Author Topic: How can I tidy headlight area Spaghetti Junction ?  (Read 669 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
How can I tidy headlight area Spaghetti Junction ?
« on: March 05, 2022, 12:28:05 AM »
I feel this subject has been asked before but can't find it.

My wiring connections in/at/behind the headlamp will need some sort of tidying up as I clearly can't just cram the headlight into position & hope for the best. There are no wiring sheathes like on other parts of the loom just the main loom wires, the small looms from the Instuments & the Instrument panel plus the clutch neutral switch.

Ideally the back of the headlamp bowl would be elongated to easily accept all the wires or there would be a neat rubber sphere where they would all fit. At the moment my only thought is cut some rubber from a wheelbarrow inner tube or similar arrangement.

What do folk her do to hide and/or protect the wiring at the back of the headlamp?

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: How can I tidy headlight area Spaghetti Junction ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 01:52:26 AM »
Had to do this thousands of times Ted when building a bike up from a crate and then again when doing the PDI. The best you can do is to make a sort of bowl with the wiring around the outside of the shell, then try and fit the headlight in when you've done that. Sometimes there are clips inside the bowl to hold wires out of the way but those didn't really start appearing till the middle 80s IIRC.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 07:42:02 PM »
When new the wiring in the headlamp is in a ring shape around the bowl, this way the lens and bulb holder just go in the hole.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »
Thanks for the fitting tips everyone.

The headlamp is now fitted with no issues after I did a more even circular spread of the wires using some sticky one sided tape to hold them in place.  (The lamp unit came with the black tape strips but I did not know their purpose!)

Not as neat looking as a Blackbirds nest but does the job nicely. H4 LED bulb is brilliant - plenty of room for the Twenty/20 bulb - nice dip cut off etc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 02:13:03 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal