Author Topic: Spark plug threads  (Read 1374 times)

oldchuffer

Spark plug threads
« on: March 12, 2022, 12:51:18 PM »
I've got two problems with spark plug holes on my restoration:

1. One plug will screw to the bottom but continues to turn so i guess the threads are shot.

2. One plug will screw in about 3 turns and then gets so stiff that i guess its cross threaded.

Whats the best plan of action for both of the above?  The head is off the bike.

Many thanks.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Spark plug threads
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 03:20:25 PM »
Ordinarily if the threads are definitely gone and past any reasonable tolerance (the spinning one) then an insert which is screwed and bonded in will give a competent long lasting fix.

The one that's crossed, potentially,  can you put a plug socket on it and then put a long extension bar on that ? As you turn it outwards from it's position can you see the extension end move in enlarged circle (indicating off centre) if so, you can wind it out until it's at thread end (it clicks as threads finish) then see if you can pick up on the original thread start point by aligning the extension bar concentric to the hole. It can then pickup the correct thread line and go in straight if you can.

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 03:36:15 PM »
For the cross threaded I was going to suggest a thread chaser but 12mm ones seem to be hard to come by now - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164760112423?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338781099&toolid=20006&customid=V2CztEsOAAAAOh7WwmrIZc80laQGAAAAAA&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1MBULEJRJRvCLVqGG0nx-Iw47

The beauty of them is that they work in reverse using the good threads further into the hole and chasing them back outwards. A little grease on the chaser stops any bits falling into the cylinder but there generally isnt that much swarf

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 03:53:41 PM »
Some months ago i did 4 inserts on a 350/400 for a member and had to buy 4 kits to do it plus a correct drill. Helicoils can unscrew after fitting and be impossible to redo. The kits were about £10 each from memory

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 10:31:07 PM »
Personally I would take the cylinder head to a good engineering firm & ask them to sort it out - might be the tight thread is a case of carbon deposits caused by a loose plug and it can be cleaned out - the one that just turns sounds as though it needs an insert. Worst case is it might need two inserts. Ask them to check the remaining two cylinders. Last option look for a replacement cylinder head Nurse Julie has them up for sale sometimes.

Not sure if you can find one where you live or in North Wales but maybe worth asking Trigger if he can sort it sending the head by courier service.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

oldchuffer

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 07:45:37 PM »
Thanks for all the advice - i will get a thread chaser and a time seal kit and have a go. I'll post the results when i can.

oldchuffer

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 04:46:15 PM »
Update: I bought a 12mm thread chaser and luckily it fixed the cross threaded hole. I bought a timesert for the other problem but it wasnt clear which drill bit i would need. Eventually i discovered it needs a 12.3mm bit which i have now ordered (and checked it will fit in pillar drill). Fingers crossed.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 05:02:39 PM »
If you have the head off, put inserts in all four. It is a pig if you put the head back on and find another weak thread has given up next year  ;)

oldchuffer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 08:52:16 PM »
Thanks Trigger, will do.

oldchuffer

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 09:00:29 PM »
I assume i need to put thread locker on the outside of the timesert, which one would you recommend?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »
You need a high temp retainer. Something like loctite 638 10ml.. Can be had on ebay cheap because it is out date but, it doesn't go off until under pressure. I still use thread lock and retainer that i have had in liter bottles since the 90's

oldchuffer

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice, will get some sorted.

oldchuffer

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 08:31:13 PM »
Update: For the stripped thread i used a time-sert, (using a 12.3mm bit). I also used Loctite 638 on the outside of the time-sert. And it worked a treat. Thanks so much everyone for the advice, and thanks Trigger for the tip about 638.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 08:30:08 PM »
Update: For the stripped thread i used a time-sert, (using a 12.3mm bit). I also used Loctite 638 on the outside of the time-sert. And it worked a treat. Thanks so much everyone for the advice, and thanks Trigger for the tip about 638.

I would replace the plug washers if you re-use the plugs - it should minimise any chance however remote of the insert coming out attached to the plug.

Maybe these inserts have improved over the decades and you will be okay, I did a service on a friends Carlton  and a Helicoil came out with the plug!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 03:28:22 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

oldchuffer

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 08:38:11 PM »
Yes i have new plugs Ted. I'm happy everything looks ok but of course I'll have to wait til i start it to see for sure. The head is back on now and the camshaft in.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal