Author Topic: Cleaning internal parts of engine  (Read 615 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Cleaning internal parts of engine
« on: February 11, 2022, 04:28:41 PM »
Hey all

Ok, so I've just taken apart my entire engine, and am now proceding to cleaning the whole thing. My shell bearings looks to be in good condition. I was thinking just replacing primary chain and rubbers. My question is - how to clean the internal parts, when I am not splitting them apart? Is that advised? I mean, cleaning the transmission while all the cogs are still on the shaft. Cleaning the crank with the crank shafts still on it. Cleaning the primary drive shaft without removing the bearing and cog. And also cleaning the four bearings (that also seems to be gliding smooth and with no nick or anything.

Can I clean them as I would clean the engine case, or is it better to just let them stay oily and put them back in a clean case. Or do I have to take them all apart completely to clean them?

What have you guys done?

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning internal parts of engine
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »
i left mine oily and had a little wipe here and there to remove any sludge. i just replaced the rubber bushes and replacing the piston rings next, but both my engines are good with low mileage
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
You can use safety kleen then reoil afterwards

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 01:15:52 AM »
Whilst I can’t vouch for the moving internals I’ve been cleaning all my fasteners / oily bits in Simple Green - a tip from the US Forum as I recall. Just leave ‘em soaking 24-48 hrs and bingo, all greases and oil gone. So much elbow grease saved….

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 06:53:22 PM »
Ah, don't have Simply Green where I live, but it looks like basic all purpose cleaner. I will try that.

What have you guys done with your bearings? Just same treatment and then some grease before putting them in? Or maybe they get oiled enough when the engine starts running?

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »
I used petrol for most of my cleaning put the dirty petrol in with some old engine oil - I use a 5 gall Jerry Can so only do one visit a year to the tip.
I used some spare ATF for assembly as it thin then assembly lube for Crank Bearings etc.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 07:39:17 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal