Author Topic: 1975 CB750 P2 Police Bike  (Read 15146 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 1975 CB750 P2 Police Bike
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2022, 10:15:22 PM »

So

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
1975 CB750 P2 Police Bike
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2022, 10:15:30 PM »
Managed to get a few more hours on the police bike today, and she’s really starting to come together.

Siren test fitted and patrol lights fitted and wired. I’ve decided to run a red/blue patrol light setup for now (as opposed to the double red US setup). Not sure if this will stay this way, but is fine for now.

Master cylinder refurbished and fitted. Both controls have been refurbished - can’t fit the Lh switch until the clutch perch and siren lever perch come back from straightening and polishing.

Hit a snag with the tank paintwork - so that will be a couple of weeks away at least. What is it always the paintwork lol..

Anyway - progress photos below:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:19:42 PM by JamesH »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2022, 11:00:38 PM »
I can't see Mr Plod being happy with the blue light, for some reason they seem to think they own that colour on vehicles.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2022, 11:05:05 PM »
I can't see Mr Plod being happy with the blue light, for some reason they seem to think they own that colour on vehicles.
I think you’re probably right Ken - I’ll ask a mate of mine for some advise (he’s a serving road traffic cop). Sadly I probably know the answer…

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2022, 05:44:16 AM »
Just remembered James that back in the seventies I made a model of that exact same police bike, it was made by Tandy or something like that. It was on display in my mums display cabinet for many years, only the sight of the lights made me remember it. I wonder if it’s still available?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2022, 07:15:39 AM »
Tamiya used to make that kit...it's in my old catalogue which is buried upstairs somewhere. https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-16004-16-honda-cb750-police-bike-kit-p-5969.html

At 84 pounds it might be cheaper to buy one from James when finished!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2022, 07:52:21 AM »
Your correct about the blue light. Your not legally allowed to have any blue light on a roadworthy vehicle. Even the cruisers with blue LED's under the car get booked. Maybe don't wire it up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2022, 08:09:47 AM »
Your correct about the blue light. Your not legally allowed to have any blue light on a roadworthy vehicle. Even the cruisers with blue LED's under the car get booked. Maybe don't wire it up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Wired or not, you will get booked for having a blue light fitted when driven on the road.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2022, 08:29:47 AM »
I think you’re probably right Ken - I’ll ask a mate of mine for some advise (he’s a serving road traffic cop). Sadly I probably know the answer…

Just put a KC smiley cover over the blue light when on the road  ;)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2022, 09:21:59 AM »

Just put a KC smiley cover over the blue light when on the road  ;)
That’s exactly what I was thinking lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2022, 11:58:10 AM »

You are okay with a blue light until you switch it on - until then it's not really a light!
From my memory the legislation that covers emergency vehicles takes about a lamp emitting a blue light being restricted by the colour the lamp shines.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 12:27:42 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2022, 06:50:18 PM »
I think Ted is correct, you can have the light just not when its turned on and flashing. Plod lost out on knicking the cruisers with blue lights on steady under the car

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2022, 08:19:09 PM »
No, that's incorrect. From the relevant legislation:
"Only emergency vehicles can be fitted with blue flashing lights, or anything that looks like a blue flashing light, whether working or not."

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2022, 08:21:52 PM »
 There was a gov petition some years ago about blue lights on historic emergency vehicles and it was generally accepted they have to be covered when on the road. Strictly speaking they should be removed. Likewise the word Police should be covered.
This is the gov response to the petition.
 Blue warning beacons are intended to provide emergency vehicles with a means to inform other traffic of their presence and to assist in their safe progress through the traffic when responding to an incident. Whether or not switched on, they help to identify vehicles that are being operated by the emergency services and so the general public can have confidence they are dealing with a genuine representative of the service.

The wider use of these lights will eventually undermine the benefit they provide to legitimate users, hindering their ability to respond to an emergency and potentially endangering the safety of the public. Deliberate misuse of blue beacons to give the impression a vehicle is being operated by the emergency services could also increase if strict controls on their fitment are not in place.

We do not expect genuine owners of preserved emergency vehicles to abuse blue lights fitted to their vehicles. One solution would be to permit covered blue beacons, although this could potentially increase the misuse by non-emergency services. A change to the regulations must also be enforceable and in many cases it will be difficult to determine whether or not a vehicle is a genuine preserved vehicle or has been modified to deliberately deceive.

There is no simple, quick fix, of the regulations that avoids our concerns over misuse. The current regulations permit preserved emergency vehicles to be used with blue lights at shows provided they are removed before the vehicles are driven on the public roads and so we do not intend to change the regulations at this time. We will however explore with representatives of the police and other interested organisations whether there is an acceptable solution that can be considered for future implementation.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2022, 08:29:20 PM »

Strictly speaking the red light is illegal as well.
   Use a Vehicle on a Road Capable of Showing a Red Light of the Front
CJS Offence Code: RL89001

Offence Wording: Use a Vehicle on a Road Capable of Showing a Red Light of the Front

Contrary to regulation 11(1) of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

This offence carries a fine of £50 and no penalty points.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal