Author Topic: CB550 cafe racers with stock airbox  (Read 2111 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
CB550 cafe racers with stock airbox
« on: February 27, 2022, 08:59:12 PM »
Hey all

In my ongoing research about this bike, I quickly realised that everybody puts pods on, so they can take out the airbox. And that every build of this bike sort of look like the next one.

I have yet to find any builds that keep the stock airbox. Maybe some members here have a cool bike, or a pic of one they could showcase? Looking for inspiration here :)

- Alex

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 cafe racers with stock airbox
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 11:49:27 PM »
I fully intend to retain the airbox on mine.

Basically...my view is that I am retaining the side panels....so there is no real difference in look of having an airbox. If you plan opn having basically nothing but fresh air under the seat rails, with relocated battery etc. then an airbox is not going to look pretty.

As my project is a 750, I have an oil tank already there.

CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 12:00:18 AM »
There is pictures of two flat tracker 550's with standard air boxes half way down this page >>http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,24825.75.html

If you want to spend days trying to get your bike to run and spend £££ on jets for the carbs, work out why your pistons are burnt out and then still scratching your head why you have a flat spot. Then fit pods.

If you want a riders bike that starts easy, pulls well all the way through the rev range. Stick with a air box  ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 07:39:19 AM by Trigger »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 07:34:28 AM »
I didn't think of it much, but you're right in that clearing that space in the centre obsessively appears to bring uniformity into something that's started out trying to be different.

This one, different for obvious reasons as much of the components are altered, but I like the effect of the tank (750F1) has on the style

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

It seems more in keeping with original cafè racer culture in lengthening the tank (traditionally a race type alloy item) that puts the rider further rearwards and makes the seat position more of that style with reset foot controls etc.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »
There is pictures of two flat tracker 550's with standard air boxes half way down this page >>http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,24825.75.html

If you want to spend days trying to get your bike to run and spend £££ on jets for the carbs, work out why your pistons are burnt out and then still scratching your head why you have a flat spot. Then fit pods.

If you want a riders bike that starts easy, pulls well all the way through the rev range. Stick with a air box  ;)

That's exactly it. I just want to keep the stock airbox. And if possible, not cut into the frame around the seating area. I'd like to use the stock seat pan and seat, and just shave it a little in size and get some nice leather on there. But I can't visualise it completely, and nobody seems to have done it. Or taken pictures of it at least.

I could of course be the first :) But gonna start in photoshop first :)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 05:41:06 PM »
I wanted a stock air box and have bought side panels but the osh required trying to get all the bits second hand was cost prohibitive. I've still spent £150 on a filter set up but if I could find all of a 'used one' for sensible money I'd much rather have one. There was very little of anything on the bike and had already been robbed of the good bits before I got it so never even seen one complete!.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Charlie J

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 08:48:47 PM »

That's exactly it. I just want to keep the stock airbox. And if possible, not cut into the frame around the seating area. I'd like to use the stock seat pan and seat, and just shave it a little in size and get some nice leather on there. But I can't visualise it completely, and nobody seems to have done it. Or taken pictures of it at least.

I could of course be the first :) But gonna start in photoshop first :)

I don’t know if this helps, but here are a couple of photos of my bike with the stock seat that has been shaved down and re-covered. The frame has not been cut and the airbox is retained.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 12:44:28 AM »
I modded my 400f by altering the seatpan, adding a foam hump and getting it recovered. Standard airbox and no cutting of the frame. Standard seat lock and hinges retained.

Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 12:23:49 AM »
Here's my 74' CB550 K with the stock airbox.
The Rust Brothers Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB550 K0
1975 Honda CB400F Super Sport
1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport
1980 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB1100F
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
2006 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 06:11:48 AM »
Thank you all for this. Please keep them coming if you got some nice images!

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 07:27:57 AM »

Looking at this again - you don't have any rear fenders on. Only drive in the sunshine, or is there a hidden one somewhere?

Looking to clean up the look of my bike (smaller fenders, smaller signal lights etc.) but not trying to do cafe racers. More of a streamlined look, but still planning to take longer trips on mine. So spending a lot of time finding that perfect middle spot where it gets a little personalised flavour, but still works for more purposes then flashing it around town.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 07:47:14 AM »
Yep, only ride in dry weather on the flat trackers in the pictures. If you are out and it starts to rain , you will end up with a wet arse but, the car behind will stay well away from your rear end . Can not find joy in wet riding anymore  ;)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 08:44:48 PM »
Yep, only ride in dry weather on the flat trackers in the pictures. If you are out and it starts to rain , you will end up with a wet arse but, the car behind will stay well away from your rear end . Can not find joy in wet riding anymore  ;)

The head light mount you are using is not factory, are they? Did you buy them or make them yourself? And may I ask what you did with the tail light? I am keeping the original blinkers myself, but need another tail light. I noticed you mounted the back signal lights directly on the frame, with no soft material in-between the frame and the signal light. Could that not pose a problem potentially?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 10:58:27 PM »
The sliver 550 has stock head light brackets and no Indicators / blinkers with a tail light on a side mounted bracket/

The black one has after market head light brackets , indicators mounted direct to the frame but, they are Stanley OEM indicators which have rubber mounted bulbs inside and also has a side mounted tail light.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 11:02:40 PM »
This is my bike, the black one Trig is referring to.
It's a fantastic bike, rides like a dream, handles superbly and is ultra reliable.

LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal