Author Topic: What do we see here?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
What do we see here?
« on: March 14, 2022, 07:26:51 AM »
A mini quiz of just two questions. What do we see here?

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: What do we see here?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 07:30:47 AM »
Go on then…punch line?

Looks like a 500 shock mounting….

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 08:00:38 AM »
A top rear shock mounting with a lock in it somehow

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 08:05:17 AM »
A top rear shock mounting with a lock in it somehow
Correct. It's the stud RH side. BTW, what looks like a lock, does not play a role. It's merely the camera in combination with the flash which exaggerates it. But now to the second question. What do we see here?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 08:50:52 AM »
Same mounting when the threaded bit has been broken off then drilled and taped to take a bolt instead

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 09:33:02 AM »
Same mounting when the threaded bit has been broken off then drilled and taped to take a bolt instead

And drilled off-centre  :D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 09:43:28 AM »
Obviously did not file flat and centre punch before drilling, personaly would screw in a piece of studding and use original chromed acorn nut, if different thread make a double ended stud

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 12:03:29 PM »
You guys are experts. Here's a little background. June 1980 I had past my licence test without having had even one lesson. Back then this was legal. Not now anymore, thank goodness. No wonder I've learned a few things the hard way in my riding career. The first event was not a real accident but a narrow escape. Exiting a motorway and at 90 km/h leaning in one of these gentle curves, I learned that it is not a good idea to pull the front brake...
Only a month later I had an accident on a minor semi-dirt mountain road in Greece. Another curve and leaning, no braking this time but grit. I survived and in a hospital they have spent an hour plucking the grit from my chin. Could have been much worse though, as I, as well as my lady on her CB350F, were dressed in thin cotton summer pants and - the horror - Greek sandals. Can you believe it? Anyway I went down. The leather bag must have absorbed most of the impact; the bike was saved but for a bent or snapped stud, the threaded part. For repair a schoolboy had directed us to a blacksmith, with in his yard an old tractor, at least some sign of technical civilisation. I had forgotten about this, until yesterday, when I replaced the luggage carrier for the new BUMPER, REAR (Hondaspeak), which makes the bike look so much better.
I can't remember what the man exactly has done, but he must have known what he was doing. He has probably cut the bent threaded part of the stud and has taped a new thread. Simple and effective. He refused payment but insisted on us sharing a glass of Retsina with him.
Off centre, hm, I dunno, I'll make another pic from the right angle. Would it matter much if it was off-centre?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 01:21:44 PM »
Nope, all the nut does is stop the shocker falling off, its the big tround plain bit that locates it

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 03:19:06 PM »
Thanks Bryan. Now that we are on the subject. How crucial are the original 10X32 bolts (PN: 93000-10032-0A) at the bottom of the shocks. They are for a part - don't know the word - 'shouldered'? Is that 'shoulder' very important? If so, I must order them, 'cause the hardware store doesn't have them. As you probably know the clovis of each shock has thread in only one hole and I've noticed I must have damaged the one of the RH shock long time ago, as I have fit a somewhat longer bolt there, to have a nut on the outside of the clovis to fasten things.
How about the rubber bushes (PN: 40548-268-000)? I can imagine you renew them if you are to powdercoat the frame (I won't), what should one look for, to detect wear?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 05:41:27 PM »
OK, those bolts are an odd thread so you may have to order one for the undamaged one. They dont have nuts as there is limited space on the inside but if all clears no problem.
I have had swing arms powder coated with those bushes left in and they survived, others havent BUT they are a swine to change as they are a tight fit in the hole, wear, if any, is obvious play

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 05:50:06 PM »
The rubber bushes that the shocks locate onto can perish, check the rubber for signs of cracking etc. If spotted, change. TBH after so many years I'd advise changing them anyway, the rubber can go hard over time.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 07:21:10 PM »
- 'shouldered'? Is that 'shoulder' very important? If so, I must order them, 'cause the hardware store doesn't have them.
Do you mean that it is not full thread. Don't know the exactly "how" important.
A bit of info here.
https://www.fmwfasteners.com/blogs/blog/full-thread-vs-partial-thread-screws
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 08:40:00 PM »
Thought the bottom fix bolts are shouldered to prevent the shock "legs"  from pinching together? 

Usually something like this tightens on the fixed end of the thread to prevent it backing out,  but leaves the legs and pivot effectively floating so that it doesn't bind in the bush core.

It's a double shear joint to distribute load evenly across the design. 

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 10:56:46 PM »
Never realised they have a special thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal