Author Topic: Seat strap fastenings have arrived - with two sets of fittings ?  (Read 756 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Seat strap fastenings have arrived - with two sets of fittings ?
« on: December 11, 2021, 07:49:03 PM »
My DS seat strap chrome fittings arrived today - they came with two sets of fittings.
1) A pair of short screws where one end screws into the other like kitchen cupboard  fastners.
2) A pair of shouldered longish JIS bolts.

My seat I do not think is original or it has been recovered - its too good for the age of the bike. The existing strap was held on with a JIS type bolts with nuts on the inside but the washers are crudely cut down by tangent & cord cuts as they were too big in diameter -both different sizes.

The parts book does not show the fittings as it list a complete seat - can anyone help with a picture or description of what is should look like on the underside of the seat please?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seat strap fastenings have arrived - with two sets of fittings ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »
Hi Ted
        Do the short screws fasten the strap to the buckle and the shoulder screws fasten the completed strap to the seat
 Ross

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 11:36:53 PM »
Hi Ted
        Do the short screws fasten the strap to the buckle and the shoulder screws fasten the completed strap to the seat
 Ross

Hi Ross, Looking again the existing strap loops throught the slot in the buckle so that the strap material is covered by the buckle - the bolt passes through the outside of the buckle then the strap material that is shaped to fit the inside of the buckle - through the hole in the seat with a nut & home made washer on the inside. Clearly the new long shouldered bolt is similar to the old one - I can only summise the buckle is for more than one fitment or my strap is an aftermarket one. The seat does have "HONDA" across the back. I suspect the odd washers were made by whoever fitted the seat cover. Looking at the original bolts again they are not JIS headed as I thought they are recessed hex drive. Ted

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »
I’m not being glib here but has anyone ever used the seat strap? I’m betting the answers no or at least not for the purpose it was intended for. I’m considering leaving it off my seat conversion as the bolt holding the strap to the buckle just puts a hole through the cover eventually and the buckle itself just rusts and the hole it has for it to attach to the pan just lets water in
Looking at the pictures, I removed mine in 1975.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »
I’m not being glib here but has anyone ever used the seat strap? I’m betting the answers no or at least not for the purpose it was intended for. I’m considering leaving it off my seat conversion as the bolt holding the strap to the buckle just puts a hole through the cover eventually and the buckle itself just rusts and the hole it has for it to attach to the pan just lets water in

You are not wrong Ken - in the past my lady pillions have put their arms round me (fear), blokes have gripped my luggage rack (not a euphemism). lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal