Author Topic: More bits and bobs done  (Read 954 times)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
More bits and bobs done
« on: February 19, 2022, 08:26:39 PM »
Hi all

At last finished my front fork upgrade

Fitted some linear Race Tec spring with modified damper rods (lower holes opened up to 6mm and extra holes added) that now are fitted with Race Tec gold valve emulators

Lastly replaced the fork top caps with some adjustable preload units

Well please with the result and looking forward to doing some final fine tuning of both the suspension set up front and back once spring is here

Lastly due to the above changes I am left over with two almost brand new fork caps

As these are now surplus to requirements and will just collect dust. If anybody is looking for a pair to replace the original ones looking to move on for £18 posted

Catch up soon and enjoy the rest of the windy weekend

Best wishes always Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: More bits and bobs done
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 09:06:29 PM »
How hard was it to fit the Race Tec gold valve emulators Alan - have a set for the 750 on watch but npt committed to buy as unsure how practical it is to fit them with home workshop facilities?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
More bits and bobs done
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 09:43:28 PM »
Hi Phil

Not too bad to do and did the change over in about 3 hours.

So that I had everything beforehand I bought an extra pair of damper rods and did the damper rod mods at work prior to the change itself which is easy (open up the two original damper rod holes to 6mm and added four more) As these holes now just allow unrestricted oil flow during fork leg compression, as the emulators now are responsible for the damping rather than these holes.

(Note there is no need to “seal” the small top damper rod bleed hole near the top of the damper rod head as part of the install)

And for the final “initial” set up  it was easy too as if you contact Race Tec, as they have years of experience they will supply the full set up details for setting up your bike (known as a DVS) such as which emulator spring you need to use (as there are three types) and what the preload for this should be for this spring. Also their set up information also states how many holes you need in the emulator valve plate ( in my case 3) and finally what weight of oil you should be using and the required air gap (C) shown below when the forks are fully compressed,

Which was interesting, as for my final air gap of 130mm, (as per the Race Tec set up information), each leg has about 250cc of oil in verses the Haynes manual that says 165cc. But this air gap is important as it adds to the overall loading when the leg is compressed as this air gap is also compressed by the fork oil and acts like an air spring, so a smaller air gap will tend to “stiffen up”  the fork legs over a shorter distance  as they are compressed.

Plus if you are using Race Tec springs (which I bought to match my weight which have a slightly higher spring rate than standard and are linear type rather than progressive type) they will also give you the correct fork spring preload for initial set ups etc

So in answer to you question, if you do get your emulators the initial set up is easy, and if you need any other setup info, contact Race Tec direct as they are only too happy to advise and help you with any questions.

This was my DVS custom set up sheet emailed to me by Mike at Race Tec, when I enquired on how to do an initial set up for a CB400F with a rider weight of 80kg. As after getting Race Tec springs and emulators with all the extra preload springs and extra valve plates etc. I understood what to do, but needed to know the correct parts to select, and what adjustments were required to do a initial set up for a CB400F with a rider weight of 80kg

Hope the above is of help

Best wishes always Al

« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 10:39:28 PM by allankelly1 »

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 11:23:11 PM »
Thanks Alan - I'll have a go after I sort my race alternator/electric start conversion
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 11:11:35 AM »
Hi Al,
I am interested in the top nuts if still available.

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 11:16:55 AM »
Hi Al,
I am interested in the top nuts if still available.
PM sent

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 09:19:29 AM »
It'll be interesting to hear your view on this setup when you've tried it Allan.

They are effectively using the air gap as a bottom out "resistance" from the description and schematic as the air chamber decreases in size the spring rate goes up exponentially.  Taking advantage of that in giving a more targeted linear spring for most of the stroke in general road use (more accurate response for specified weights) and not allowing it to crash through it's travel if the fork goes fast toward full compression.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 11:11:00 AM »
Top nuts received, thanks Al.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal