Author Topic: Soldering temperatures.  (Read 739 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Soldering temperatures.
« on: December 27, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »
Santa bought me a new soldering iron, as I'm doing some electrical work but unlike my old one this has a variable temperature gauge. For routine joining /changing bullets and connectors what would be ideal temperature in centigrade?
Nice to have the choice rather than just get the point hot! , like my old Halfords cheepie.

Offline zombie365

• View Profile
Re: Soldering temperatures.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 10:34:38 AM »
Electronic engineer here. I usually set my iron to around 420c.
1977 Honda CB400F

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 01:09:17 PM »
Depends if you are using lead-free or not.

If you are working with 60/40 lead solder (which I would recommend for old Hondas)  then 350°C should be OK. 420°C 'ish for lead-free.

Don't solder any old Honda stuff (that's had solder on it already) with lead-free as you will get a very dull and inferior joint.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 06:45:44 PM »
Cheers guys.!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
Also worth getting some non-corrosive flux paste if soldering old bike electrical parts.
It's often quite difficult soldering old wired parts as the conductors were bare copper on Honda's , so after 50 years can be hard to solder. I usually splay out the strands and clean up by scratching with a scalpel blade and then re-twisting and dipping in flux to aid tinning. Of course new wire is the best solution but not always practical to replace.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384121468894
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal