SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

Balancer chain

<< < (4/5) > >>

Oddjob:
Bloody long chain for a balance chain if it's 104 Dave. I expected it to be about 45 or something

Oddjob:
It appears to be 72 links long BUT the problem is that according to a pic I've seen on Ebay the chain is a 270H chain, which is a different pitch to a 219H chain. Check the chain again Mark, it's vital you get the right one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402411753209?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAAoJMVUu%2Bn23IMof9MEOakDg7EF6573JrlJsD7EdovPEIi5zEmaUMNN97vRjO06fdmmKvc5IHlWZTiQuXz1gnR95yWROEMPjAhhmp4msKlTDVvlt3K8bv%2BfQOSA9u1xLSTM27jULWjWoqGx2LTmGhw6sTP5BUE8d0ZyLfYDl%2F228mk52ztQgK6ZN%2FOv624ACdwgutgpX7wQZo%2BfAtWkF0KfvE%3D

Laverda Dave:
I have just checked my old original chain, its 72 links.Chain is marked as 219TS. I sent my old chain to Andy the Chainman and he matched it up with a DID 219HTM racing go-kart chain and joined it up for me.
The timing marks are set at O, 18 & 26 links.

Be careful of buying internal engine chains from ebay, I bought a cam chain for the same bike and I could see it was the wrong one as soon as I took it out of the box! Same with the carb rebuild kit bought from M&P. Also the magnetic sump plug bought from M&P, it was the wrong pitch and would have stripped the sump thread!

Laverda Dave:
As an aside and whilst talking balance chains and ebay...... I have just seen a well known seller has listed a used balance chain. Who in their right mind would remove an engine and strip it down, split the crankcases and install a used chain of unknown mileage and history! My engine had a genuine 15k on it from new (I am the second owner having owned it for 21 years) and the balance chain had a 20mm bow in it when I stripped it and I looked after my bike, most of these bikes got thrashed by learners who never undertook any maintenance :o

Oggers:
Gents

Counted the chain 3 times and the photo in the manual - I get 72 links

The chain I have bought is as per the pic attached - a DID 219 HTM - 108 links

Timing marks are at 0, 9 and 27th link - though obviously I can mark those up!

When I receive the chain, for sure I will check it against the old one.

Oddjob - Very happy for you to buy the rivet and assemble. Chat later no doubt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version