Author Topic: Stripped oil passage cap on bottom end. Solutions?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Stripped oil passage cap on bottom end. Solutions?
« on: February 13, 2022, 12:30:20 PM »
Alright, so this bugger striped in the very first try of unscrewing it. Any advice?

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Stripped oil passage cap on bottom end. Solutions?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 12:57:22 PM »
Stiltsons and replace it

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 01:04:01 PM »
*Sigh*

The sheer amount of excessive force required to take an engine apart is mind-boggling! Thought the process would be a little more finessed.

Hopefully putting it back together again will offer the finesse I am longing for…

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 01:05:19 PM »
Sorry, but did you say “Stripped”, as in the thread stripped.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
Or just a rounded cap head? Never known one strip, but deffo had to destroy a few getting them out. I have in the past reclaimed them, filing the flats to the next size socket. But it’s a tedious and unrewarding exercise and I’d be inclined to just replace it.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 01:40:53 PM »
Or just a rounded cap head? Never known one strip, but deffo had to destroy a few getting them out. I have in the past reclaimed them, filing the flats to the next size socket. But it’s a tedious and unrewarding exercise and I’d be inclined to just replace it.

Rounded of course. Sorry bout that 😊

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 01:50:29 PM »
I ALWAYS use 6 point spanners/sockets on these alloy nuts. Same with tappet cover. 6 point spanner, take up any slight slack and tap spanner end with hammer.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 02:39:22 PM »
Had to remove all 3 just last week, 6 pointed impact socket and a decent impact driver got them out no problem but they were tight.

That nut is now wrecked so try this, sharp edged cold chisel, cut a slot at 3 o’clock, not the time, the location, angle the chisel and hammer into the slot so it drives the nut round not down. Works nine times out of ten.

It’s an old mechanics trick for when a nut rounded off.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 07:40:01 PM »
Used that method many times back in the 70's Ken - my old school engineer dad taught me!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline murdock

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 08:31:14 PM »
cortalo al medio con cuidado para no tocar la caja con una amoladora o una dremel . luego con la stiltson saldra facil

cut it in the middle with a grinder or a dremel. then with the stiltson it will come out easy.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 09:47:19 AM »
+ the above, I remove my 400/4 seized one using a die grinder cutter to remove the head and "groove" it internally, then collapsed it in and off the thread, luckily, I had a tap that cleared the threads afterwards
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 10:20:42 AM »
You should never try to remove these with a impact driver as, these are thin alloy and can crack. I must of removed thousands of these over the years. The early 750 had a 17mm head which was easy to remove then, Honda changed them to a 14mm head making, them more difficult to get a grip on.
Heat the around the cap to 250 degrees to soften the o'ring  and break the seal and use a metrinch socket which grips the flats ;) 

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 10:57:28 AM »
You should never try to remove these with a impact driver as, these are thin alloy and can crack. I must of removed thousands of these over the years. The early 750 had a 17mm head which was easy to remove then, Honda changed them to a 14mm head making, them more difficult to get a grip on.
Heat the around the cap to 250 degrees to soften the o'ring  and break the seal and use a metrinch socket which grips the flats ;)

Agree with this,  trying to conserve the original method of turning anything is primary in getting them undone for many design.

Going straight to cutting or damaging as a strategy is often limited in my view. From a engineering workshop perspective in trying to recover broken, damaged, or otherwise impaired fixings, it's often not without compromise. The right decision first will help keep you away from some limitations in practical engineering solutions and avoid needing replacement ultimately.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 07:07:17 PM »
Not forgetting that any form of turning a seized gallery cap will cause further damage if it is the threads that are seized and not the o-ring surfaces
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 08:28:47 PM »
Not forgetting that any form of turning a seized gallery cap will cause further damage if it is the threads that are seized and not the o-ring surfaces

That's unusual as the design on most I can think of have the threads inside the oil gallery (the internal side of o-ring) with the ring sealing those from atmosphere and contamination. Clever those Japanese  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal