Author Topic: Parts list for vapor honing  (Read 1181 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Parts list for vapor honing
« on: March 08, 2022, 02:00:53 PM »
Hey all

Currently collecting parts for vapor honing, and want to get all of it done in one go, so making a list of all the stuff that needs to be vapor honed. If anyone can see anything missing, could they please chime in? I will update the list then, and maybe it can be of use to somebody else in the future as well :)

Everything engine
Crank cases + oil caps and plugs for crank cases
Bolts for crank cases
Bolts + spacers for engine to frame
Oil pan
Oil filter
Left crank case cover (polished afterwards)
Right crank case cover + oil cap (polished afterwards)
Alternator cover (polished afterwards)
Cylinder
Cylinder head
Manifolds
Cylinder head cover
Cylinder head side covers
Caps for tappet holes
Breather cover
Carburator bodies + top set and float bowls
Exhaust collars
Exhaust pipe joints
Pistons (for carbon clean up)
Valves (for carbon clean up)

Everything else
Front forks (polished afterwards)
Front and rear hubs (polished afterwards)
Front brake holder (polished afterwards)
Front brake bolts

Now, I left off anything chromed (top and bottom of carbs, fenders, exhaust etc.) and anything that should be sandblasted (frame, swingarm, lower and upper triple tree and other smaller steel items), so keeping this to items that should be vapor honed, but would like to make that list rather complete.

I have added comments on the parts that I usually see polished. Please let me know if they are incorrect. I have also added valves and pistons for carbon clean up, as I read somewhere that is a good method. If not, let me know, and I will take them off the list.

Any adds?

- Alex
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:30:37 PM by alexdecker »

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Parts list for vapor honing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 02:37:21 PM »
The clutch, brake and kickstarter pedals are all chromed as standard, yet you said you weren't doing anything chromed?
Points cover is also chromed.

Top and bottom of carbs are not chromed as standard.

Don't do the oil pump, you can't see it when fitted so why take the risk of anything getting left in there.

They'll be some who say don't do the cylinder head or the carbs, I've bead blasted both of these on numerous occasions and never had a problem. So long as you clean them well beforehand and afterwards they are ok. However it's your choice.

Bead blasted hundreds of pistons, they do come up great.

I'd add the exhaust collets to the list.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »
The clutch, brake and kickstarter pedals are all chromed as standard, yet you said you weren't doing anything chromed?
Points cover is also chromed.

Top and bottom of carbs are not chromed as standard.

Don't do the oil pump, you can't see it when fitted so why take the risk of anything getting left in there.

They'll be some who say don't do the cylinder head or the carbs, I've bead blasted both of these on numerous occasions and never had a problem. So long as you clean them well beforehand and afterwards they are ok. However it's your choice.

Bead blasted hundreds of pistons, they do come up great.

I'd add the exhaust collets to the list.

Ah, just saw someone had done them, and my own is so dirty that no chrome showed up :( I have updated the list, removed the pedals and points cover and added the complete carburettor and both exhaust collar and pipe joints (not sure of these are chromed as standard?). Also removed the oil pump.

Is the top and float bowl of a carb painted same color as engine then?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:39:20 PM by alexdecker »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 03:52:02 PM »
The carbs are not painted at all but left as natural casting.
Whoever you choose to undertake the vapour blasting make sure they are used to blasting motorcycle engines, they use purpose made bungs to seal any oilways, and they pressure clean the castings afterwards. When you get the parts home make sure you clean them and clean them and clean them again paying particular attention to the oil galleries. I use hot soapy water followed by an air line.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »
Top and bottom of the carbs are done the same colour as the casings, lacquered alloy.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 07:41:14 PM »
I can't stress too much (I can't cos I have a hernia LOL) the importance of using a Company who are used to working with old bikes and cars as they KNOW what they are doing and will take good care of the things that matter.

Just picking a local Company out of the blue is always asking for trouble, so always seek recommendations from other Members of the Forum.

The Royal Observer Corps had a Motto which is very appropriate today 'Forewarned is forearmed' !
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »
Wow. That little stash is going to cost a fortune to have vapour blasted. At least it will if the blaster your using is as expensive as mine.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 01:38:12 PM »
I can't stress too much (I can't cos I have a hernia LOL) the importance of using a Company who are used to working with old bikes and cars as they KNOW what they are doing and will take good care of the things that matter.

Just picking a local Company out of the blue is always asking for trouble, so always seek recommendations from other Members of the Forum.

The Royal Observer Corps had a Motto which is very appropriate today 'Forewarned is forearmed' !

I will give it all a thorough cleaning with a high pressure washer several times!

Offline oldboy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 05:36:14 PM »
Just had my c/cases, head, barrel, carbs done. My only bit of advice is pressure wash the parts after blasting, then clean,clean and clean again. The shit gets everywhere and it won't take much to wreck an engine. But it does look good when finished, even unpainted.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 08:58:15 AM »
Then dry for a few days in the airing cupboard or for a couple of hours at 90degC in the oven and blow out all passages with a high pressure airline. Avoid the dishwasher as it will ruin the finish.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 09:37:48 AM »
Then dry for a few days in the airing cupboard or for a couple of hours at 90degC in the oven and blow out all passages with a high pressure airline. Avoid the dishwasher as it will ruin the finish.

Very true👍. And we all know the dishwasher is only used to clean wiring looms to look like new (when the wife is out of course 😁). Thanks to Bryan for that gem of a tip.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 12:19:12 PM »
Yep, did my loom in the DW and it came up like new.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 04:41:13 AM »
I want to know more wrt dishwasher and the loom….

OBVIOUSLY the missus has to be out, but beyond this standard tablets, heavy duty cycle, evacuating water from the sheathings, concerns at the bullet connections?
So many questions - am I overthinking it all?

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 10:03:30 AM »
I put my loom in at 50c and let the machine do the rest. The heat at the end of the wash cycle dried the loom and connectors off nicely. I did wrap cling film around the original makers label of the loom to protect it.
Once I took the loom out I used a dishwasher cleaner from Lidl to clean it on a short cycle and before the wife returned home. It was just a shame I had forgotten to take the repainted brake caliper out of the oven before she opened the door😬
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal