Author Topic: CB550k1 US Import - UK registration  (Read 33845 times)

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CB550k1 US Import - UK registration
« Reply #315 on: December 21, 2022, 10:07:36 AM »
Hey all, has anyone found or used replacement spark advancer springs?

Not sure what the spring rate is supposed to be but mine are not returning the little arms very fast. It's almost a damped return, and one of them was definitely slower than the other. I twisted the spring a bit and it looks to return at the same rate as the other, but it now doesn't look very straight.

Is it supposed to be a "snappy" return? Or maybe the grease I've used is to thick?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 21, 2022, 10:18:56 AM »
They can hang a it if lubrication is thicker than ideal.

You could use silicone "plumbing" supplied grease as it will be OK at both extremes of temperature range on the spindle.

Check live timing once running with a strobe to see if it settles down to minimum ok.

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 21, 2022, 02:32:24 PM »
They can hang a it if lubrication is thicker than ideal.

You could use silicone "plumbing" supplied grease as it will be OK at both extremes of temperature range on the spindle.

Check live timing once running with a strobe to see if it settles down to minimum ok.

Yeah good shout. Its relatively easy to pull out if thngs arent working as they should. Got a long way to go before I check live timing though!

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 22, 2022, 02:47:13 PM »
Hey all, picked up a set of Vesrah gaskets for my engine rebuild.

Can I just confirm that I don't need to use Hondabond in this situation?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 22, 2022, 02:51:54 PM »

Hondabond is only used for sticking top and bottom crank cases together as they are machined surfaces and use no gasket. Only the lightest, lightest smear of Hondabond is needed though. All gaskets are fitted dry or with a very light smear of grease (ie, clutch casing, sump pan etc etc) we fit them dry though. No grease on head gasket though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 02:54:01 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 22, 2022, 03:15:24 PM »

Hondabond is only used for sticking top and bottom crank cases together as they are machined surfaces and use no gasket. Only the lightest, lightest smear of Hondabond is needed though. All gaskets are fitted dry or with a very light smear of grease (ie, clutch casing, sump pan etc etc) we fit them dry though. No grease on head gasket though.

Thanks Julie. One more thing, I purchased Hondabond HT, is this OK? Or should I be using Hondabond 4?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 22, 2022, 03:18:38 PM »

Thanks Julie. One more thing, I purchased Hondabond HT, is this OK? Or should I be using Hondabond 4?
Either is fine to use.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 23, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »
Having split my 400 crank case 3 times I became more skilled at applying a nice thin layer of Hondabond each time.
Following advice from Julie the secret appears to be - don't squeeze  it onto the crankcase directly out of the tube - obviously apply to the inverted upper case only
I wore surgical type gloves - applied a small amount less than half an inch directly onto my fore finger then spread it onto the crankcase starting at one end repeating once the finger full had spread as far as it could. Repeat until all applied. I actually put the Hondabond on my left  finger then dipped my right fore finger and spread it nice and thinly.I then removed any excess that had spilled over the inside edges. It spreads so thin I found using this method. Sorry if I'm being over descriptive & stating the obvious.

Then assembled making sure I bolted up in correct sequence as per manual keeping my eye on the primary drive assembly etc.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 12:09:51 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 23, 2022, 02:18:35 PM »
Having split my 400 crank case 3 times I became more skilled at applying a nice thin layer of Hondabond each time.
Following advice from Julie the secret appears to be - don't squeeze  it onto the crankcase directly out of the tube - obviously apply to the inverted upper case only
I wore surgical type gloves - applied a small amount less than half an inch directly onto my fore finger then spread it onto the crankcase starting at one end repeating once the finger full had spread as far as it could. Repeat until all applied. I actually put the Hondabond on my left  finger then dipped my right fore finger and spread it nice and thinly.I then removed any excess that had spilled over the inside edges. It spreads so thin I found using this method. Sorry if I'm being over descriptive & stating the obvious.

Then assembled making sure I bolted up in correct sequence as per manual keeping my eye on the primary drive assembly etc.

After perfecting this method Ted found that he was quite proficient at doing Prostate exams and now works for the NHS as a freelance poker.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 23, 2022, 02:25:14 PM »
It's all great advice Ted. Id much rather be told how to do something 10times rather than not know and muck it up.

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 23, 2022, 02:27:41 PM »
I've lost the thrust washer that sits on the outside of the kickstarter shaft - any idea what thickness this one is supposed to be? It's listed as an 18mm Koyo washer.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 23, 2022, 02:36:59 PM »
It's 1mm thick, check the clutch case as they sometimes stick to the inside of the case.

Online Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 23, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »

After perfecting this method Ted found that he was quite proficient at doing Prostate exams and now works for the NHS as a freelance poker.

;D ;D ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 23, 2022, 04:32:27 PM »
It's 1mm thick, check the clutch case as they sometimes stick to the inside of the case.

Cheers.

I did take a photo when I was stripping down the engine and noted back then it was missing. Didn't notice anything in the case though at the time.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 23, 2022, 06:06:12 PM »
I have a spare if you need one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal