Author Topic: Electronic ignition  (Read 13414 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Electronic ignition
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2022, 11:09:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I’m about to delve into the mysterious rabbit hole of e lec tronics.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »
Back then, the product I wanted, was not around. This because it was my desire to preserve the breakerpoints, so I could return to stock in case of failure. In those years I traveled adventurously in far away parts of Europe. I realised that my experience with that Velleman kit under the hood of my car had been good, so why not make a double one for the CB500. I now had the list of components and the scheme and I thought it would be a nice challenge for a noob like me.
Buying components separately and solder them to experimentboard like I did, is ofcourse the cheapest way, but to arrange it (the experiment board) is a bit of a puzzle and then squeeze them (it's two ofcourse) into the right box, also was. I've managed, but now that I will make another, I have chosen the next level in cost and have honoured Velleman by buying two sets of the K2543 kit. Then you have the prints and soldering the components is a piece of cake. So far I have never read something negative about the K2543. It's a very popular mod and the kit is much praised. The graphs I showed above were the resuts of a test a Dutch engineer has carried out with a MG sportscar. He is a member of a MG club.
Then you only need the appropiate box. I suggest aluminium, so you can use bottom and lid for the power transistors to dissipate heat, in stead of those exaggerated cooling fins.
For an initial test I had the box under the rubber strap that holds the battery in place. Once I had noticed that the unit still had not moved a mm, I decided to leave it there permanently. 
Again cost wise, Hondamans is a good alternative for a reasonable price.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2022, 12:24:12 PM »
Thanks guys. I’m about to delve into the mysterious rabbit hole of e lec tronics.

If anyone has a design they want to make up ...  I can do a proper glass PCB
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2022, 03:14:09 PM »
Forgive me my ignorance, but what is a glass PCB? :-[ Can it break?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2022, 03:58:37 PM »
Forgive me my ignorance, but what is a glass PCB? :-[ Can it break?

Sorry ! Acually Epoxy-Glass PCB .. Type FR4
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2022, 07:42:49 AM »
Here is an epoxy-glass (FR-4)  PCB I designed and had made last year. The dark green is an epoxy mask that coats the board but doesn't cover the areas that are to be soldered.

I checked and the ignition transistor I used in my tester and was a BU323Z (I will always remember it now as ---323---is the CB500/4 centre part code reference ;D.  ) It's specifically designed for electronic ignitions etc. and has an internal  360v clamp.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1916279.pdf

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2022, 08:29:45 AM »
Could it be that the 'Z' in BU323Z stands for an integrated zener diode?
Addition: Just saw in the spec sheet, it indeed is.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:31:48 AM by deltarider »

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2022, 10:12:07 AM »
For clarity, are you guys recommending I source a 323 as a direct replacement for the TIP unit? Or should I go with the BU931P?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2022, 11:34:08 AM »
For clarity, are you guys recommending I source a 323 as a direct replacement for the TIP unit? Or should I go with the BU931P?

What's your circuit Phil?

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2022, 11:47:48 AM »
Hi, Ash

Electronic Ignition.

I’m intending the replicate the Velleman product, but by buying individual components rather than the ‘kit’. In doing so I’m going to build 2 systems. One for the 500 and one for the 550. The way I see it it’s cheaper than buying OE capacitors and the avoids the concerns over unreliable capacitor copies.

Although the Belleman item is good value in my opinion at about £35 per bike.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2022, 12:25:34 PM »
I was going to respond with more of my own view when I had time to write it, and will post that later.

It was more about your double barrelled name part that's humorous but in this case felt it was more the achievement of Bransden being recognized, justifiably I feel, in his contribution but added to the Boyer name (local bike dealership) in bringing it to market and providing finance to realise the initial production development.  Seems honest to me.

Normal to credit clever thinking people in many fields, I have worked in others where the originator is specifically named due to the step chamge they brought along https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosambi%E2%80%93Karhunen%E2%80%93Lo%C3%A8ve_theorem such as this, when most can stand back and say "ooh that's very clever"  :) this having a mathematical purity that's demonstrated by pushing data through the intended direction of use,  but then moving it backward to exhamine how it compares to original start point in quantifying just how much of the original data is missed or reproduced.  Normally referred to as a KL Transform, and definitely transformative in image data handling.
WHAT???? ;D ;D ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »
I was going to respond with more of my own view when I had time to write it, and will post that later.

It was more about your double barrelled name part that's humorous but in this case felt it was more the achievement of Bransden being recognized, justifiably I feel, in his contribution but added to the Boyer name (local bike dealership) in bringing it to market and providing finance to realise the initial production development.  Seems honest to me.

Normal to credit clever thinking people in many fields, I have worked in others where the originator is specifically named due to the step chamge they brought along https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosambi%E2%80%93Karhunen%E2%80%93Lo%C3%A8ve_theorem such as this, when most can stand back and say "ooh that's very clever"  :) this having a mathematical purity that's demonstrated by pushing data through the intended direction of use,  but then moving it backward to exhamine how it compares to original start point in quantifying just how much of the original data is missed or reproduced.  Normally referred to as a KL Transform, and definitely transformative in image data handling.
WHAT???? ;D ;D ;D

Warning! Scientist speaking. 😁
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »
Do you mean this Phil?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2022, 02:48:29 PM »
If I may answer for Phil, that's the one. BTW, Velleman's kit includes a few extra resistors for those who need it in a 6 V application.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2022, 03:55:07 PM »
Yes, that’s the one.

The 2N2219A is available, unless you can recommend an alternative. Obviously the substitute component was for the TIP 162 as debated earlier. It’s just that I’m now unsure whether to use the BU323Z or the BU913P. Additionally, if I use the BU323Z can I discard the serially connected ZD1 and zD2?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal