Author Topic: Chrome paint on Salvage Hunters Classic Volvo  (Read 1217 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Chrome paint on Salvage Hunters Classic Volvo
« on: April 02, 2022, 05:24:55 PM »
Watched a few Salvage Hunters classic car restorations. It's currently on 'Discovery Plus'. On the Volvo Amazon they took a badly pitted monkey metal chromed boot handle to a guy for chrome painting. Must admit looked pretty nice. They were so impressed they had the bumpers done too.

I think it may have been this company:- http://pinkevolutions.co.uk/projects/chrome

That Drew bloke really annoys me though, dare I say even more than Mike Brewer. He talks to car selling  vendors like they are  a piece of sh*t quite often. Or is it just me? The other bloke seems OK though.

https://www.discoveryuk.com/series/salvage-hunters-classic-cars/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 05:39:15 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Chrome paint on Salvage Hunters Classic Volvo
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 09:23:24 AM »
If i remember that episode correctly. The car hadn't run since Adam was a lad.
So they towed it to a local garage, fitted a new battery. Started right up.
Scripted rubbish.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »
I feel it's quite a good program to watch. They are knowledgeable and sympathetic to these vehicles and show a fair amount of the technical input, especially considering it's aired on fairly mainstream channels (it was over here) and certainly more interesting from a factual point of view than much of the dross available.

Drew Pritchard, yes I can see your view Ash, but given time he's a decent enough character and fairly different from that top line impression, I believe.  Obviously his trade is a dealer, with buying at decent price a key element in his life.

Slightly cringeworthy in some of the discussion in front of the owners, but the editors seem to want that.

It's a core of programming and hyping anything that the dramatists take over, always looking for that competitive rub off like cutting to break just before the decision to buy is made. They really can't help themselves can they. And always the classic (when any machine is involved) of will it start-wont it start "suspense" just fugging formulaic and annoying.

Drew is self deprecating though, and does see and joke about that throughout. He does though show and highly praise individuals offering crafts to restore these vehicles (the same in his antique trade too) he's very enthusiastic about paying decent money for a good job and promoting those individuals.

On balance I think it's a good program, Paul Cowland does bring good skill and extensive knowledge to this also. Much better made than many I think.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 10:36:22 AM »
I have tried that chrome paint some years ago on a CB750 oil tank. It came out very nice at first but, did not last long. I returned to the company that did the tank and they stated it was really only intended for in door use and for it to last out in all weathers they would have to put a clear coat over it. When it came back with the clear coat on it just looked silver/grey  :o

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 10:48:07 AM »
Then we have Goblin Works Garage personly I prefer Mike Brewer with his original mechanic. Loved the episode featuring the Opel GT.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 11:13:47 AM »
Then we have Goblin Works Garage personly I prefer Mike Brewer with his original mechanic. Loved the episode featuring the Opel GT.

Ted, did you watch Bangers & Cash this week? They sold two Mantas, one for over £18k! I had an immaculate Manta GTE until it got written off by a skip lorry who failed to stop and had a false plate😭.
I do agree with Nigel re: Car SOS. Fuzz Townsend is very skilled as both a mechanic and a drummer as are the guys at the restoration workshop. Tim used to get on my nerves but he's calmed down now. Glad to see they've dropped the three week deadline to hand the car back. The worst thing about SOS is the way they put old, pitted chrome back on to a lovely restored car!
I also like Salvage Hunters, I like Drew, he is honest and as Nigel states, he does praise skills. Paul is also a good laugh and tells Drew how it is👍
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 11:20:09 AM »
No but I'll hopefully watch it on catch up - Wendy had a very tidy GT/E in gold with the lovely gold wheels for several years. I always hankered for the  twin head lighted special edition was it the "Exclusive"?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
I have tried that chrome paint some years ago on a CB750 oil tank. It came out very nice at first but, did not last long. I returned to the company that did the tank and they stated it was really only intended for in door use and for it to last out in all weathers they would have to put a clear coat over it. When it came back with the clear coat on it just looked silver/grey  :o
  Sadly, I reckoned that would be the case Graham.
Anyone watched the Richard Hammond classic car resto venture series .... The father and son mechanics are great. Reviews always seem to say that their garage is in Hertfordshire but pretty sure it's actually inu Herefordshire ..Ledbury ?
Flipping Bangers is also another one I watch but sadly only two series although I thought I heard talk of another one at a different workshop location.  ... just wish there was a bike equivalent of all of these programmes ... made in UK of course.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 11:49:26 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal