Author Topic: Honda CB750K5 Restoration by Royhall  (Read 37766 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Honda CB750K5 Restoration by Royhall
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »
Just tried Cruzinimage.net again with the same order and again the postage is 201 dollars. I tried the send a quote option but it was the same amount. It works out much cheaper to pay more at Wemoto as the postage is nothing in comparison. Please don't tell me it's the pandemic excuse again.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2022, 10:31:42 AM »
Roy, when you buy multiple items from Cruzinimage, they take the full payment Inc Post at the point of payment. They then refund you the difference between what you have paid and what the real cost is, usually within a few hours.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2022, 10:39:17 AM »
That would make sense. But how do you know what the postage is going to actually be. A bit of a risk I think.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2022, 10:41:25 AM »
That would make sense. But how do you know what the postage is going to actually be. A bit of a risk I think.
I suppose I don't find it a risk because I buy from there very regularly, so am used to the system.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2022, 12:22:20 PM »
If they quoted postage of 200 dollars at point of sale, about how much would you actually pay. Seems like a stupid way to run a business.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »
If they quoted postage of 200 dollars at point of sale, about how much would you actually pay. Seems like a stupid way to run a business.
. It's not a stupid way to run a business Roy. You must be buying loads of individual items, that all attract a postage rate per item. I only know what final postage rate I pay, relevant to what I purchase. I usually only buy highish valve items and the postal cost works out very reasonable.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2022, 01:31:51 PM »
How else can you do it Julie? I have nine items in one basket and that's what they want for postage at checkout. I have requested a revised total from them and that's what they came back with, exactly the same. I cannot see anywhere on the website that says I will get an unknown quantity refund at some point if I fancy taking the risk. Now that really is a stupid way to run a business as I am not going to pay that sort of postage on one box of small fairly light items, so they lose the business. As you know, they are a strange lot to deal with, many of us are banned from buying off eBay due to asking perfectly normal questions. No, I'm going elsewhere.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2022, 03:01:37 PM »
How else can you do it Julie? I have nine items in one basket and that's what they want for postage at checkout. I have requested a revised total from them and that's what they came back with, exactly the same. I cannot see anywhere on the website that says I will get an unknown quantity refund at some point if I fancy taking the risk. Now that really is a stupid way to run a business as I am not going to pay that sort of postage on one box of small fairly light items, so they lose the business. As you know, they are a strange lot to deal with, many of us are banned from buying off eBay due to asking perfectly normal questions. No, I'm going elsewhere.

Roy, When I bought pistons and other parts from them last year the postage seemed a little high, but not enough to put me off. I paid at checkout as normal.
A day or so later I got an email notification of a small refund for the revised postage charge. It seems to be how they operate. It may be peculiar to Cruzinimage or it may be how Japanese online business works. I've not bought from other Japanese sites so I have no idea. Anyhow, it wouldn't put me off buying from them again.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2022, 03:09:00 PM »
I wouldn’t let the postage pu you off. I’ve had stuff from Cruzinimage and the postage deal always turned out just fine…keep the faith😀

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2022, 07:47:23 AM »
I requested a quote from Cruzinimage with an accurate postage cost. That arrived this morning via email and is 15 dollars dearer. They really are having a laugh, it's cheaper at Silvers (and that's not something I thought I would ever say). I will get the bits from elsewhere as the postage is just a rip off, it's as expensive as the parts themselves. The only thing I will order from them now is a piston set should I need it. Although if I don't take up the invoice offer they sent I will probably be banned from there as well as eBay. At those rip off prices ban away, I'm sure Wemoto will be grateful for the business.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »
Yep, if you have any problems with orders or take issue with them however small they just ban you!

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2022, 08:52:27 AM »
I had the tank as written off (see pictures on page 7) but decided to get it stripped just to see. Well I picked it up yesterday and was stunned. The tank is in really good condition.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

There is a small dent to the front left side that really is nothing. The odd colour around the dent and the badge bars is where it had been lead filled for the custom job. The lead is now almost fully gone except for a few drips that will sand off.

The insides that were quite badly corroded have come out spotless, and the underside that I was expecting to see rust swollen welds is like brand new.

The system used on the tank is a heat process that gets the metal hot enough to remove lead filling. The rust on the inside was removed using a chemical process. To be honest the whole thing has worked out really well and there really was no other way of removing lead filling. The badge bars are slightly bent but nothing that cant be straightened out. There doesn't appear to be anything like pinholes int the tank but I am going to line it as a precaution before I get it painted. The process cost £65 inc vat, a lot cheaper than a new tank.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:18:36 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
Progress has been a little slow for the past two weeks as those old bones of mine cant stand the cold weather anymore. ;D  I have managed to finish stripping the bike and have got the engine onto the bench and onto one of Triggers finest engine stands. Eight years ago when I did my 750F2 I managed to get the engine onto the same bench myself by setting up a beer crate and workmate as steps then rolled it onto the bench. I couldn't even get it off the floor now so that became a two man job. Isn't getting old fun.

The frame appears to be in good condition with just a bit of surface rust so no worries there. I have removed the old bearing cups as I am going to fit taper rollers as I have done with all my bikes. In the picture below you can see what looks like a spacer on the bottom bearing, does this need to be removed to fit the taper roller.

The bike was supplied without keys unfortunately but I have managed to get a pair from DSS for just a few pounds. The steering lock and the ignition are the same but unfortunately the seat lock has been replaced at some point so is a different key. Is there anywhere that can supply a seat lock to a key number as I would like it all to operate with the one key.

I'm just at that point in the job where the bits can be overwhelming, and in such a small cluttered space it is a big issue. Mrs H was stunned last night when I said I wanted to go to the garden centre (I hate the place), but they do sell a range of keenly priced plastic storage boxes. I guess I will still have to stare at some Geraniums though.

I have resisted stripping the engine until all the other parts are sorted and away for painting/plating etc. The only thing I will take off the engine for now are the alloy parts so that I can get them away for polishing as it seams to take ages for them to return. Before the polishing can go I still need to strip the forks and the wheels. The wheels wont get stripped until I get the wheel bearings out as it's far easier to hold the wheel with the tyres still on.

Some good news is that the spare K5 engine has arrived (thanks James) and the crank cases look to be in good condition. The only downside is that the engine takes up even more scarce space and I also now have to strip two engines instead of one. On the plus side if anything in mine is suspect I have a spare.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:51:10 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2022, 10:03:39 AM »
The electrics have not fared well with the passing years. It looks like the bike may have been stored in a damp shed with bright sunlight through a window as the plugs look just like UVA damage to the plastic. I don't think there's barely a wire or electrical component that's reusable. I have already bought a replacement main harness and I have a combined solid state regulator/rectifier that I bought for my F2 years ago and didn't use. I am assuming that will fit a K5 but haven't even remotely looked at that yet. Looks like I will have to buy any sub harness's that are available and make what isn't available myself.

There's a device on the electrics that I have no idea what it is, it's a little blue box that says "Safety Unit Starting Motor" on it. What does that do?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 10:12:32 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »
That box will not let the starter work unless EITHER the neutral light is on OR the clutch lever pulled in.
Some later Hondas had just a diode

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal