Author Topic: Stuck screw in clutch cover  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck screw in clutch cover
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 06:40:46 PM »
Something wrong there Alez, far too much thread showing, it may have been really badly cross threaded and that's why it was so locked.

Should have tried heat at the same time as the grips, most things will move that way.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 06:43:23 PM »
Something wrong there Alez, far too much thread showing, it may have been really badly cross threaded and that's why it was so locked.

Should have tried heat at the same time as the grips, most things will move that way.

Oh I did, I really did. I blasted it with fire. It just kept its place. Not sure what to do now though… actually never tried a screw that sat in there so tight and seized up.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 06:54:45 PM »
You can try and drill it out but it will probably end up needing an helicoil or something similar.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 06:58:42 PM »
Spark erosion will work. Search to see if there's anywhere near you.

Alternatively, a good welder may be able to weld a bolt onto what's left?

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 07:21:09 PM »
I think if its stuck in that bad, welding anything will just end up with the same situation as before.
I think your only option is drilling it out. You need a good flat surface to drill and the key is a good central starting point - use a spring loaded centre punch to punch dead centre of the screw. Use a good quality Colbalt drill in a variable speed drill, starting at 3mm going up to the 6mm tapping size (5.0mm).
To reiterate, the key is drilling central and square as if you are off centre, the drill will go to the softest material and vere towards and grip into the alloy case.
Going straight to the helicoil option gives you more tolerence as you will drill the entire screw out when using the helicoil tapping size drill - you have more tolerence in being slighly off centre. Always good to have an M6 Helicoil kit in your tool kit as it will always come in handy.
Don't get too down about it Alex, we have all been there.
Maybe worth looking on Youtube to see the helicoiing process to give you confidence
Hope that helps
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:39:14 PM by philward »
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline murdock

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 08:34:54 PM »
si no te sientes seguro de resolverlo , dejalo , agrega un poco de sellajuntas y tal vez no pierda , algun dia lo quitaras con la destreza y herramientas adecuadas

if you don't feel confident in resolving it, leave it alone, add a little sealant and it may not leak, one day you will remove it with the right tools and skill.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 09:05:04 PM »
si no te sientes seguro de resolverlo , dejalo , agrega un poco de sellajuntas y tal vez no pierda , algun dia lo quitaras con la destreza y herramientas adecuadas

if you don't feel confident in resolving it, leave it alone, add a little sealant and it may not leak, one day you will remove it with the right tools and skill.

Yes, I was honestly thinking about that as well. But still. I have the whole engine apart, so might as well to it now. Anyways, it broke off at a point where I can still take the rest of the engine apart, so I'll do that for now :)

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 07:57:22 AM »
If there is enough sticking out, get a slightly bigger nut and get it welded on with plenty of weld in the nut.
The heat from the welding will be far more than you put on it before and more direct, this normally breaks the bond between the bolt and the case.
Never failed for me  :)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2022, 08:06:42 AM »
If there is enough sticking out, get a slightly bigger nut and get it welded on with plenty of weld in the nut.
The heat from the welding will be far more than you put on it before and more direct, this normally breaks the bond between the bolt and the case.
Never failed for me  :)

I considered taking it to a welder for exactly that. But hard to imagine anyone else putting more stress on it than I have already. Id be worried enough is sticking out to weld it without hitting the surface, which needs to be kept clean so it can still seal. But will have to see what others can do. It would seem I am out of my own league on this one :(

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2022, 09:30:41 AM »
Once you have stripped the engine completely, try clamping the stud in a vice, apply lots of heat to the case at the stuck end of the screw and turn the whole case, it may just give you enough leverage to break the bond. What heat source are you using? A normal little hand held gas cylinder like plumbers use will be of no use. You need a proper gas cylinder or even oxyacetylene.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2022, 11:07:06 AM »
It was at this stage with my cylinder head that I wimped out and took it to the local engine (car) shop, I tried the hot cold, treatment, the violence, the penetrting oil  but when I ended up with a stud broken off flush I knew it was time for me to quit, the cost of taking it to someone else was peanuts, the cost if I messed up would have been far greater.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2022, 07:42:55 PM »
It was at this stage with my cylinder head that I wimped out and took it to the local engine (car) shop, I tried the hot cold, treatment, the violence, the penetrting oil  but when I ended up with a stud broken off flush I knew it was time for me to quit, the cost of taking it to someone else was peanuts, the cost if I messed up would have been far greater.

Cheers

Dennis

Seems like the exact stage I am at right now Dennis!

Did he get it out with threads intact, or how did your situation end up?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2022, 08:25:47 PM »
For your clutch one Alex, if you can get a nut (10mm) onto the stud, then get it welded to the stud down in the recess to fully bond the nut and stud together and effectively give you a bolt.

Then, don't try to undo it with torque, use a drill/screwdriver (specifically not an impact driver) and use it with a socket adaptor to persistently rattle the stud anti-clockwise. It may take time but it should eventually and gently loosen the stud. The heat from welding it will help too.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2022, 10:08:24 PM »
If as it appears you are stripping the whole engine down I would press on with the dismantling see if any other bolts are going to be difficult then see if any other engineering jobs need doing then decide if it worth going to an engineering firm to get any issues that arise done.

FWIW I could not get the big Crank case bolts undone as my cordless impact gun did not have enough torque for the larger bolts. A friend came to my assistance with his Mulwarkee Industrial Cordless Impact tool and they all came out easily. A local engineering firm put a pair of Helicoils in the casing for the tensioner arm as I did not trust myself to do them. (One was stripped)
I even bought a spare casing as insurance just in case it all went wrong. Nice to have a spare if I ever needed it - it came in handy when I had an issue with gearshift movement as a comparison and source of gear parts that I did not use in the end.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:13:04 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »

Cheers

Dennis

Seems like the exact stage I am at right now Dennis!

Did he get it out with threads intact, or how did your situation end up?

Drilled out and an insert fitted, the bike had sat for ten years and what had started out as a quick turnaround ended up taking me two years, luckily when I took the top end apart the only thing that needed attention apart from the stud was one stuck piston ring

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal