Author Topic: DS cheaper fuse box vs genuine part experience.  (Read 535 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
DS cheaper fuse box vs genuine part experience.
« on: March 03, 2022, 05:51:56 PM »
I'm in the preliminary stages of connecting up my wiring loom - my old fuse box was the worse for corrosion so needed replacing.
I have decided the cost of converting to blade fuses was more than I wanted to spend so bought the DS patern part as it was a lot cheaper than the genuine one.

Initially my side lights all worked fine then they decided to only work when the ignition was in P position.
After a bit of testing I found that the fuse for the tail lights was not live when sidelights only selected.

I removed the fuse box to access the rear of the connections to find one wire was no longer attached to the fuse clip.
Duly repaired and lights now working - not worth the effort of sending it back for the sake of a blob of solder.

It's cheaper for a reason or I was just unlucky.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 06:00:22 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: DS cheaper fuse box vs genuine part experience.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 04:16:46 PM »
Pattern parts are always a bit of a lottery. In any batch there's usually a range from good to bad and they are all supposed to be the same. You probably just got unlucky. I usually check everything on a pattern part before installation as I have had some unfinished parts that have slipped through the net before now. Went to lunch with a part unfinished then came back and just stuck it in a bag, or rushed the soldering trying to make the hourly quota. You know the scenario's. Genuine parts are always good as Honda carry out inspections so they have to keep the quality up.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: DS cheaper fuse box vs genuine part experience.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 05:47:42 PM »
Likewise I have found pattern or not original parts to be fine. But maybe I have been lucky.  I bought a new, not original, fuse box for my army bike....... but then just about anything will have done.  These old jap bikes can be a bit picky.   I always thought a DS pattern part should be a good replacement.... maybe I have too much faith.
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal