Author Topic: Greasing the swingarm.  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Greasing the swingarm.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 11:20:48 PM »
Thanks very much for the information. Sounds like I need to get myself a adjustable nozzle.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 09:43:30 PM »
750 is the same Ken, one missing from one end of mine so managed to tap new one in with a small socket that just fitted over nipple. Definitely tight!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »
To go back to the start of this thread the type of grease gun needed depends on the type of grease nipple fitted…. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] Hope the pictures have appeared!
The 350/4, 500/4, CB750 (up to about the K5), and other earlier Hondas used an earlier type of grease nipple  fitted in the ends of the swing arm pivot bolt which was effectively a simple domed head with spring loaded ball in its centre. This type of grease nipple requires a “push type” grease gun (Mine is labelled as being made by Kennedy) to insert grease, relying simply on pressure between the concave end of the grease gun and rounded end of the grease nipple to achieve a seal. These type of nipple are often damaged due to people using hammers to knock the pivot out when removing the swing arm, or chewed up by attempting to use the more common pistol/lever type grease gun with its claw like adjustable fitting to get grease in to them. I have never had much success trying to use the pistol type grease gun to lube this earlier nipple type.
The later more commonly recognised grease nipple type (400/4, 750/K6, 750F, etc usually found somewhere on the centre on the swing arm behind the engine) is the one that requires the pistol type grease gun for which the grip of the gun’s end fitting can be adjusted to improve its seal on to the nipple.

Chris R.

Chris R.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2021, 04:58:07 PM »
OR, you can thread the end of the swinging arm bolt and fit the threaded later type.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2021, 07:27:12 PM »
Most of the time i drill and tap 6mm then fit standard grease nipples

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »
Bought a new flexible hose for my grease gun and to my surprise it worked! Nice new grease in there now. It was a sod to get back off the nipple though. Thanks all for your advice. Now on to the calliper pin.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 02:57:33 PM »
For the caliper arm, if you undo the two caliper fixing bolts (they hold the two half of caliper together) you can then assess the arm by pivoting it in situ. It'll give you a good idea if it's stuck initially and give some idea of what's needed.

The caliper only has fluid in the outside half, so no leaking. Just don't pull the brake lever while dismantled.

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2021, 09:25:48 PM »
Thanks K2-K6. I took the caliper apart and the arm was moving quite freely. Should of put the caliper back together but instead took it all apart but couldn’t get the pin out of the bracket. Bryanj said it may need drifting out but will have to do that another time, I didn’t want to break something.
Have put it all back now , just having slight issue stopping the pads rubbing on the disc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal