Author Topic: Black number plate or yellow?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Charliecharlcomb

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Black number plate or yellow?
« on: December 14, 2021, 08:14:23 AM »
Now my 1976 registered K1 qualifies, I am thinking about whether I should switch the yellow rear number plate for a black and silver one.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about this? I used to like the fact that the yellow plate made the bike feel more ‘modern’, but that was over 20 years ago. Now I like the fact that it is so old!

First world problems. Merry Christmas everyone.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Black number plate or yellow?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 08:19:40 AM »
Difficult but back in the day, they all had yellow plates from about 1972 (My new bike came with a yellow one in 72) The change in date for black plates only happened cos DVLA messed up and allowed them along with MoT and tax exempt.
But basically, your bike, whichever looks best in your opinion

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 08:52:38 AM »
My understanding is that to be period correct, b&w plates ceased some time in 1973? However DVLA does permit b&w plates for vehicles up to 1980. Personally I prefer to see things as being period correct, but guess whatever floats your boat will do.

Offline beardylondon

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
My bike is a 1976 came with a black and silver plate. It obviously wasn't original, as it's an import. I am big fan of them, but only on pre 1972 vehicles.

So, after having similar thoughts, also the fact the font was wrong, I had a black and yellow plate made by Tippers and I'm very happy with it, as to me it looks period correct.
1976 CB550 K2 (USA import)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
Back at the time, I eventually (after getting away with it for a long time) got pulled on my 1977 Triumph for a black and white plate, you could buy a plate and stick on numbers from Jack Bottomley's in Salford. I used it because a (deliberately) dirty and undersize B/W plate was much harder for a cop or indignant passer by to read (no cameras then). In those days the cut off was meant to be 31/12/72.

I was pulled for my plate on a wet M6 by a Range Rover, he didn't notice the fact that I nearly ran into him because I had no front disc and twisted forks, I was recovering the bike home after an accident. I just got a bollocking over the plate, no further action. When I switched to correct yellow plastic ones, they kept splitting due to typical Brit bike vibration, I mounted them using rubber grommets in the end.

My 1974 Z1-A 'should' have a yellow plate to be original, but as it was in the USA then, and has used a B/W plate since coming to the UK in 1995 (a used plate was included in the kit of parts I built it from), sod it I'll use the B/W plate because I can, plus it's part of the bike's history, and cooler.

I once noticed an outlaw type on a Sportster had a 'dry wipe' yellow number plate, and today's number of choice written on with a felt tip.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
For the safety aspect I'm staying with reflective just might treat myself to pressed alloy rather than plastic as I hate to see  delamination.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 07:48:07 PM »
I think the 'black/ silver plate up yo 1980' is just a bureaucratic cock-up. I don't mind rolling forward to qualify for tax-exempt but to do it for an old- style number plate is just silly.

There is a late seventies Mercedes SL with a black/ silver plate. I've only ever seen it head on, but it just looks wrong. It took me an age to work out what it was when it approached, as the plate colour didn't match the model era and the look doesn't match the classic seventies shape and style.

I'm all for the right plate for the year - but at the end of the day, it's your bike!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 08:12:52 PM »
My cb500/4 came to me with an old and well patinated black and white plate, I just stuck with it, it kind of looks right on that bike, and replacing it would loose the patina, the rest of the bikes got a similar distressed look. My landrover should have b+w but as local places only make up the modern plates, that's what it got. I still have the original b+ w but the original owner retained that reg number sadly.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 08:56:40 PM »

Best bet put someone else's plate on.  ;)

Offline wildtapholer

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 11:33:10 PM »
It's a personal choice really, I went for the black and silver.

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »
I think one of the advantages of the black and silver plate is it ensures those following realise you are not on some modern day pocket rocket especially for the smaller classic bikes. I have definitely noticed fewer people get up your backside since fitting to my 550. I think in particular it kind of shocks youngsters into wondering 'what the hell is that' not being familiar with the plate

Offline Charliecharlcomb

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 10:51:14 PM »
My understanding is that to be period correct, b&w plates ceased some time in 1973? However DVLA does permit b&w plates for vehicles up to 1980. Personally I prefer to see things as being period correct, but guess whatever floats your boat will do.

I hear you. I think I'll keep it as is.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 11:05:34 PM »
I think one of the advantages of the black and silver plate is it ensures those following realise you are not on some modern day pocket rocket especially for the smaller classic bikes. I have definitely noticed fewer people get up your backside since fitting to my 550. I think in particular it kind of shocks youngsters into wondering 'what the hell is that' not being familiar with the plate

Interesting point I tend to do the same if I'm in my Jeep I keep back to have a good gander at what the bike or car is.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 12:10:52 AM »
I really noticed when I put thr cb500/4 with its black and silver plates and sidecar back on the road this year, it gets way more road space/  respect from other road users, drive my berlingo down the same road, at least 50% of cars squeeze past you at some speed even in narrow places. The cb500/4 even with the chair is narrower but more like 90% of cars stop and pull over in a passing space to give me room to pass, virtually all slow right down.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 12:38:39 AM »
No Matt, that's because when your in the car they don't know your deodorant isn't working but on the bike they are downwind of you and try and give you as wide berth.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal