Author Topic: Parts washer fluid, what does everyone use?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Parts washer fluid, what does everyone use?
« on: February 15, 2022, 03:07:09 PM »
Having just replaced the spent fluid in my parts washer and cleaned out the inch or so of sludge,. I need to replace the fluid, I'd prefer not to use paraffin, but the options when googling degreasers are various as are the comments.
So what's the general consensus of what's best to use.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Parts washer fluid, what does everyone use?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 03:22:44 PM »
We used Safety Kleen in the parts washer at Queens Park Motors
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 05:42:37 PM »
I've been using Bilt Hamber 'Surfex HD' in my parts washer for a couple of years now and really pleased with it.  No, it's not as good as true solvent cleaners as it's more like a strong soap solution.  It comes in 5 litre containers and is diluted with water - strength dependent on how filthy the bits are but it works right down to well beyond 20:1.  It doesn't 'float' the dirt off - you still need to brush it away.  When I've got my hands mucky on any job I even clean them with it and have no cracked/split skin like I used to get with solvents.  I also use it in the ultrasonic bath with good results.
Speak to Bilt Hamber to discuss your requirements,
Ian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »
Safety kleen fluid is just a water base cleaner these days and is crap, like most water base parts wash cleaner (environmental friendly ) . The main problem with any water based cleaner is you would have to dilute it with de-ionised water or rust will occur.
The stuff i use for year is like the old safety kleen fluid but is about £90 for 20ltrs and my machine has a 30ltr tank.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 07:35:42 PM »
JIZER is absolutely brilliant as a degreaser and comes in gallon tubs, been using it for years.......... although not as good as it used to be butvits the same no matter what you buy really.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 11:34:49 PM »
We used Safety Kleen in the parts washer at Queens Park Motors

In Salford back in the 70s Ken? honestly they had the most amazing deals on new bikes back then did you work there?

By far the most amazing parts washer I have ever come across is this stuff -  https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668 cheap and just cuts through the crud like a knife through butter, dont use anything else for normal parts washing.

For Ultrasonic stuff I use various cleaners from Allendale Ultrasonics - https://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co.uk/detergents-and-fluids

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 01:13:45 AM »
Yeah the big old mill like building. We were stuck down underground, suppose you could call it a basement, I started there late 70s iirc, was there around 6 years I think, then did a spell at Claremont motorcycles in Ashton-under-Lyne, main Yamaha dealer. After that went working for a small back street workshop until I decided to call it a day. Got sick of having dirt ingrained into my skin.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 11:07:01 AM »
Agree with heli-madken on the Screwfix stuff - used it for a while now and seems to do a pretty good job and isn't too unpleasant either.
When I bought the cleaner from Machine Mart I also bought their degreaser which was pretty useless, foamed badly and formed a thick smelly layer of scum on the surface so that didn't go too well!

For the ultrasonic, I've bought fluid from a company called Mistral (mistralie.co.uk) - I think when I first looked some years ago it seemed to be the same stuff Allendale were selling.
They also did (maybe still do) a solvent degreaser which was really good and aggressive.

Cheers,
Andy

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 11:08:41 AM »
Queens Park were amazing with their prices on new bikes. I remember being pig sick that I could have got my GL1000 for a good deal less than I paid for it from Rogersons in Orrel.

My mate bought a CJ250T from them again considerably cheaper but as far as I am concerned a horrible bike. At one point we made the journey there every couple of weeks on a Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal