Author Topic: 400/4 build. Paused due to other commitments. But starting up again  (Read 23030 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 build. Paused due to other commitments. But starting up again
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2023, 04:16:19 PM »
I was quoting Rupert Paul whoever he is Roo.

I seem to be treading on everyone's toes today with my blather.🫣
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2023, 07:11:56 PM »
Yep - thanks for the call earlier sir....some things have started to click....

Ted: in response to why ive gone down this route....

1. less wiring.
2. No fusebox.
3. I want to utilize LED lighting (this fits the Munits m.o. perfectly)
4. The amount of times ive come across old bikes on the side of the road dead due to electrics....i wanted, not, to be that person....just to add ive got a digital ignition to add at a later date..
5. The built in alarm.

Its my old mans bike...he passed away 10 years ago now...it doesnt really need them but itll be getting a set of Nitron rear shocks...why, i just want them...its kind of a resto mod...the munit is kinda  part of that.....i full expect to hopefully get it working and then at a later date probably refine it as its the first time ive done it....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 07:17:43 PM by ComfySofa »

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2023, 07:15:26 PM »

AAhh, thats why its tosh then ;D ;D

Give over yer miserable ol bugger, clean something or find summut to do and stop being grumpy ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Online ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2023, 09:09:53 PM »

Rupert Paul used to be a journo on performance bikes 25 odd years ago....i think he now runs his own company called "Rupe's Re-Wires"

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2023, 11:25:09 AM »
If Rupert Paul makes wiring looms he probably/might/will have a built in bias against the M system.

I will be interested to see some photos of the wiring system as it progresses using the Motogadget Box system - presumably there will be an interface at the handlebar an M button?.

The 500 seems to have little built in protection with just one fuse so on reflection it looks an interesting option if you have the wiring ability.

My wiring skills might lead to a spaghetti junction look without being able to get a handle on how it looks in practice. 

Online ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2023, 11:36:45 AM »
Yeah - i think thats where im at...(the whole spaghetti thing) but, another aspect of this is the learning curve....never been good with electrics and thought this would be a good way to learn....i have used an munit before (the older type) and while a mate fitted it all - i will say that with regards to the mbutton and the switch gear (im using all oem this time) i did feel that the wiring was very flimsy and thin (dunno what roo thinks as hes using all that stuff i think) but - the downside is that using the oem switchgear presents its own set of problems as its more custom (getting it all connected and working like it used to)

Left to my own devices yesterday as i said before somethings have started to click and i can start to see, the simplicity of the way the MUnit works...

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2023, 12:36:16 PM »
There's basic difference in concept between the two, discussion may help understanding.

Original would route power to a bulb, for example, by going from battery supply, through the bar switch , then to the bulb. open/close the switch and you cut/connect that route. So very simple on/off status.

M unit, has route from battery supply, through solid state switch (inside M unit) then onward to bulb. That solid state switch interrupts the supply, but its "called" by the remote handlebar switch to ask it to go on/off, hence the bar switch needs only to handle a signal voltage and not full load. Which is why those operating wires are small.

It's effectively all a relay system, the M unit, with power handled by the primary wires, then an overlay of command switching telling the unit what you want it to do with light duty signal system. 

Both are reliable if all built properly and connected well. No particular advantage either way as the whole system is not actually controlling much on these bikes.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2023, 01:13:31 PM »
It maybe "stating the bleedin obvious" (faulty towers reference) but both system requires competent earthing to all components exactly the same, else neither will work properly  :)

Online ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »
This is true but one loom is 40+ years old and the other one is brand new...

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2023, 01:49:39 PM »
Just wot K2K6 wrote ;D

Heaps tidier and a lot less space consuming and of course all the other benefits of alarm. keyless ignition, tracker, position finder, diagnostic screen for problem solving, 'draw down' real time scematic showing individual draw in voltage for each circuit and trouble shooting auto settings so that if there's an issuewith a circuit it will close and re route to get you home showing clear indication as to where the fault lies and what circuit has the error. It is a really good system if you have no loom to start with or components mssing or even fancy having a go or indeed have made up all the items in your loom, its a really realy good application.

Once all the info is in it will track your milage, advise of milage related service intervals tyre reminders, etc. theres lpads of features i cant remember either but its worth a read.

Ted, watch REVIVAL CYCLES TECH TALK on 'wiring your motorcycle' and ' wiring your revival cycles starter solenoid'  (dont buy one from them there 48 quid..........18 over here in the UK.

The wiring kit is dead simple also with every wire printed on it with where it goes and colour coded such as INPUT R IND, OUTPUT R IND, START, HORN etc etc. easy to follow......have a read wiv a brew Ted 8)

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2023, 04:01:24 PM »
Roo, to save me looking it all up, does this device interface with a PC via Bluetooth for doiagnostics (or a smartphone)?
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Online ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2023, 04:08:11 PM »
Theres a smartphone app (which is really nice) but as im only semi-wired in ive not had the chance to use it yet...

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2023, 04:49:32 PM »
Got to ask how do you end up with keyless ignition Roo?

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2023, 09:41:53 PM »
It works blue tooth to your phone or to your PC. I just use the phone app on the 400 and its really good. If I can work it, it cant be half bad.
Ted the keyless ignt is just a setting you can have but basically if your using the app and have it coded to the bike as part of the configuration set up, when within 1,2,3,4,5m of the bike you can walk up amd start it without a key and everything works as it should. What happens when your phone goes flat? Use the keythats in my pocket as I do.
You can do heaps with it. For example I go to the app and look at charging system, turn, say, the indocator on and it shows me exactly what Im drawing to make that work on the bike, what effect thats having on my battery, real time and a host of other gubbins. Handy for problem solving etc etc and looking for bad connections as the failing circuit is highlighted as flashing. You just set up via the brief book and in conjunction with the app it works great.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2023, 10:24:26 PM »
Bloody hell Roo I'm still learning to use my newish phone (5 months) it's a "Lot Smarter than Ted" model a Google Pixel 6 wish I had stuck to Samsung tbh.

Plenty to do before I think about electrics.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal