Author Topic: CB550k1 US Import - UK registration  (Read 34023 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB550k1 US Import - UK registration
« Reply #510 on: April 24, 2023, 03:13:34 PM »
Yeah electrics can be daunting - pleased you have sorted it. 8) 8) 8)
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 06, 2023, 05:06:41 PM »
Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a great long weekend so far.

I'm onto the carb tuning now, but was wondering what these two ports are for?

Also, I'm using an aux tank but my carbs overflow. I've taken them apart about 3 times to check the float heights and they're all at around 22+/-1mm. The height is set with the carb asst on its side and they are barely touching the valve.

I'll check that all the passage ways a clear again.

Any other tips?

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 06, 2023, 05:21:31 PM »
There’s two overflow pipes that go on those, they travel down through the bike and vent we’re the 4 other pipes vent from the carb bowls underneath.

Presumably you cleaned the pivot pins that the floats swing on Dave?

Tried tapping the bowls?

Sworn a lot?…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 06, 2023, 05:22:43 PM »
You could use let petrol and don’t have it so high in the aux tank, just reduce the head. Weight so to speak? Might be squeezing it passed the valve???

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 06, 2023, 06:13:49 PM »
You could use let petrol and don’t have it so high in the aux tank, just reduce the head. Weight so to speak? Might be squeezing it passed the valve???

Lots of swearing today Roo!

But yes, great suggestion as I've got a lot head pressure as.the aux tank is really high up.

I'll try it with it closer to where the actual tank is supposed to be

I'll add some hose to those other 2 overflow pipes as well.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 06, 2023, 07:45:41 PM »
Worth a shot Dave

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 06, 2023, 09:35:14 PM »
Those are air vents to allow the float chamber to breathe etc. Also fitted so that if the bike falls on it's side, the petrol vents away from the engine and onto the floor instead of flowing all over the exhaust etc.

They'll make no difference at all to flooding carbs.

Have you changed either the needle float seat or the needle float valve itself? Aftermarket ones are known to cause problems with not seating correctly.  Head shouldn't factor into it, my sons VT1100C uses a fuel pump and normal float valve seat and it stops that from pumping past the seat.

Set the float with the carb top removed and it resting on the top of the carb. That's best but if you don't want to remove the carbs you'll want the tang on the float JUST touching the pin on the float valve without starting to compress it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:45:37 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 06, 2023, 09:41:52 PM »
The pressure that a float can exert on a needle & seat is probably quite low in terms of shutting off the fuel supply. 34 ft of water is around 15 psi. Petrol is lighter than water so imho if you auxiliary tank is a foot above the filler tank you are doubling the normal pressure.  4 psi is typical of car systems using carbs & pumps.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 07, 2023, 03:46:45 PM »
Put the aux tank at the same height as the normal tank, no leaks or overflowing so far! 😀

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 08, 2023, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 12, 2023, 07:05:54 PM »
Oh its fun doing this 😀

Ok, so please don't bash me too much but I'm trying to tune my bike with a 4into1 delkevic system and a steel dragon airbox. Unfortunately I found out too late that best option is to keep the stock airbox, but too late now.

Anyway, bench syncd the carbs using a 3mm drill bit (don't have 1/8"), aftermarket 42 slow and 110 main after reading some threads as a starting point. Kept original needle and emulsion tubes.
Moved the needles from 4th to 2nd from bottom as exhaust was coming out black so too rich?

Also installed a digital ignition system from 4into1.com - will keep the Hondaman system for the next build 😉

Have done static set of the difital ignition, and vac syncd bike using carb#1 as master.

Have tried 1/2 turn to 2 turns on mix screw without much success.

Bike struggles to idle below 1.5krpm. Revs crisply but a bit slow to return idle.

With current settings, bike won't idle below 2krpm when warm and with idle screw fully out.

Any suggestions for next steps?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 13, 2023, 02:19:34 AM »
First off, those carbs aren't set by using any of the carbs as a master. Some are but not those. They should all show the same however.

2nd from bottom makes it richer not leaner, think about it, you lower the clip, which raises the needle in the slide, the higher the needle the more fuel you allow through. Put the clip in slot 3 and start from there.

Try turning the vac screws back out a few turns, each one, it may be that the slides are sitting too high and that's why the bike won't idle, setting the slides lower may cure that. Just make sure all the gauges are the same and alls good. If anything go too low with the slides and set the idle with the idle screw.

Offline juitz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 13, 2023, 03:02:52 PM »
Cheers, Oddjob, suggestions have got me to a semi decent running condition. Bit more to do though but at least it idles at just under 1.5krpm and starts straight away. 👍

I think I may have a problem and hope it's not a major one.

I've been adjusting the clutch position and moved the kickstart lever out of the way. This morning I tried  the kickstart and worked straight away.

But just now after working on the clutch I tried again and heard a little click. Now the kickstart just spins.

Has something come undone / off and do I need to worry and break open the engine?

The lever spring returns the lever but it won't crank.the engine - I can only feel the return spring.

Checked the clutch and it looks to engage/disengage. The rear wheel spins in 1st gear but I can stop it with my foot when I disengage the clutch.The kickstart is supposed to work with the bike in N and clutch engaged.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 05:59:07 PM by juitz »

commando1954

« Reply #523 on: May 25, 2023, 08:47:25 PM »
Check out a guy on youtube called SPANNER RASH. He has a video of the process to register with DVLA.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 26, 2023, 12:10:50 AM »
Cheers, Oddjob, suggestions have got me to a semi decent running condition. Bit more to do though but at least it idles at just under 1.5krpm and starts straight away. 👍

I think I may have a problem and hope it's not a major one.

I've been adjusting the clutch position and moved the kickstart lever out of the way. This morning I tried  the kickstart and worked straight away.

But just now after working on the clutch I tried again and heard a little click. Now the kickstart just spins.

Has something come undone / off and do I need to worry and break open the engine?

The lever spring returns the lever but it won't crank.the engine - I can only feel the return spring.

Checked the clutch and it looks to engage/disengage. The rear wheel spins in 1st gear but I can stop it with my foot when I disengage the clutch.The kickstart is supposed to work with the bike in N and clutch engaged.

Circlip has come off Juitz,l as you suspected when I was telling Ted to make sure to fit a new one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal