Author Topic: Bit boring - exhaust collars/collets, getting it right  (Read 9329 times)

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Bit boring - exhaust collars/collets, getting it right
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
I'm coming out of hibernation....& thinking about going back in, given the turn in the weather  ::)

Last week the urge took me to take off the Motad system from the F1 & put the original exhaust back on.  I made the incorrect assumption that the Motad would be rigged with the original exhaust collets.  It wasn't - as anyone with a Motad will know, they appear to come as part of their system.  The first "gremlin" I encountered was that there were no ring gaskets in place.  Now this probably shouldn't have been an issue, barring the escape of a bit of 'gas' - but.....it was, because one of the ends of the pipes, where they are bent over had split around about 75 % of the dia. of pipe #3  I think it was the stress of being stretched & not cushioned by a gasket as there are no signs of any corrosion.

Gremlin #'s 2 & 3 - get the Motad system off, offer up the "original" & discover (i) I now have no collets & (ii) the bracket on the Motad doesn't fit the OEM silencer :-[

So.....Motad back on - with some c/h port gaskets this time & start looking for an F1 exhaust bracket & some collets.  I found a NOS bracket on Ebay on a reasonable'ish BIN, so that's on its way, but the collars are proving a bit more difficult.  Silvers are 'out of stock' & the "proper" ones have a double shoulder, presumably to spread the weight of clamping the pipes in ?  My lads CB125 ones are the same length & dia. but they have a 'single' shoulder.  CMS.Nl appear to have them for not too much money - question is.......what is everbody else using ?? Is it a case of "making do" with single shouldered collars/collets or working & looking a bit harder to find some double shouldered ones ?

There are some 'used' ones on Ebay in the States.....fair looking condition & even with postage if they don't get too much interest, they may come at a reasonable price.   If there are better Uk sources though, I'd like to get them before the weekend ! ;)
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bit boring - exhaust collars/collets, getting it right
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »
Can't help a lot as I bought mine from DSS, CMSNL are great but delivery is via sailing ship.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
(1) are you sure there were no gaskets as they turn to black rock and look like part of the casting

(2) i would have thought the earlier split collets would have worked but the only way to find out is try them

(3) try www.westernhillshonda.net but do email to see if they have them do not just believe the website ALSO be advised that only Airmail is available from the US now so it can be expensive if parcel is heavy

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
Cheers Bryan....no....definitely no gaskets - very surprised because the re-build was done by a Honda mechanic, but in all fairness, it may well not have been him who put the Motad on.

The split collets is what I'm after....but the 'correct' ones are effectively two layers, one atop the other ?

I''ll try that site - I found some listed at a Liverpool supplier, but when I rang they'd only got three....if any, as they we'rent sure their stock lists were up to date.
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
Ive seen the ones you mean and not sure why the change of design, perhaps longer?

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:09:02 PM »
The split colletts on F1'S do have 2 shoulders but only 1is used,  the one that is used by the cooling rings/roses is the bigger of the 2 half way down the collett the other shoulder may help to centralize the exhaust in the cooling rings/roses? cheers Mick.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
Hi-  IGNORE THIS I DID NOT READ YOUR POST CORRECTLY _ BUT LEFT IT BELOW AS IT GIVES FITTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MOTAD IN CASE ANYONE NEEDS THEM _ SORRY !!!!

I sold a Motad on Ebay last year  that came off  'The Monster from the swamp' which was a K7 fitted with an F1 motor. Look at the pic it shows the Motad collets which are complete circles and different from the Honda split ones. I am sure Motad told me that they can be bought as a spare part. Hope this helps, as I am no expert on the F1/Motads.

cheers

AshD

Below are details I got from Motad : -   IAN@MOTAD.CO.UK  (Ian Howell)

FITTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR HONDA CB750K7 (SOHC)
MOTAD REPLACEMENT EXHAUST SYSTEM M7HK7S

This system is comprised of:         1 M7HF silencer
                                                    4 M7HF downpipes (nos. 1-4)
                                                    1 M7HK7 bracket
                                                    4 no. 20 head rings
                                                    1 Motad nut and bolt kit

MOTAD strongly recommend that this system be fitted by a recognised dealer

1.  Place the motorcycle on the centre stand.  Remove the standard exhaust system. Retain the stand stop rubber and the Honda finned head clamps.

2.  Slide one Motad flared head ring (non-flared end first) onto each downpipe followed by a Honda finned clamp.  Fit the stand stop rubber in the bottom of the Motad bracket (the hole furthest from the two slots).  Loosely fit the 6mm nut and bolt in the clamp tube on the collector end of the silencer.

3.  As shown below, using the two 8mm nuts and bolts provided, mount the bracket onto the key slot in the silencer - position in approximately the middle of each slot.  Using the Honda nut and bolt, attach the mount to the rear side of the footrest hanger.    Mount the pillion footrest as before.  The rear brake cylinder mount is relocated with the Honda bolt.

4.  As shown below, slide the Q1M7HF downpipe into the silencer. Locate in the head on cylinder no. 1 (the nearest to the gear change).  Locate with the Honda nuts and finned clamp.  As shown below, slide the Q2M7HF downpipe into the silencer and locate incylinder no. 4.  Fit the other two pipes to cylinders 2 and 3.

5.  Carefully take the bike off the main stand taking care not to let the stand violently retract.  Check for correct alignment of the stand stop rubber.  If it is not correct, adjust the position of the mount bracket by moving it on its bolts until the stand is safely touching the stop.  Tighten all nuts and bolts when everything is correctly positioned.

5.  Run the engine and check for any leaks.  If the gaskets at the head were damaged when removing the stock system, they should be replaced.  If a leak occurs at the head, loosen the nuts and retighten carefully making sure each side is nipped up the same amount
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:44:04 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
The part you want is

18233-392-000

And according to motogrid in US its still availabe at $10 each half and is used on the 750 F & K from 75-78 Including the Auto's

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »
Cheers Bryan.....I'm hoping the ones I have an eye on, on Ebay will come in at a 'good' price.  One of those things you either want, or don't & not the sort of part people are inclined to 'lay up'.  Having to be patient, is the problem........ ::)

The NOS  F1 exhaust bracket arrived today, in it's parts bag with it's Honda parts label etc, & it is, as described, in 'as new' condition, so that's a +.

Not that the rest of the bike is !!.....but it's a "user" ;D & not bad for all that.   
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Post removed as contents may offend  ;)

cheers  AshD
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:43:27 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 03:14:02 PM »
SSSHhhhhhhhhh....... don't go telling everybody !!!!!!!!! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Must admit, hadn't suggested a B.I.N. to him, thought I'd just see how things panned out.......but now......everybody knows that (a) they're like Hens Teeth......& (b) what the listing number is  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;)
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »
ooohhhhh look exhaust collars, well spotted Ash  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »
Sorry about that just trying to help!!

Removed post with listing - I hate to say this but I don't think that many people visit this site and the people I have dealt with on here would not gazump you!!!!!!!!!

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_8598/    4.95 + VAT

I will email another guy I know in the US and ask him if he has any S/H
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:21:37 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:55 AM »
No don't worry i would not guzzump anyone my post was only a tease i was laughing away as i wrote it
Pete

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
No don't worry i would not guzzump anyone my post was only a tease i was laughing away as i wrote it
Pete

Well.....given that they're in short supply.....I probably would  ::) :o :-[

But given that I'd already got the maiden bid in ! I'm hoping I won't have to !! ;).............

now....what were we talking about ??? ??? ???
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal