Author Topic: how to clean valves properly  (Read 2188 times)

Offline RBoss

• CB500 Four K0 1975
    • View Profile
how to clean valves properly
« on: January 09, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »
Hi all,

After rebuilding and painting the engine to replace primary chain + rubbers, I am now at the stage of rebuilding and assembling the cilinder head.

I am planning to (lightly, they are in pretty good shape) lap the valves and replace the valve stem seals. I have bought the lapping compound and the suction cup tool and am looking forward to this job. Before starting on that though I want to properly clean the valves from carbon etc.
I have watched several videos on how to clean the valves and on that basis I started cleaning the first exhaust valve by spinning it in a cordless drill using a scotchbrite pad/brass brush to clean the valve (see picture for the result). After cleaning the first valve I had the feeling there was some sort of coating on the valve. My question;

- have I done irreparable damage to the first valve or can I still use it?
- what is the best way to proceed with the other valves?

Pictures:

1. engine in restoration proces ;D
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

2. exhaust valves

3. inlet valves

Thanks!
Ruben
CB500 Four K0 1975
Amsterdam - Netherlands

Offline RBoss

• CB500 Four K0 1975
    • View Profile
Re: how to clean valves properly
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 06:34:46 PM »
Extra zoom in on the "scothbrited" valve on which I might have done some damage.
CB500 Four K0 1975
Amsterdam - Netherlands

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 06:39:12 PM »
To the best of my knowledge standard Honda valves have no "coating" although the tips may be stellite.
The valve seating area on the valve you show does look to be pockmarked and as these faces are not supposed to be machines only lapped you may have a problem getting a decent seal

Offline RBoss

• CB500 Four K0 1975
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 06:44:02 PM »
To the best of my knowledge standard Honda valves have no "coating" although the tips may be stellite.
The valve seating area on the valve you show does look to be pockmarked and as these faces are not supposed to be machines only lapped you may have a problem getting a decent seal

Thanks for your quick thoughts Bryanj. I am not very worried for a bad seal as there where no problems (to my knowledge) with it before I opened up the engine. I still have to lap the valves with compound so that might also make it better.

Any advice on how to clean the valves/take of the carbon?

Cheers,
Ruben
CB500 Four K0 1975
Amsterdam - Netherlands

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 07:15:33 PM »
Soak in paraffin or similar then the scotchbrite

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 07:48:37 PM »
The valves look like the seating are burnt. It is advisable to re- face the valves and re-grind the valve seats. Check the valve guide to valve stem clearances are within spec.
We find a good result de-coking valves by soaking in thinners for a day and wipe off.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline RBoss

• CB500 Four K0 1975
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 08:48:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

The valves look like the seating are burnt. It is advisable to re- face the valves and re-grind the valve seats. Check the valve guide to valve stem clearances are within spec.
We find a good result de-coking valves by soaking in thinners for a day and wipe off.

@ Julie what is een-facing the valves?
CB500 Four K0 1975
Amsterdam - Netherlands

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 08:58:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

@ Julie what is een-facing the valves?
Do you mean re face?
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline RBoss

• CB500 Four K0 1975
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 09:45:26 PM »

Do you mean re face?
[/quote]

Yes! Autocorrect on a smartphone…
CB500 Four K0 1975
Amsterdam - Netherlands

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 11:37:09 PM »
FWIW except when I have had to have new valve guides on car cylinder heads  I have found most valves will seat ok by just going throught the two grades of grinding paste. Coarse to remove the worst bits then fine for the final seating. It's tedious but I've always managed to get the surfaces back to where they should be. Professional engine r-ebuilders often re-face the seats as it's more cost effective but if your labour is free then its worth a shot.

It's time consuming but unless you have serious pock marks on the seating face they usually clean up okay. Your fist grind with coarse paste will usually reveal if the pock marks are too deep so need re-facing.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 06:54:04 AM »
FWIW except when I have had to have new valve guides on car cylinder heads  I have found most valves will seat ok by just going throught the two grades of grinding paste. Coarse to remove the worst bits then fine for the final seating. It's tedious but I've always managed to get the surfaces back to where they should be. Professional engine r-ebuilders often re-face the seats as it's more cost effective but if your labour is free then its worth a shot.

It's time consuming but unless you have serious pock marks on the seating face they usually clean up okay. Your fist grind with coarse paste will usually reveal if the pock marks are too deep so need re-facing.

Ideally though on Honda's Ted,  there is quite a tight spec. on the seat width..so that should be watched out for.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline RBoss

• CB500 Four K0 1975
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »
Thanks all for the advice!

I think I will starts soaking the valves in thinner or similar, clean them with scotchbrite and proceed with both the valve lapping pastes in the lapping procedure. Like you say Ted, I don’t mind spending time on a tedious job. That’s the reason I am in rebuilding this amazing bike anyway  ;D

Thanks,
Ruben
CB500 Four K0 1975
Amsterdam - Netherlands

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 08:59:40 AM »
There is a tool for lapping valves. Fits in a battery drill and it oscillates the valve. Saves loads of time and sore palms.
Had mine for about 35 years and still going strong. They have something similar on Amazon for about 20 quid

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 10:29:49 AM »
Hope someone can teach me on this. Is it true that some valves are special and are not supposed to be lapped and if you do, you will do more harm than good? Second question: what is it precisely, that causes valves to wear?

Offline RBoss

• CB500 Four K0 1975
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 10:45:29 AM »
Hope someone can teach me on this. Is it true that some valves are special and are not supposed to be lapped and if you do, you will do more harm than good? Second question: what is it precisely, that causes valves to wear?

Additional question to this, what would make the valves special (do I have them?  ::) )
CB500 Four K0 1975
Amsterdam - Netherlands

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal