Author Topic: Very, Very Brave Restoration!  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Very, Very Brave Restoration!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2021, 11:26:09 AM »
Did Dell boy emigrate after the H5 watch find?

Sincelerly, god rest his soul. There is great entry in his obituary where his mate recollects an instance when Delbert’s young granddaughter filled the fuel tank with water in an attempt to get it running again.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2021, 07:09:37 PM »
Every bike that is sent via these importers is clocked back to a ridiculous degree. They do it in the States then export them here so they can't be sued.
There are often tell tale signs. I've bought three from DK, looked over two, but one sight unseen. All have proved about right and the very low mileage example came with a US title. From this I traced the address and mailed him and he sent back a series of photos. He bought is as a return after payment default when it was a few months old, but it was immaculate.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2021, 08:02:15 PM »
Its not that easy to "clock" Honda speedos but as i explained to an obnoxious Trading Standards man motorbike speedo cables are not as reliable as car ones and frequently dont get changed for a while when they fail plus the speedo itself is way more fragile and one bike in the showroom had at least 5 new speedos in its 7 year life

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2021, 08:29:18 PM »
Or the speedo is not the one originally supplied with the bike.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2021, 08:48:03 PM »
Yes, it’s from America, though originally from Japan  ;). They all are……

I couldn’t and wouldn’t vouch for mileage on mine, but it came with 17k on the clocks and judging by the state of instruments, carburettors, engine bolts, running gear and engine internals is more than probably genuine. The cams bearings, chains and guides were less than 30% worn. Even the primary drive rubber elasticity was comparable with new. The mains, big ends and barrels were well within factory tolerance and all bearings unmarked. I guess I got lucky, very lucky. I still replaced them all. The engine is effectively brand new….still got to start it though.

Mine was evidentially stored in a garage by a Mr Delbert D Trotter of de Kalb. Illinois since 1982. Remarkably the bike is mentioned in his obituary. The bike came to market as part of his estate clearance. I even have the Deed of Title of that date. He bought it, used it for travel to work for a short time, fell off then stored it.

Still needed of a lot of work to get it to this stage. Just received all the chrome back for refitting…..lovely.

This one might not be the best one out there, but I bet its close. Not that’s it’s particularly important.

Prestige Phil?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2021, 08:59:31 PM »
Guy I went to college with in late 80’s decided to clock his old Cortina.
Took the speedo out to find a sticker saying ‘Oh no, not again’
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2021, 09:45:37 PM »
Yes, Prestige Ken.

A long wait, but worth it.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »
4 negatives in 6 months ...  one in last month from a well  p*ssed off Triumph T100 project buyer ... I would personally stay well clear.  :(
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2021, 07:10:44 AM »
4 negatives in 6 months ...  one in last month from a well  p*ssed off Triumph T100 project buyer ... I would personally stay well clear.  :(

The Triumph buyer does not appear to be complaining about the item just that it was not marked off as paid quickly enough?
Second negative was about delivery issue- other two were about electrical products - not defending him but 93.2% rating for low item turnover is not that poor imho.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2021, 09:43:37 AM »

The Triumph buyer does not appear to be complaining about the item just that it was not marked off as paid quickly enough?
Second negative was about delivery issue- other two were about electrical products - not defending him but 93.2% rating for low item turnover is not that poor imho.

Must be OK Ted. He is a Derby Man!! He also has a pretty rare but pretty tough CB1100 for sale.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
At least the mileages on some of his bikes look a little more realistic. From experience I would say the GS1000 is not economically repairable but would make a great parts bike if it was a bit cheaper.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
I have been on eBay nearly twenty years with over 1k transactions and some of my mates have been on the same time, with getting on for 4k transactions with no negatives. Whatever the nature sale/transaction  is, 4 negs in 6 months would set alarm bells ringing  with me ... it just doesn't stack up.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
A couple of the bikes that guy was selling looked OK, but there were some real rotters too.

I think part of the problem is that too many folk have got the idea that buying container loads of 'barn finds' in the US is a guaranteed money maker, and that people will pay good money for this stuff. If its a good bike they will...but when you see something like that GS, with a tank that has rotted through the TOP as well as the bottom, you just know the 'barn' it was found in was a scabby tarp, and you can find rusty old GS1000's that are beyond economical repair over here.....

The Gpz750, for example, looked quite saveable, and there was a nice XL500. But I wonder if some of these traders have any clue what they buy.....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2021, 03:24:31 PM »
I have been on eBay nearly twenty years with over 1k transactions and some of my mates have been on the same time, with getting on for 4k transactions with no negatives. Whatever the nature sale/transaction  is, 4 negs in 6 months would set alarm bells ringing  with me ... it just doesn't stack up.

Not arguing with your experience Ash but I have found some buyers expectations of used tems can be unrealistic I always drill down into the reasons for poor reviews then take them with a pinch of salt just like product reviews that are all 5 star.

When I bought my 400 the seller had virtually no ratings being  new to e-bay - but close enough to view before buying. I've also been misled by a seller with 99% ratings despite asking detailed questions.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 03:42:43 PM »
Ash, i cant get the resolution, do you think they are early "square" crankcases? He wont give me a frame number just says its 71

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal