I'll come back to the forum with how it goes  :)

Best rgds,

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal