Author Topic: Crash Hat options & advice/opnions sought.  (Read 1156 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Crash Hat options & advice/opnions sought.
« on: April 21, 2022, 07:22:48 PM »
Now that my lovely British Made Everoak skid lid is in the bin I need to sort out a new one. I suspect that the degredation of my helmet interior might be linked to the contamination from our house fire back in 2017 - quite a few other items have since either failed or gone yellow afterwards.

When I bought my helmet the market place was Polycarbonate, Composite &  Carbon Fibre - I do not tollerate most man made fibres in direct contact with my skin so went for leather interior.
I do not use a Satnavn, phone, or radio but do now have to wear spectacles. I got used to the full face visor but for the speeds I will ride at probably not a must.

Experiences & suggestions welcome please - I plan to go shopping on Saturday as I need to try before I buy.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Crash Hat options & advice/opnions sought.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 07:50:36 PM »
I use an AGV sv3.

Full face,dropdown internal sun visor,a and pinlock anti mist clear visor,

Quite quiet, not drafty, removable lining for cleaning,

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 08:12:53 PM »
I second the AGV, I've had four in my time and they are always quite unlike the Arai and Shoei I've had that have both been really noisy. My current lid is a Arai Chaser but I'll be going going back to AGV when the time comes.
You need to try on a few different makes Ted as they all fit differently, I've certainly got an AGV head. Shark are good as well as are Bell, very retro and would go well with the 400/4.
Try some on and go for fit over looks👍
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 08:15:12 PM »
OK, so Ted.
It all depends on what head shape you have as teh manufacturers have differnt fitment scales. Arai are a bit different as they have different shell sizes also attributed to the size range.
Example being that most manufacturers fit a medium sized shell with XXS internals. It might fit but will be massive on the head of the wearer. Arai have three or four diffwerent sizes thus allowing the helmet to be in size relation to the wearer. We've all seen tiny people with what apper to be enormous helmets on, not a great idea.

Shoei have a narrow fit a bit like am upturned pear. Have removable and washable inners that come in various sizes as you go up the range
Arai have a wide opening and wider crown (my personnal preference)  as they have half sizes and can be custom fit to accept specs etc. Removable inners machine washable and interchangeable.
AGV tend to be a generic fit but the internals could be better and deform quickly making them a bit sloppy in my experience, only the higher up the range will you get removable inners that are washable.
HJC not bad but budget units with one size shell so not good to fit an individual.

As are the majority of manufacturers
Have you thought about a split face helmet so you can wear it with the front up with yer glasses on with no bother and if it gets a bit murk you can pop the front down. A great deal of makers have one in their range and have really good write ups. A pal of mine has one and loves it for the same reasons as you mention with yer specs and hearing biffs.

I would spend as much as you can afford Ted, its alright saying , yeah but Im only pootle-ing but it still hurts at 15mph!

When I was in the industry we used to ask the parents of 'Little Jonny' who upon turning 16 had come to Motorcycle City to get a slow-ped to get to college on in the morning and to stop his parents having to put vasaline on the door knobs to keep him out, yer know. We would say, "So, have you a helmet for him, gloves, boots etc"? at which point a piss pot skid lid would appear and we would be assured that he would wear his denim jacket and he didnt need gloves as it wasnt far and he could always wear his wool gloves if it got a bit nippy.

Our reply weould always include the question, "So, do you remember having a race in the playground and occasonally falling over? Remember how much it used to hurt? And that was at running speed, your sone will be doing four times that, you can see elbows, knees and not to mention palms getting quite badly damaged quite quickly? No?"

The outcomes were usually new hat, gloves, boots, and a jacket and  water proofs. I would always explain to little Jonny that this was the bet year of his life now he had some wheels and he should be having the time of his life get the right kit as if it hurts and you've got wet then its no fun....!

Try EVERYTHING ON Ted, the sales staff wont mind, its got to be right mate.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 09:52:17 PM »
OK, so Ted.
It all depends on what head shape you have as teh manufacturers have differnt fitment scales. Arai are a bit different as they have different shell sizes also attributed to the size range.
Example being that most manufacturers fit a medium sized shell with XXS internals. It might fit but will be massive on the head of the wearer. Arai have three or four diffwerent sizes thus allowing the helmet to be in size relation to the wearer. We've all seen tiny people with what apper to be enormous helmets on, not a great idea.

Shoei have a narrow fit a bit like am upturned pear. Have removable and washable inners that come in various sizes as you go up the range
Arai have a wide opening and wider crown (my personnal preference)  as they have half sizes and can be custom fit to accept specs etc. Removable inners machine washable and interchangeable.
AGV tend to be a generic fit but the internals could be better and deform quickly making them a bit sloppy in my experience, only the higher up the range will you get removable inners that are washable.
HJC not bad but budget units with one size shell so not good to fit an individual.

As are the majority of manufacturers
Have you thought about a split face helmet so you can wear it with the front up with yer glasses on with no bother and if it gets a bit murk you can pop the front down. A great deal of makers have one in their range and have really good write ups. A pal of mine has one and loves it for the same reasons as you mention with yer specs and hearing biffs.

I would spend as much as you can afford Ted, its alright saying , yeah but Im only pootle-ing but it still hurts at 15mph!

When I was in the industry we used to ask the parents of 'Little Jonny' who upon turning 16 had come to Motorcycle City to get a slow-ped to get to college on in the morning and to stop his parents having to put vasaline on the door knobs to keep him out, yer know. We would say, "So, have you a helmet for him, gloves, boots etc"? at which point a piss pot skid lid would appear and we would be assured that he would wear his denim jacket and he didnt need gloves as it wasnt far and he could always wear his wool gloves if it got a bit nippy.

Our reply weould always include the question, "So, do you remember having a race in the playground and occasonally falling over? Remember how much it used to hurt? And that was at running speed, your sone will be doing four times that, you can see elbows, knees and not to mention palms getting quite badly damaged quite quickly? No?"

The outcomes were usually new hat, gloves, boots, and a jacket and  water proofs. I would always explain to little Jonny that this was the bet year of his life now he had some wheels and he should be having the time of his life get the right kit as if it hurts and you've got wet then its no fun....!

Try EVERYTHING ON Ted, the sales staff wont mind, its got to be right mate.

Very well explained Roo. I was told a typical pair of quality denim jeans will last 0.3 of a second in a 30mph get off. After 0.3 seconds your skin takes over protection duties. If you want to see how it feels rub the rough side of a cheese grater against your knees for 5 seconds to simulate the road surface😬
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 09:54:22 PM »
I have the right shaped head for Shoei, and have used them off and on for a long time. Currently have a well used Neotec flip front. Have also had a couple of Arai onesz in between, and actually found I needed a smaller size in Arai than I do in Shoei....which surprised me...but the fit doesn;t lie.

I wear glasses, and had no issues with either.

But as mentioned above, never buy without trying on.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 06:58:25 AM »
I’ve been wearing crash helmets much longer than I have been wearing specs.

When you have to get new specs, make sure you take your helmet to the opticians so that you can make sure they go on properly!

I had Arai for about 30 years and then switched to a Schuberth. Lighter and quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
I use a Davida open - face for riding the older bikes (wide range of colours, mine is red, white and green and has a leather interior) and a Sheoi Neotec 2 for riding the BMW. The Neotec is fitted with the integrated Senna coms system for sat nav and intercom use, whilst with the Davida I use their own separate visor, which works well.

If you do look at Davida, it is, in my opinion important to try them on, as there is little "give" in the lining if you end up with the wrong size (guess how I found out, it cost me another helmet!). The Davida is, though beautifully made and, being open - face easy to fit into the top - box for safe keeping when out and about.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 05:30:19 PM »
I've ended up buying a Bell SRT Split face jobby in White - had to drive to Rebel County to try & buy (Clay Cross) - thanks for everyones input.

Update:- In the small print Bell recommend replacing the helmet every 5 years!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 02:57:41 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 06:29:32 PM »
Nice one Ted, good choice and glad youre sorted mate.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 09:55:31 PM »
I have had all sorts of Helmets over the years but the last two have been Shark......the latest has a flip up section and a flip up Dark Visor. Blo*dy brilliant bit of kit. (NEVER mists up like so many other Helmets do - I reckon because the visor is thicker than other makes) and it's comfortable and reasonably priced.

I really like being able to flip up the front section while waiting at the lights, then back down again quickly when on the move.....same with the tinted interior Visor when you suddenly encounter bright sunshine.  I wear prescription specs/ sunglasses when riding and the Shark helmet accommodates them perfectly.

Suits me anyway - but happy to recommend.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 11:35:07 PM by MCTID »
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2022, 10:16:06 PM »
I've ended up buying a Bell SRT Split face jobby in White - had to drive to Rebel County to try & buy (Clay Cross) - thanks for everyones input.

Update:- In the small print Bell recommend replacing the helmet every 5 years!

They are in the business of selling helmets.   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal