Author Topic: Electronic ignition  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Electronic ignition
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 03:25:37 PM »
I don’t suppose you have the component and layout details of the velleman kit? Although I’m a thoroughly unaccomplished electronics guy, I have in the past built a variometer (back in my reckless dare devil hang gliding days) and I wouldn’t mind a crack at the ignition project.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
You may want to read: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,24475.msg222861.html#msg222861
The original cooling fins in the Velleman kit are an exaggeration in my view, soI have used the alu box and its lid to cool the power transistors.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2022, 03:37:14 PM »
Thanks for that, very much appreciated.

I’m going to give it a go.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2022, 03:46:52 PM »
It depends on what kind of person you are. Two Velleman kits K2543 will cost you around € 38,- so cost wise Hondamans with the six wires and the connectors is hard to beat ofcourse. When I made mine, Hondamans or other similar products weren't around, so I had no other choice than to improvise mine. If you, like I did, would buy the separate electronic parts yourself in an electronics shop (around € 14,- in total), you'd have to solder them on some experiment board after you've interpreted Velleman's wiring scheme. So you must really like to make things yourself and face possible frustration. For instance: I wanted to fit both modules in the smallest box possible* which has been quite a puzzle. But again, it has been worth it: it has always worked and still does today.
BTW, I have not been in a hangglider, but have done paragliding in the French Alps.
*Actually there's quite some space behind the side panel.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:05:48 PM by deltarider »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 04:16:13 PM »
I forgot to mention I'm building a new one for a friend, after I ran into two original Velleman kits I could have with a 35% discount. The advantage over buying the components separately is, that you have the prints which makes it dead easy to make them and they will fit in an even smaller box. When I made mine the first time using experiment board I had to improvise, like where to make bridges and where to 'interrupt' the lines.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 04:54:40 PM »
I could be your friend  ;D.

Seriously though I’ll source two units and give it a go. Seems it will cost around £35, so might still go the Hondaman route if the group purchase comes off.

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2022, 05:15:46 PM »
Fish? Wtf??

Bloody spell check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;D was wondering about that, and when we went to a fish barter system.  Thoughts of you coming home from a hard day's trawlering with a box of fish for Ken  ;D

I am an aquatic consultant as a profession so if Ken'd take a bag of roach we can have a deal ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2022, 05:24:15 PM »
Would value be based on size, weight or rarity?  For example blow fish is probably worth more £per kg than say a Chub, cod or trout. Is sea fish worth more than fresh water fish and does salmon vary in worth if is caught at sea or fresh water.  ::). Just wondering.

On the topic of Hondaman ignition, do the original capacitors need to be in full working order?

Freshwater fish are very much more expensive than sea fish due to you having to rear them which isnt a quick fix. Example being..... A carp, say over 10lb you will pay anything up to £25-£30/lb, a carp over 30lb youre talking anything up to £80/lb depending on the strain, age and previous growth rates and food conversion rates and effficiency proven.

Trout are relativly cheap and so are small silver fish but generally the longer it takes to rear, the more the price so a 1lb Roach would be abput £6/lb where a Tench that takes twice as long to get to that size would be about £9-12/lb.

Told you I was boring, but you did ask ;D 8)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2022, 05:50:50 PM »
No, that’s really interesting actually. I spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to outwit fish on the banks of the Ouse, Derwent, Swale and assorted ponds in Yorkshire. It’s rather satisfying to know that I’m losing to a no good maggot eating type that’s has a £/kg value exceeding mine. No wonder those intensively stocked fishing ponds are targeted by unscrupulous types.

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2022, 06:33:16 PM »
No, that’s really interesting actually. I spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to outwit fish on the banks of the Ouse, Derwent, Swale and assorted ponds in Yorkshire. It’s rather satisfying to know that I’m losing to a no good maggot eating type that’s has a £/kg value exceeding mine. No wonder those intensively stocked fishing ponds are targeted by unscrupulous types.

You have no idea, it's horrendous!

I used to fish the Swale a lot, the Nidd and all over around York when I was up there. Some bloody good dangling to be had ;) :)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 07:13:10 PM »
I could be your friend  ;D.

Seriously though I’ll source two units and give it a go. Seems it will cost around £35, so might still go the Hondaman route if the group purchase comes off.

Why not go one better Phil .. get something like this in the link  and a build CDi like I did for my 1st 400/4 (from York BTW XDN 128R and still out there on SORN but listed as Red and it was Varnish Blue when new).

It was  based it on the Kwak  H1 CDi but the H1 had a high voltage winding  coil on the alternator so i built a 400V inverter to generate the HT instead.

Something like this:-   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253621579134

I did over 20k miles with that CDi on it and it was still fitted when I sold it in 1980.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2022, 07:20:03 PM »
Oldboy is  bound to be really confused now, i believe he is going to buy some fishing tackle , take the bike to the nearest lake throw it in, cast a line and hopes it will be hooked and come out sorted. :D

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 07:25:49 PM »
 Wow. Remember Ash you are taking to somebody who struggled with the complexity of your coil fix…thanks again for your help with that.

I’m definitely inspired though and I’m going to give it a go, just because I can. I’ve even bought a Fluke 117 on the strength of it.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2022, 07:33:31 PM »
Oldboy is  bound to be really confused now, i believe he is going to buy some fishing tackle , take the bike to the nearest lake throw it in, cast a line and hopes it will be hooked and come out sorted. :D
[/quote ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2022, 07:36:16 PM »
Wouldn't that make a whole hondaman ignition delivered to your door about two-carp-ten (ch) then  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal