Author Topic: Electronic ignition  (Read 13511 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Electronic ignition
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2022, 07:44:25 PM »
Mirror, common, leather or crucial?

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »
Crucian.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2022, 07:56:18 PM »
deffers 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2022, 08:15:30 PM »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2022, 08:16:04 PM »
I could be your friend  ;D.

Seriously though I’ll source two units and give it a go. Seems it will cost around £35, so might still go the Hondaman route if the group purchase comes off.

Why not go one better Phil .. get something like this in the link  and a build CDi like I did for my 1st 400/4 (from York BTW XDN 128R and still out there on SORN but listed as Red and it was Varnish Blue when new).

It was  based it on the Kwak  H1 CDi but the H1 had a high voltage winding  coil on the alternator so i built a 400V inverter to generate the HT instead.

Something like this:-   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253621579134

I did over 20k miles with that CDi on it and it was still fitted when I sold it in 1980.
If that one is a CDI, I don't know if I would want one. What I've heard - so, it's not from personal experience - the delivered initial ultra short Volt peak is very high, but there's practically no burn time, so if the initial peak misses for some reason, there's no reserve. CDI (thyristor) works well on some bikes like two strokes (?), on others a transistor EI is favoured. Again, this is from hearsay.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:20:21 PM by deltarider »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2022, 08:46:38 PM »
I could be your friend  ;D.

Seriously though I’ll source two units and give it a go. Seems it will cost around £35, so might still go the Hondaman route if the group purchase comes off.

Why not go one better Phil .. get something like this in the link  and a build CDi like I did for my 1st 400/4 (from York BTW XDN 128R and still out there on SORN but listed as Red and it was Varnish Blue when new).

It was  based it on the Kwak  H1 CDi but the H1 had a high voltage winding  coil on the alternator so i built a 400V inverter to generate the HT instead.

Something like this:-   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253621579134

I did over 20k miles with that CDi on it and it was still fitted when I sold it in 1980.
If that one is a CDI, I don't know if I would want one. What I've heard - so, it's not from personal experience - the delivered initial ultra short Volt peak is very high, but there's practically no burn time, so if the initial peak misses for some reason, there's no reserve. CDI (thyristor) works well on some bikes like two strokes (?), on others a transistor EI is favoured. Again, this is from hearsay.

Well my 400/4 never missed a beat in 20k miles... just saying

CX500, Superdreams etc had CDi based ignitions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:55:47 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2022, 09:26:05 PM »
I’m sorry to disillusion everyone but I’m actually massively allergic to fish, no I’m not kidding, anything out of the sea makes me very ill indeed. My son brought home a curry a few weeks ago and it must have had fish oil in it or something, my skin felt like it was on fire all that night, I had to keep throwing up to try to get as much out of my body as possible.

I had a kidney test a few years ago where they inject you with iodine and watch to see how long it takes your kidneys to clear it, as iodine is fish based evidently I had to have a consultant present in case I went into shock but it appears iodine is ok with me.

Roo, Mark says the flat rate box can take another module but no more. So I’ll add you on, be aware though that we may get customs charges, you still ok with that?

Sorry for those others who were interested but nothing stopping you from a little group buy yourself, I reckon you could get 3 modules in a box, it’s only because I’m buying the fuse box as well that the limits 2
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2022, 09:40:39 PM »
That’s ok oddjob. Thanks taking time to make the enquiries.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2022, 10:01:54 PM »
Just a quick and novice question deltarider. The kit claims to have a maximum current rating of 4A. I’m guessing the nominal current draw for the original system is circa 3 to 3.5amps with OE coils? Is that uncomfortably close or are the units generously thermally rated in your opinion?

Apologies for such a basic question, but my electrical knowledge is pretty rudimentary.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2022, 10:38:23 PM »

'Roo, Mark says the flat rate box can take another module but no more. So I’ll add you on, be aware though that we may get customs charges, you still ok with that?'

Ken, if I remember right, Mark put 'repairs' on the customs docs - I didn't pay customs, just arrived through the post. Fingers crossed, the same applies to your order!

Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2022, 10:57:36 PM »
sorry, just seen this, yeah, I'm in, send me some 'dims' and I'll fire some money over as and when required. Thanks for sorting all this out, whoever it is, I've lost track.. ;D

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2022, 11:01:10 PM »
just had another read............Cheers Ken ;D

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2022, 04:23:12 AM »
Money sent Roo. Sorry for the thread hijack.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2022, 09:38:22 AM »
Just a quick and novice question deltarider. The kit claims to have a maximum current rating of 4A. I’m guessing the nominal current draw for the original system is circa 3 to 3.5amps with OE coils? Is that uncomfortably close or are the units generously thermally rated in your opinion?

Apologies for such a basic question, but my electrical knowledge is pretty rudimentary.
So is mine actually  ;D
To me it seems there is nothing to worry about. Mine have switched current trillions and trillions of times (both 4,7 OEM as well as 3 Ω Dyna coils) and the unit is protected by zener diodes. The old Velleman K2543 parts, like I have used on my bike, have the TIP 162 as a power transistor, which, it seems, is no longer available. The newer which I am about to solder for a friend, have the BU931P transistor. No idea if that makes much difference if any. Experts are welcome to share their views.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:42:03 AM by deltarider »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2022, 11:02:02 AM »

So is mine actually  ;D
To me it seems there is nothing to worry about. Mine have switched current trillions and trillions of times (both 4,7 OEM as well as 3 Ω Dyna coils) and the unit is protected by zener diodes. The old Velleman K2543 parts, like I have used on my bike, have the TIP 162 as a power transistor, which, it seems, is no longer available. The newer which I am about to solder for a friend, have the BU931P transistor. No idea if that makes much difference if any. Experts are welcome to share their views.

If I was building a points replacement transistorised ignition I would use one of the modern 'ignition driver' transistors like I used in my coil tester in the video link. I will check tomorrow when I am back at work which device I used. ..may well have been a BU931P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxWtR_m80Fc
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal